Carmina Burana?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any corps ever used Carmina Burana as part of their source music? Obviously, it's kinda long, but I'm assuming no corps had made a full show out of it. Any info would be great!!

Most recently, Blue Stars in 2000.

BLUE STARS

Consistency is a hallmark of Blue Stars, as the corps has placed in the top five in every Division II or III World Championship since 1987, and has won the Division III Championship twice.

This year’s show is Carmina Burana, utilizing seven movements from the over two dozen comprising Carl Orff’s dramatic cantata. The work is based on a collection of 13th Century student songs and poems that were discovered in a Bavarian monastery.

The movements extracted for the show include some of the most melodically lilting and rhythmically captivating pieces in contemporary symphonic literature, including; Were diu werlt alle min, Tanz, In taberna, Veni, veni, venias, In trutina, Ave formosissima, and O Fortuna.

In 1989, Limited Edition from Columbus, Ohio did some movements from the work and placed 24th.

Edited by Michael Boo

Has any corps ever used Carmina Burana as part of their source music? Obviously, it's kinda long, but I'm assuming no corps had made a full show out of it. Any info would be great!!

Several Corps have done so in the past. Here's a list of the JR corps that have done it from www.corpsreps.com:

1975 Black Knights Carmina Burana

1975 Kilties Carmina Burana

1976 St. Francis Xavier Sancians Carmina Burana

1977 Bluecoats Carmina Burana

1978 Northstars Carmina Burana

1979 The Cadets Carmina Burana

1980 Offensive Lions Excerpts from Carmina Burana

1981 Valley Fever Carmina Burana

1982 Royal Grenadiers Carmina Burana

1982 Valley Fever Carmina Burana

1983 Royal Grenadiers Carmina Burana

1986 Connexion Quebec In Trutina (from Carmina Burana)

1986 Connexion Quebec O Fortuna Plango Vulnera (from Carmina Burana)

1986 Connexion Quebec Ecce Grattum (from Carmina Burana)

1986 Connexion Quebec Taberna (from Carmina Burana)

1986 Connexion Quebec Tanz (from Carmina Burana)

1989 Blue Stars Carmina Burana

1989 Limited Edition Carmina Burana

1989 Sky Ryders Carmina Burana

1999 Marquis O Fortuna Plango Vulnera (from Carmina Burana)

1999 Marquis Ave formosissma (from Carmina Burana)

2000 Blue Stars O Fortuna

2000 Blue Stars Ave formosissima

2000 Blue Stars In trutina

2000 Blue Stars Veni, veni, venias

2000 Blue Stars In taberna

2000 Blue Stars Tanz (from Carmina Burana)

2000 Blue Stars Were diu werlt alle min

2003 Raiders Carmina Burana

It was really cool to hear Blue Stars and Limited Edition arc up and combine hornlines in the lot and play "O Fortuna". That was during the 1989 season. Also that season Sky Ryders played it too. So actually ALOT of corps have played the music, just not really recently. I hear it is hard to get rights to arrange... :worthy:

Edited by jjeffeory

Im entreagued to know how any corps who has done music from Carmina Burana has been able to get the rights to it, thats if they even did ... The Orff Family is VERY VERY anal about the work being performed ouside of a orchestral or ballet setting.

on a side note next month will be my 2nd time singing Carmina Burana this year alone so far.

I've seen a lot of marching bands use Carmina Burana. I recall Northmont High School in Ohio as doing it a few years back. It was quite good.

Im entreagued to know how any corps who has done music from Carmina Burana has been able to get the rights to it, thats if they even did ... The Orff Family is VERY VERY anal about the work being performed ouside of a orchestral or ballet setting.

on a side note next month will be my 2nd time singing Carmina Burana this year alone so far.

If you notice from the previously posted list, alot of the corps that played it were from back in "The Dark Ages", before DVD, CD, etc... sales were a big thing. Back then, (at least through when I aged out in 81) copyright permissions were something that nobody ever thought about. If you wanted to play a piece, you arranged it and did it. Heck, in the 70s, every other corps on the field was playing something by Chuck Mangione, and copyrights of his stuff were never an issue. C.M. actually became quite the Drum Corps fan (B.D. performed with him) and even credited Drum Corps with helping his rise to popularity.

It wasn't until all the sales of recordings started getting big and money was being made that this ever became an issue.

Just my $.02 :)