2004 Caballeros

Well guess it is my turn to write something.

All the years in discussion I love. 95, 96 and 03,04 each show was fun to play. Of course winning is always a bonus! I must say that in the realm of the caballeros it is the 96 and 04 corps that keep becoming more historic as time goes by. There is something about both of those corps that either "strike a nerve" or gives us that "warm" feeling. Both those corps while so good were so different also.

1996 was the culmination of the corps starting in 1991. Same consistency of members (for the most part) and just the historical aspect all rolled into one big beast. The show was designed so well with an opener to this day I consider one of the best in DCA history. One famous quote I remember from our horn instructor Mike Longdo that year goes something like this...."You know you had a great show when the crowd goes crazy for you. BUT you know you GOT the crowd when at a point in the show you hear nothing. Silence. You can feel the crowd is with you. It's when you hear the silence you know you got them" And if you hear the silence after the big hit in Avita in 1996 you will know exactly what I am talking about. That quote sticks in my head like no other I have heard in drum corps mostly because watching that video in the post today it still gets me every time. SILENCE. It is unreal and if you have ever marched before and are lucky enough to experience it then I don't really need to explain any more.

2004 now was the same to me as 96 yet completely different. Again we did not win but in drum corps we all know you can't always win. (Unless you marched brigs in the early 2000's DAM they were good) 2004 again was the result of a consistency of membership from 1999 IMHO. There again was this bond in the membership. 2003 like 1995 really kicked it off and propelled the monster of a corps 2004 was. With the addition of that drum line we had this spark that said from the get go "Lets do this!" Now unfortunately things did not turn out the way we wanted. Maybe we bit off a but more than we could chew. I know I couldn't breathe at the end of the opener!!! hahahaha But again from a design standpoint that show was huge.

Either way both corps were probably numbers 1 and 2 so far in my personal Hawthorne Best's. Which one is first and which one is second I have no idea. (Right now I lean to 1996) but after I watch 2004 again I will probablean the other way.

In any case I got to play a duet with both Ponzo (1998 Malaga) AND TWICE with Curt (03 and 04) SO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now somehow I gotta get Donny Allen to march Cabs so I can get my top three.

NOW in closing look out for 2006. I think EVERYONE is gonna love this show. And come seasons end all of our lists I feel will need to be re-evaluated!

thanks for letting me ramble,

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for letting me ramble,

Ramble on my protoge...ramble on!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the corps in Harrisburg......trust me on this....drink ORANGE JIUCE, or ORANGE DRINK right before you go on......chops for DAYS!!!! LOL

Looking forward to seeing the corps in Harrisburg......trust me on this....drink ORANGE JIUCE, or ORANGE DRINK right before you go on......chops for DAYS!!!! LOL

Ah yes my Alumni Brethren I do miss the "bug-juice" before shows!

Adam, well done my friend.

With that said. DRCman Keep an Eye out for when the 04 Finals are put up on the site. I think finals was far better than prelims when you see you can let me know what you think..

Now onto Harrisburg!!! Let the Fun Begin!!! (continue I should say we have been having fun already this season)

I wish I could come to Harrisburg, or any other D&BC show in the near future. I haven't marched in quite some time...

Having said that, I did get a chance to go to Clifton in 2004. Brought a guy who hadn't marched with or heard a corps since he was a teenager, back in the late 1960's, but is actually a professional musician. We had the chance to get close up against the fence to watch Hawthorne's encore/standstill. He was absolutely blown away... could not believe what he was hearing (or seeing... DRUMLINE!). That book was just amazing. Original, complex, traditional and emotional all in one.

Seriously, i can't say enough about it. I used to say that best drum corps shows were from the old days... 60's and 70's. Not after that one... no way.

Adam,

I will see you in Harrisburg this weekend. I think Timmy is coming with me...

Great response!!!

Donny

So I competed against 95 and 96 with Empire...and I could handle getting beat by those corps BECAUSE they were so good. But I couldnt EVER take getting beat by the Westshoremen...

DUCKING and RUNNING, but truthful.

Donny

'66 Cabs will always be special to me. First time I saw them. 1970 is my absolute favorite year. For thirty-five years now, I have been singing that show in my head, and loving every note! I have goose-bumps right now...thinking of all the memories!

I remember talking to many 'youngsters' in the activity who like to brag about "this jr. corps, or that jr. corps, and how 'great' they are...(yadda, yadda)" My response..."The Caballeros have WON more shows than "that" corps has ever been in!" Without a doubt, from a historical perspective, no other corps even comes close to the Hawthorne Caballeros! B)

Another great tip Frank. ( I drink 24 oz. of O.J. per day minimum). Aside from that......Just finished cleaning my Melli for SIB and I continue to use your method for oiling my valves.

Best tip I ever got. (got a few 1/16th licks that have to be clean) Looking forward to "Latin Express" too. Hope to see you at the party