Best Arrangements

Disagree. They added some parts to finale from the 5th that were just useless GE moments. That really bothered me.

The masterwork was all Shostakovich, very little on the part of PR's arranger.

I didn't realize that Shostakovich actually wrote for drum corps. :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree. They added some parts to finale from the 5th that were just useless GE moments. That really bothered me.

The masterwork was all Shostakovich, very little on the part of PR's arranger.

I think I know the section you are talking about, but if so, it's only ONE thing that the arranger changed. You're talking about the added mellophone chromatic triplets near the very end, right?

Off the top of my head (other than necessary cuts in the music), I can't think of another spot where the intent of the original is changed.

As for your last sentence....well, technically, you're right...but then that also applies to ALL drum corps who are using source material other than original music composed for corps. The masterwork is (and always SHOULD be) on the part of the composer, whereas the arranger can add or detract from the effect (in drum corps terms) based on their skill and their choices.

Still, all things being equal...I think Jim Wren did a pretty darn good job with the 1996 Regiment show.

for shows post 1990, which I'm frankly more familiar with

Star of Indiana 1991 (entire show), 1993 (entire show)

Phantom Regiment 1993 (Fire of Eternal Glory), 1996 (entire show), 2003 (Sanctus/Canon)

Blue Devils 1992 (When a Man Loves a Woman), 1994 (entire show), 2000 (entire show), 2004 (Concierto de Aranjuez)

Santa Clara Vanguard 1998 (entire show), 1999 (The Canyon), 2000 (Stained Glass)

The Cavaliers 1995 (entire show), 1998 (Largo, Machine), 2000 (entire show), 2004 (Cuba). I really can't include 2001-03 since those were originals.

Glassmen 2001 (entire show)

The Cadets 1992 (entire show), 1998 (entire show), 2002 (early season version of "The Place Where Dreams Come True"), 2005 (Dancer in the Dark)

Bluecoats 2001 (Red Cape Tango), 2002 (Dancer in the Dark), 2005 (Incantation)

Madison Scouts 1995 (Concierto, Malaga), 1999 (entire show)

Edited by d_grey

Still, all things being equal...I think Jim Wren did a pretty darn good job with the 1996 Regiment show.

Heck, Jim Wren did a good job with EVERY Phantom show he arranged. The guy is/was amazing and his arrangements most times were as close to the original scores as anybody has ever written. There were some Regiment shows that I didn't care for as much as others, but I would always admit that the arrangement of those shows was always incredible.

I'll give a special nod to "Remembrance" by the 98 Scouts (better than 90 IMO)

I really liked Danse Bacchanale that PR performed in 90/91 (was it the same arrangement both years? I forget)

I loved the arrangement of Largo from 89 PR

I loved the arrangement of Largo from 89 PR

I love the ride cymbal.

Seriously, I really do.

Arrangements: All of Wayne Downey's compositions have been stellar. In the true spirit of jazz, he has taken many non medien pieces and have scored them for contemporary jazz. "Happy Days are here again" in 88 was just brilliant...great variation on a theme. His treatment of the Dan Ellis stuff in 93 was pretty innovative...nothing like the original, but definitely recognizable. His recent work is just super...would like to hear studio ensemble play some of his stuff...he really is talented!

Spirit of Atlanta has a blessed history with arrangements:

Robert Smith's/Mike Back's arrangement of "Sweet Georgia Brown" for 1986 Spirit was really cool, but it starts beating a dead horse in the ground.

Ray Baumgardner (sp?)'s arrangement of "Blues in the Night" was simply spectacular...i hear they will have bits and pieces of it in this year's closer.

Of course Jim Ott's "Georgia"...nothing like the original, except for the simple concept...no wonder this is the most played marching band chart of all time.

Compositions: A Florida Suite version 1 (1985 Suncoast) by Robert W. Smith...man, that was better than broadway...guy is very talented. his concert band stuff is incredible. 1986's Stan Kenton charts were also neatly arranged...who could forget 88 suncoast and that wonderful array of motifs spread out over the opener.

1988/89 SCV-Phantom...if you have heard the original, you will prefer SCV's symphonic version...they add greatly to the charts.

91 crossmen, although they really werent "arrangements" persée, they were performed with the same intensity and drive as PMG. One would almost think they were specifically composed for corps.

A lot of shows werent arranged, but more or less transcribed (like many Cadet shows, Cavies(with exception to the original stuff) and Phantom)...they still performed brilliantly, but not quite fair to give them credit as being "great arrangements"...that would have to fall back to the original composer.

1983 - 1987 Garfield Cadets

1984 - 1985 & 1995 Blue Devils

1985 Suncoast Sound

1985 Troopers

1986 Cavaliers

1991 Crossmen

1991, 1993-1996, 2003-2005 Phantom Regiment

Parts of shows that were just plain good

Any year Suncoast played "Aquarius"

1984 Phantom's "Scythian Suite"

Any Blue Devils' arrangement of "One More Time..."

Shows that weren't as technically proficient as the top corps, but the arrangements were good from and entertainment standpoint that I keep them on my iPod simply because I enjoy listening to them.

1989 Florida Wave

1999 Colts

1999 Carolina Crown

1984 Avant Garde

1984 Geneseo Knights