1978 legacy

I tried to watch my 78 Legacy last night and I feel completely ripped off. The shows were good and all but the camera work and redubbing of the show to dvd is AWEFULL. I don't think there was more than one show without a shake, or blackout or some kind of age related screw up. Is everyone else haaving the same problem or did I get a bad dvd? The music is good even when the blackouts occur.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I experience the same thing with my '77 and '78 Legacy DVDs. I don't feel like I got ripped off though. No expert here for sure. I just figured that DCI put together the best product that they could given the technology at the time the shows were originally filmed and the condition of that film when the Legacy DVDs were produced.

That was the problem with doing the show live. I understand that the station doing the broadcast had a problem with a field camera that they were unable to identify or fix. So you are correct, it is not the best production they could have put together, but they had no fall back that they could use on the DVD other than the recording of the live broadcast.

My understanding is that the original tapes had degraded significantly, and this was the best they could do with what they had . . . unfortunately. Yes, I wish it were better, but to have this is better than nothing. But it also bears no resemblance to what experiencing those shows live was like.

I completely understand the problems that occured, I just don't see a justification for the same price as those that are flawless. I am also glad to know that it wasn't just my copy. I too would rather have that then have nothing.

My problem with the 77 and 78 productions is that the producer (at least for Scouts) seemed to be in love with the rifle line. Not only were the cameras on them for extended lengths of time but even when the corps was doing something important. In 77 Officer Krupke, in a company front half the corps goes down on one knee to match the lyric "Dear Officer Krupke, we're down on our knees" But you would never know there was a company front because the camera was on the rifle line!

My problem with the 77 and 78 productions is that the producer (at least for Scouts) seemed to be in love with the rifle line. Not only were the cameras on them for extended lengths of time but even when the corps was doing something important. In 77 Officer Krupke, in a company front half the corps goes down on one knee to match the lyric "Dear Officer Krupke, we're down on our knees" But you would never know there was a company front because the camera was on the rifle line!

I don't own any of the other Legacy DVDs. I'm hoping that they have improved in terms of getting the whole corps. In '78, Regiment's field coverage was huge and the shots were focused in so tight that many times the corps looks small and sometimes appears as if we didn't even have a flag line. I'm sure I'm stating the obvious. Rifles in the two years we're talking about get a lot of face time because they are often front and center in the drill. It's easy to get them.

I don't own any of the other Legacy DVDs. I'm hoping that they have improved in terms of getting the whole corps. In '78, Regiment's field coverage was huge and the shots were focused in so tight that many times the corps looks small and sometimes appears as if we didn't even have a flag line. I'm sure I'm stating the obvious. Rifles in the two years we're talking about get a lot of face time because they are often front and center in the drill. It's easy to get them.

Yup, that was true for most of the corps, but I found it especially glaring with Santa Clara's show. At least back then, Santa Clara was very much a "big picture" corps. Focusing on certain segments only made them look cluttered. Mile High Stadium is . . . well, a mile high! They should've been able to get a camera higher up than that sort of mid-level shot between . . . I don't know, I'll have to look again, but it seems to me it was like between the 30 yard lines. So that gave all the corps a "squeezed" look, and as you say, so much was left out.

Dan, I understand your frustration about the focus on the rifle line, and all that was missed in the process, but there was a good reason why that rifle line got so much attention! :laugh:

Still, I'm sure that feels like all the prolonged pit shots that came later on in the '80s. Man, did we ever miss a lot on the telecast because of those shots.