How you can deal without marching?

I miss it too, Genevieve. I really miss playing (so I still buzz in the car on my way to work). I really miss hanging out with you, Christine, Brigs South, the Baltimore Crew, etc., etc. (Happy Hours with co-workers are NOTHING like the Colorado or the Waterfront!)

BUT, I know there are some other things I want to try that I haven't had the chance to do over the past 12 years. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it through the whole summer, though. Since I really don't think it's a good idea for me to start a family right now, I guess if I get really bored, I can always try to learn French! :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have missed marching for some 10 years now. I was a drummer in the 70"s... Red Carpet Association..CDCA ODCA etc..etc.....had fun and enjoyed competition...then we went for the gusto and old guys with the help of young people finally did the DCA gig...I was hooked but the spirit was willing the body was not...after a couple years... left.....went did other things........but you know what??? I am a volunteer now...just helping out with the corps...cooking and encourageing the young folk to enjoy , focus and learn....music is the best way ...team work...and just being part of the community that will always be there for you...there are many corps that just keep giving..to youth..to the activity...not always dci calibre..but just a great bunch of kids who want to play and perform.... I miss marching...I really do...I was a so so drummer....but man I enjoy helping the kids now...we need more of this..grassroots drumcorps ...music is power!!!!!! God Bless Drum and Bugle Corps......enuff said

It's saturday night 10 p.m. the rehearsal is done, people are going to the bar for a few alcoholic beverage (or not) and me.... I'm at my place.... coming back from a nice dinner downtown with my husband, rent a dvd, ready in front of the tv with a glass of wine... I should feel really nice but, I feel like I'm not alive anymore........

It's the first time since 1993 that I'm not involved with any drum corps. Marching or Teaching.

Is anyone of you is in the same situation?? How are you dealing with that?

You don't know how I feel here in Baltimore Having nothing to do but Golf and Coach my son's Baseball team. I am putting some drum corps energy into my big band and Prime Time Brass but in no way is it filling the Void. I am doing everything possible to stay away from drumcorps because I'm afraid that I will get sucked back in. I miss you and all the brigs very much and I wish this year never happened and we could all go back to the way things were a few years ago. I'm sure in time this will pass I hope !!!!!!! but what we had and who we were will never go away Thats what i miss the most is my friends the long drives the long nights at the bar the crazyness after the bar. It can never be erased!!!!

Edited by stanstill2001

You don't know how I feel here in Baltimore Having nothing to do but Golf and Coach my son's Baseball team. I am putting some drum corps energy into my big band and Prime Time Brass but in no way is it filling the Void. I am doing everything possible to stay away from drumcorps because I'm afraid that I will get sucked back in. I miss you and all the brigs very much and I wish this year never happened and we could all go back to the way things were a few years ago. I'm sure in time this will pass I hope !!!!!!! but what we had and who we were will never go away Thats what i miss the most is my friends the long drives the long nights at the bar the crazyness after the bar. It can never be erased!!!!

Amen, brother.

Those were some good times, eh??

Those years will never be forgotten. :)

All my time spent in corps, was either cut short or spent in corps that, for one reason or another, never got off the ground. You'll excuse me if I say I feel a bit cheated. I think about it every day, in one capacity or another. If you watch me, from time to time, I've been known to snap to attention and march a few steps in the store. It's really hard. But I still have some years left in me. I attend shows when I can (went to the Charleston, WV show last year and introduced my soon-to-be next wife and her family to it). And as soon as I get out of school and get settled in a job, I'm going to try for The Presidents. They're the closest one to me. Either that, or I may start my own. We'll see. For now, I busy myself with my family and I am fulfilling a minor dream of mine. I'm a DJ on my school's internet radio station. Until I can fulfill my drum corps dream, I will simply make do.

Edited by I.R. Baritone

it took 3 years to finally adapt. the key was going to a rehearsal and watching people sweat their ##### off running around while i stood in the shade sipping a cold beverage

It's saturday night 10 p.m. the rehearsal is done, people are going to the bar for a few alcoholic beverage (or not) and me.... I'm at my place.... coming back from a nice dinner downtown with my husband, rent a dvd, ready in front of the tv with a glass of wine... I should feel really nice but, I feel like I'm not alive anymore........

It's the first time since 1993 that I'm not involved with any drum corps. Marching or Teaching.

Yes, after many years of marching and/or teaching I got out of it last year. I miss it! I want to do it again! BUT, I love being with my wife!!! If it means sitting next to each other on the couch watching a movie or American Idol or rubbing lotion on her feet or massaging her back and neck or lying in bed watching TV. Lying in bed drinking coffee and reading the morning paper on Saturdays and Sundays, going shopping, going to the beach, going to Disney Village for dinner. I don't miss drum corps that much.

Don't get me wrong I love our activity and would love to get back into it but I LOVE being with my wife!!!

Find a new hobby. It's not hard to do.

Eventuallly we gravitate back to what we need.

Me, I was burned out from running a sr corps for 9 nine years.

Had to spend some time getting my life and career back together.

But the playing bug was still in me. So, I started a group that I DID have time to play in.

We started as a mini-corps 12 years ago, then morphed into a jazz ensemble and eventually a big band.

I was able to re-start my career, a new family and build a new home all the while that I was still playing with a pretty hot (local) band.

it made me think, for quite some time, that this drum corps thing COULD be done, and still have a life; if it were structured the right way.

Hence: the Albany tk2 project.

We're planning a group for experienced veterans who want to have a life AND still blow the doors down.

You don't have to be away from it altogether. Just have to find a way to get your fix, AND live the rest of life as well.

Edited by brassomaniac

It's really interesting to see all of your answers, how it can be different for each person!!

Scott, you exactly feel what I feel!! I would give anything to come back couple years ago, when we were all together and kick some serious butt on the field! It was so amazing! Not taking apart our looooong night at the bar! moohahahah!!!

The reason why I can't do it this year is that my husband cannot accross the border for couple months. He's proceeding to get his permanent visa here. (He's from Belgium) And I don't want to let him spend his summer week-end here alone, it would be too selfish! I know that I will be back on this field again one day... but for right now it's really weird!! It's twice as hard it would be with all the offers I got for marching or teaching... D##M! Can it be september NOW!!! hehe

I sincerly wish to all drum corps people a great summer, no matter what you are doing!

Genevieve xx