BOA News Release

just got this in an e-mail today from BOA.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 31, 2006

The undersigned entities and persons have jointly released for public knowledge the following release and informational statement.

The undersigned wish to confirm their mutual respect for the rights of composers, the integrity of copyrights, the value of music, and the importance of music education. Consistent with these views, the parties acknowledge that composers and publishers have the inherent right to be properly compensated for the commercial use of their music, and the corresponding right to enforce theirs copyrights by legal action if necessary. This naturally includes those instances in which copyrighted compositions are performed, recorded, and subsequently distributed in CDs, videos and/or DVDs. Recently, the undersigned have been involved in litigation related to the foregoing. We are pleased to announce that we have resolved that dispute. In so doing, we look forward to the continued promotion of music education (both curricular and extracurricular), while adhering to the important and beneficial safeguards of the U.S. Copyright laws.

Bands of America

Scott McCormick, President and CEO

Eric Martin, Vice President and COO

Johan de Meij

Philip Sparke

Jan Van der Roost

Stephen Melillo

Amstel Music, BV

De Haske Music Publications, BV

Anglo Music Press

Studio Music Company

Stormworks

Makes me understand why more corps these days are turning to original music composed by their own staff. But, does anyone know what "dispute" they're talking about? Is it a specific case or a general one?

ok given corps AND band in the past few years have not recieved copyrights to rearange music for field show

Johan de Meij I know for one is very opposed to his work being rearanged

I work for the company that is the us distrbuter for the above stated . And no there not playing around man these guys mean business

I know for a fact this is not the only problem with these works there was some runarounds in DCI...

as for the original music people doing some of the writing also have to be carefull because some are under contract by there company not to arrange for anyone but the company that hired them ..

I heard it involved the production and distribution of videos, DVDs, and CDs of the shows. Even though the bands may have gotten permission to arrange and perform, they did not ask to record or distribute those arrangements. But I could be completely wrong.

You know, the composers listed on there have been very agressive about "protecting" their copywrites. Maybe people should start avoiding their music just to avoid any possible problems.

This is all we need.....more lawyers involved!!! j/k :D

I heard it involved the production and distribution of videos, DVDs, and CDs of the shows. Even though the bands may have gotten permission to arrange and perform, they did not ask to record or distribute those arrangements. But I could be completely wrong.

You know, the composers listed on there have been very agressive about "protecting" their copywrites. Maybe people should start avoiding their music just to avoid any possible problems.

yep, and it's only ging to be worse with file sharing etc

Well, actually, speaking of file sharing . . . I am amazed that the DCI videos are available on Google Video. That is just blatant copyright infringement.

But also, with the "original" music concept. You really have to be careful there too, you might get a little to close to one paricular work and your "original" music might turn into an infringing derivative work. It's a very precarious situation, I'm sure.

Also, as far as rearranging goes, I'd be interested to know if that's something in the individual licenses that these particular composers has or is it a general clause in the license for any work?

No offense intended to fans of those composers, but...well....

NO BIG LOSS.

Frankly, it's not like these guys are Beethoven, Shostakovich, or Prokofiev. Heck, they're not even in a league with Grainger, Persichetti, or Dello Joio.

They write ok music, some of which is enjoyable to listen to (I admit to enjoying "Dance Movements" by Sparke, but can't claim to enjoy a single work of the other three), but none of it is music that I think is going to stand the test of time...I'll be very surprised if we're still talking about Sparke, Melillo, De Meij, or Van der Roost in 100 years, much less 250.

This is only MY opinion, it is just as fallible as yours, and it is just as likely to be wrong or right as yours, but...honestly, there's LOADS better music out there that corps could be looking to arrange, and much of that superior quality music is in the public domain.

I mean, I like "Dance Movements" and all, but it's no "Les Preludes" or "Sinfonietta" (the Janacek, not the Dahl).