Why do so many II/III corps go to Dynasty over others?

yup, they're cheap.

Horns... serious tuning problems, but i think it just depends on the model. The dynasty horn that i tried at the dynasty both in 2004 was amazing, alot different from the horn that ECJ use.

Drum... cheap, but like you said before, you get what you pay for. Sound just depends on the the players, It can be either horrible, or amazing. Quality.... yeah.... just horrible after awhile. Shells collapsing and frames breaking after 3 years, not good.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dynasty - good customer service in my experience....

My corps is going from Jupitar to new Dynasty horns this season, I'd say that's a definite move up. We started marching a Dynasty battery last season and this year we are adding Dynasty front ensemble as well. Our drumline sounded okay to me and the only problem I remember us having was the tenor shells, which Dynasty quickly replaced while we were on tour. The keyboards sound good...but we have only had them since March, so we'll see. :)

I don't see why everybody bashes Dynasty's so much. Blue Devils does fine with them. They are no harder to tune than any other brand. Just breath and play, and adjust accordingly. As for tone . . . that is debatable. But they do tend to have a much brighter sound than other brands. Me likey King the most though.

I put "we'll see" specifically for you Carl. lol

Our boards will look as new in August as they did out of the box last month, I will make sure of it. If they don't...people will suffer. ^0^ If any of my Vibes end up like that picture you took, I might...okay I will cry.

I don't see why everybody bashes Dynasty's so much. Blue Devils does fine with them. They are no harder to tune than any other brand. Just breath and play, and adjust accordingly. As for tone . . . that is debatable. But they do tend to have a much brighter sound than other brands. Me likey King the most though.

From what I have heard, the Blue Devils Dynasty horns are a different model from the standard ones everyone else has. It's like they are custom made for them or something like that. Then again I could be making that up, but I'm pretty sure I remember our brass tech who marched BD telling us something to that effect. Anyone able to back me up on this? Brian? Tony?

I'm learning why the Dynasty bugles are getting a bad wrap.. Mainly due to corps buying horns from one corps some from another, and so on.. A matched set of Dynastys tune and play good together. Kanstuls are a little easier to tune with different vintaged bugles. The Dynastys tend to play on the flat side and the Kanstuls tend to play Sharp so mixing them doesn't always work out..

The valves on the dynastys aren't built better than the others. But they aren't as likely to stick, like the Kanstuls and Yamahas do. I still haven't figured that one out yet.

From what I have heard, the Blue Devils Dynasty horns are a different model from the standard ones everyone else has. It's like they are custom made for them or something like that. Then again I could be making that up, but I'm pretty sure I remember our brass tech who marched BD telling us something to that effect. Anyone able to back me up on this? Brian? Tony?

Yeah, BD's horns are different (not that chappy played on them... When he marched in 99 they were still on the original three-valve G Kanstuls they got in 93.. I think that's the year) - at least from the ones we own. Their horns have the tune-any-note valve, which is basically just a trigger and slide you can use to adjust the pitch on any note. So I'm sure that helps them when it comes to tuning. I'm sure since Wayne Downey and BD are one of their main advertisers they make sure to take care of them real well. When it comes to a Div. 2 corps, I don't think they really care as much.