How you can deal without marching?

I have filled my life with God, church, family...

Although drum corps has made me what I am - dealing with issues and work ethic etc.

I went on a mission trip with my daughters last summer and survived just fine in a 3rd world country - thanks in part to what I learned in corps.

It was one of the best experiences of my life! :P

Kids.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After I quit marching I filled it with job and starting a life out of school (finally)....

When I quit going to shows I filled it with marriage and working at my church. (Still can't believe they wanted me as council VP. :grouphug: )

Now with Alumni I'm parading until my feet give out (not a joke)......

Some of you have left drum corps, but...

No matter how much time passes, you will more than likely get sucked back

into the line.

Keep in mind all you folks with health ailments, there is always alumni corps.

All ya gotta do is sit on your but and do a few parades, if ya can.

It's all good.

We'll be waiting for you.

Genevieve, I feel fortunate to have heard you play. If you never pick up a horn again it would be a SIN. You'll burn in ####.LOL You have a gift. Dont ever forget it.~grins~

You are so right Cindy. I left drum corps, returned to the alumni, now back with the corps as you know.

:( I miss being with my Brigs Buddies soooo much!!!! My dad has been ill since around Halloween. I have had to stay home to help out...which of course is very important...but i still have missed going up and seeing everyone. Looks like I will be able to keep my staff position at Brigs and start coming up next weekend. Looking forward to seeing members of my Brigs family!

Teddi

:( I miss being with my Brigs Buddies soooo much!!!! My dad has been ill since around Halloween. I have had to stay home to help out...which of course is very important...but i still have missed going up and seeing everyone. Looks like I will be able to keep my staff position at Brigs and start coming up next weekend. Looking forward to seeing members of my Brigs family!

Teddi

Teddi!

I miss all of my Brigs Buddies too! It sucks living so far from Syracuse...

Hope your Dad gets better soon.

Shane

I marched from 92-98.

Memorial Day 1999, I was at my mother's house for the weekend - no parade to do....what did I hear outside the bedroom window at 8:30am?

The highschool's drumline warming up for their town's parade later that day. They were *right outside* the window. :laugh:

I found not marching easy to deal with that morning.

It's saturday night 10 p.m. the rehearsal is done, people are going to the bar for a few alcoholic beverage (or not) and me.... I'm at my place.... coming back from a nice dinner downtown with my husband, rent a dvd, ready in front of the tv with a glass of wine... I should feel really nice but, I feel like I'm not alive anymore........

It's the first time since 1993 that I'm not involved with any drum corps. Marching or Teaching.

Is anyone of you is in the same situation?? How are you dealing with that?

I left marching in 1971...long time ago......spent the next 20+ years doing the same as others have responded to you. Raised kids, coached baseball and hockey and basically forgot about drum corps, except for the odd trip to Hershey or Allentown for DCA finals.

In mid '90's got back into alumni corps then quickly realized it "wasn't enough". Marched one glorious year with Kilties ('99'). Now with Empire (closer to my Toronto home by just a few miles!). I'm sure you will find happiness outside of drum corps, but it will always be there, inside you. This is one marvelous fellowship.

For those who feel they are too old......get your butt to the gym. You'd be surprised what relatively healthy 'seniors' can accomplish these days. But it is like quitting smoking......you have to want to do it. Thats all it takes.

Teddi- Best Wishes to you and your dad. Hope he's well soon. :)

From my short experiance with a DCA corps I know how all consuming it is. I lasted 7 months till my muscles cried "Enough already!" LOL

For what ever reason we have to, stand down, and get back to the real world.

Drum corps will always be there waiting.

Some of you go for years without a break and you all owe it to yourselves to do so, from time to time.

Just take a year off and relax. No guilt. They'll survive without you.