Suprises of 2006

A lot of people like Capital Regiment, they have a ton of potential and also did last year but they just didn't want to work. Let's see if it changes, they could be pretty good I think as well.

And you base this statement on what exactly?

Having volunteered with them last year, I can tell you those kids were DEFFINATELY working.

The entire guard staff, minus one, QUIT on them mid-season. What did you want? Meteoric rise to the top 12?

Considering all that staff stuff, they did VERY well and I'm proud of them.

Edited by geluf

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you base this statement on what exactly?

Having volunteered with them last year, I can tell you those kids were DEFFINATELY working.

The entire guard staff, minus one, QUIT on them mid-season. What did you want? Meteoric rise to the top 12?

Considering all that staff stuff, they did VERY well and I'm proud of them.

Someone on their brass staff told me personally, he was very frustrated about this and said that was their only problem, now why would a staff give up on someone...? Could it be unenthusiasm or not wanting to push and work hard enough..? Hmm

Edited by aatlb25

A lot of people like Capital Regiment, they have a ton of potential and also did last year but they just didn't want to work. Let's see if it changes, they could be pretty good I think as well.

Could you please clarify that, because if I'm interpretting it as you intended, I'd say that's a rather bold statement to make...

I believe my corps handled every issue we encountered last season marvelously well...from a show that from the start was probably above our heads [but hey, we lived for that challenge, and I know <b>*I*</b> wouldn't have had it any other way], to a show that was unfinished design-wise until several weeks into the season, to a show that lacked any significant GE [sorry, Sharky...], to a significant portion of staff members leaving mid-season [including the entire guard staff, save one], to numerous logistical/mechanical problems that in one case left the staff in one state and the kids in another, leaving us on our own to run our rehearsals for an entire day.

I'm not trying to make excuses, as I'm sure each corps has its own share of issues throughout the season!! But I'm saying this only to help everyone realize that to say the members of Capital Regiment 2005 did NOT work our hardest is absolutely false! We thrived for the technical challenges our show provided us, and made the best of the difficulties and mishaps presented to us on the road. I'm 100% proud to say I was a member of this corps, and I honestly do not believe we could have handled anything better or worked much harder than we did last season.

Corps will ALWAYS deal with unforeseen circumstances on the road, like breakdowns and such. But with some more care on behalf of the design team to complete the show WELL BEFORE the start of the season, and without key staff bailing on the corps mid-season, I have no doubt as to the possibility - dare I say probability? - of Capital Regiment jumping several placements within the next year or so.

yeah um....

WOW.

what a ridiculous statement.

Wisconsin has had 2 corps in the top 12 during the same year, I think... Anyway, sorry if this got off topic.

3. Blue Stars

4. Madison Scouts

5. Kilties

2. Madison Scouts

6. Kilties

12. Blue Stars

1. Madison Scouts

5. Blue Stars

7. Kilties

5. Madison Scouts

6. Blue Stars

10. Kilts

4. Madison Scouts

8. Blue Stars

12. Kilts

Hasn't the guard been an issue with Cap. Reg. for the last 2 years now? I remember hearing they let go of a guard instructor or she quit during the middle of the 2004 season. I think her name started with M. I mean no offense on the next part, but I have read many members' blogs about that season and how frustrated they were with their director being lets say "uptight".

I think corps like Cap. Reg. who have many members still in high school compared to lets say BD need to understand where their staff is coming from. You may want to act like the big boys but really you aren't. If I was a director with many kids under 18, you bet I would be pretty tight to. That's a lot of responsibility for any director to have. I guess being in educaton I see their point more than the members.

BTW I am very proud of last year's members of Capital Regiment. I remember at the beginning of the summer the fans were writing how the show made no sense, seemed incomplete, and was a lack luster effort from the design team. You proved everyone wrong by the end of the year. That show came a long way and it's one of my favorite shows to listen to on the CD's. I also think Cap. Reg will eventually make it into finals this year and if not in the very near future. There's just too many positive things happening with this organization.

Back on topic, I'll be surprised if I don't enjoy my summer watching all the shows. I haven't been this excited for the season to start in a long time!

3. Blue Stars

4. Madison Scouts

5. Kilties

2. Madison Scouts

6. Kilties

12. Blue Stars

1. Madison Scouts

5. Blue Stars

7. Kilties

5. Madison Scouts

6. Blue Stars

10. Kilts

4. Madison Scouts

8. Blue Stars

12. Kilts

Thank you for the clarification! I was thinking Wisconsin HAD to have had more in there. I just forgot where Kilties were from! :worthy: COOL!

Staff leaving doesn't mean that the kids don't work hard, it could have been a management situation. To say that the members of a corps does not work hard is pretty harsh. Probably one of the most rude things to say. Were they not out there every day of the summer working. If I remember correctly, their brass was getting beaten by Pioneer at one point early in the season and to finish .1 from top 12 (quarter finals) just screams to me that they are lazy!! You should watch what you are saying, if you had ever marched corps you would know that it is a full time job and requires 110% every day from you.

Hasn't the guard been an issue with Cap. Reg. for the last 2 years now? I remember hearing they let go of a guard instructor or she quit during the middle of the 2004 season. I think her name started with M. I mean no offense on the next part, but I have read many members' blogs about that season and how frustrated they were with their director being lets say "uptight".

I think corps like Cap. Reg. who have many members still in high school compared to lets say BD need to understand where their staff is coming from. You may want to act like the big boys but really you aren't. If I was a director with many kids under 18, you bet I would be pretty tight to. That's a lot of responsibility for any director to have. I guess being in educaton I see their point more than the members.

BTW I am very proud of last year's members of Capital Regiment. I remember at the beginning of the summer the fans were writing how the show made no sense, seemed incomplete, and was a lack luster effort from the design team. You proved everyone wrong by the end of the year. That show came a long way and it's one of my favorite shows to listen to on the CD's. I also think Cap. Reg will eventually make it into finals this year and if not in the very near future. There's just too many positive things happening with this organization.

Back on topic, I'll be surprised if I don't enjoy my summer watching all the shows. I haven't been this excited for the season to start in a long time!

As far as "acting like the big boys", I would say the design team shoulders a great deal of responsibility when it comes to that. Since 2004, with the addition of Wayne Dillon as program coordinator, and Jay Bocook and Jeff Sacktig of The Cadets writing for brass and drill, respectively, the musical and visual demand has been upped to something comparable to the corps far ahead of us. I will be the first to admit that the demand placed upon our group might have been above our heads and beyond our talent level, however I believe the members embraced the challenges presented to us and we did our best with what we were given. I know I sure am proud of what we were able to accomplish last year. And once again, I must insist that, as a whole, we did put a great deal of energy into what we did. If it's true that a brass staff member felt this way, he certainly didn't voice it to us.

Thank you for the compliments, though! I agree, the show did come a long way throughout the season [THANK GOD!] , and although I'm biased, it's one of my favorites on the CDs as well. Exciting stuff! :P