Looking for info from an old thread

I don't think, though I could be wrong, that this graph is a creation of the Kingsmen.

Thinking the same thing Mike but I can't remember for sure the two or three people who came up with this. From the little I do remember, the early numbers came from researching thru old DC newspapers, scores and anything else that could be found. Can't remember if the numbers include non-competative corps or not.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think, though I could be wrong, that this graph is a creation of the Kingsmen.

Don't forget, it does stop at 2003, numbers-wise.

You are right Mike....

As the one who first posted this graph, I want to make it clear that it is not a creation of the Kingsmen organization.

I have seen this posted on other sites as well. I simply gave the xkingsmen site as a reference because I knew it was there and I could get it fast without alot of searching. I'm going to edit the original post to remove the Kingsmen reference to avoid any confusion.

I'll try to do a little research and see if I can come up with the originator of it....I read where it came from along time ago but don't remember("Old Timer's Disease! :P )

So folks, if you have issues with the material, don't slam the Kingsmen....they didn't create it!

There was a post on here several months ago from a guy in Florida, I believe, who teaches a fully-functioning drum and bugle corps at a high school (and it was a d&bc, not an all brass marching band like Ohio State--there was video). Are they counting stuff like this? I doubt it.

I think you are talking about North Port High School Alliance. They compete in a local circuit against marching bands. :unsure: There is another high school drum corps in Chicago, Kelvyn Park High School. I imagine there are a few more too that haven't appeared in a news story on-line yet.

It would be interesting also to see the numbers between 1950-1972. The one thing that stands out in the 70's is that there were several different years, where there was a drop of 30 corps or more for that year. And while things have stabalized a little the last 10 years, there are roughly 25% of the number of corps from the early 70's.

I don't think this is a problem with DCI. But one thing I am wondering, prior to DCI, weren't there 2 championships during the year? I think one was VFW, but wasn't there another championship crowned during the year? And did corps compete in just one or the other, or did some corps perform in both sets of championships? And was one considered the "major championship"? So in 1972, were there 3 championships during the season? And what year were the last VFW championships? And the other organization folded when?

Just wondering if these were the major factors for so many corps going under in the 70's.

I stand corrected. There are more corps today then there were several years ago. The difference is that they are all-age and high school run units.

Maybe we should be saying that the DCI model of Drum Corps is dying and the old weekend activity is still going strong.

It would be interesting also to see the numbers between 1950-1972. The one thing that stands out in the 70's is that there were several different years, where there was a drop of 30 corps or more for that year. And while things have stabalized a little the last 10 years, there are roughly 25% of the number of corps from the early 70's.

I don't think this is a problem with DCI. But one thing I am wondering, prior to DCI, weren't there 2 championships during the year? I think one was VFW, but wasn't there another championship crowned during the year? And did corps compete in just one or the other, or did some corps perform in both sets of championships? And was one considered the "major championship"? So in 1972, were there 3 championships during the season? And what year were the last VFW championships? And the other organization folded when?

Just wondering if these were the major factors for so many corps going under in the 70's.

In addition to the VFW Nats, there were the American Legion Nats...the US Open, the World Open, the CYO Nationals...as pretty major shows. In 71 the VFW's were in Dallas and the AL in Houston, so some corps attended both. Just about all of the top corps attended the WO in 71, while not all attended the VFW and AL.

Not a bash but finally I see how far back you are going (10 years). As I saw mentioned before 10 years ago both Jr and Sr corps were going thru a very bad time. Glad things are better now but I'll wait another 10 years before I try to find a long term trend.

A reasonable response to this issue. So long as you can at least be willing to accept the fact that things ARE on the up from 10 years ago. No, not quite what it was 20 years ago. But it takes time. It's ridiculous though for anyone to say "drum corps is fying" when the number of corps HAS increased. That's my main point.

If you count Alumni type corps I can believe it.

NO! I'm not talking "alumni corps". Remamber, I said "competitive" corps. Do some due diligance and go state to state and get a head count of all competitive corps - whether championsip attenders or local and I think you would be amazed with what you discover.

I stand corrected. There are more corps today then there were several years ago. The difference is that they are all-age and high school run units.

Maybe we should be saying that the DCI model of Drum Corps is dying and the old weekend activity is still going strong.

Nope. You are not correct here either. I'm not even counting the all aged corps - or the high school affiliates. I'm talking junior drum & bugle corps. This number HAS increased and all it would take to see it is a little bit of due diligance and FAIR research.

Now, it IS true though that the "all age" activity is sky rocketing. If we counted them, we would have a REAL impressive number.

To say that "drum corpsis dying" when we have had one of the quickest increase of corps in the JUST last 5 years since the 70s is uterlly ludicrous and that's the misconception that needs to be demolished IMO.

Edited by torn8o

A reasonable response to this issue. So long as you can at least be willing to accept the fact that things ARE on the up from 10 years ago. No, not quite what it was 20 years ago. But it takes time. It's ridiculous though for anyone to say "drum corps is dying" when the number of corps HAS increased. That's my main point.

OK, ten years ago I was in the middle of my ten year hiatus from following corps. Only thing I know (maybe) from that time is what I've read. And what I read makes me cringe.

NO! I'm not talking "alumni corps". Remamber, I said "competitive" corps. Do some due diligance and go state to state and get a head count of all competitive corps - whether championsip attenders or local and I think you would be amazed with what you discover.

OK again brain fart from my 48 year old mind, I missed "competative". Open question to anyone who knows than I do about the Junior corps world (and that's about everyone). What Junior corps competitions still exist outside of the DCI umbrella? And are there any good sites that list the results of Junior shows over the years? I'm currently researching when certain Sr corps have competed but running into a brick wall on the Jr side for some reason.