Corps watching Corps

When I marched I never got to see another corps show. I think it would great to have been able to see the others sometime during the summer.

How hard would it have been to take a day at say Allentown and have each corps perform for each other, Make a day of it. Have a giant BBQ and let the kids mingle and get to know each other. It could be in the Monday after a Regional.

What do you all think??

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why anyone would object!

I think this is a GREAT idea that should be explored.

Something similar happened with the Tour of Champions in 2004 - where several corps (Cavs, BD, Cadets, Phantom, Madison, and Vanguard) traveled from Denver to California and performed in 3 field shows and a theater presentation. Enroute, they stopped and rehearsed for a day or so in Utah, and from what I heard - it was a magical experience for all that were involved. Combined rehearsals ... time to see one another's shows ... and a round-up of the kitchens - where members could eat off any of the 6 kitchens there, sampling one-another's goods.

I was lucky enough to see all FOUR of the performances that week .... and I have to tell you, it was an incredible experience.

I'd sure like to see DCI could pull something that cool off again soon ..... HINT, HINT.

-john

I think when you are touring the country with a group, you shouldn't be a drum corps fan... You got a job to do.... Watch shows when you are done marching :o)

It couldn't hurt one day. It might help the corps themselves in a motivational way.

"Whoa corps A is definitely some competition check out those feet!"

thats a great idea.. but realistically not really possible. i do know that at Allentown, since its split 2 days, they let us watch the 2nd day.. since we performed the first night.

other times we were able to watch shows from the end zone..

but the biggest "downfall" of marching, is that you never get to actually see it. especially back in the day when technology wasnt as advanced.. the members never got to see what their final product looks like. i remember marching, and then near the end of the season getting to see a tape of the show.. and thinking.. wow.. i never knew that happened..

When I marched I never got to see another corps show. I think it would great to have been able to see the others sometime during the summer.

How hard would it have been to take a day at say Allentown and have each corps perform for each other, Make a day of it. Have a giant BBQ and let the kids mingle and get to know each other. It could be in the Monday after a Regional.

What do you all think??

Scheduling is a big problem here. For example, there are two Division I shows the Sunday after Allentown. From the looks of the DCI calendar, there are DCI shows the day after major regionals throughout July. (I didn't look at June.) So many Tour and Event Partners want shows and the day after a major regional is a great time to get corps heading somewhere from somewhere else.

Your idea is a fun one, but it wouldn't be practical unless you wanted to sacrifice a travel day or another show. Perhaps at those other shows...but you'd have to convince corps they really, really, really wanted to give up a few hours of rehearsal in order to perform for one another.

Last year Phantom and us did the same 4th of July parade in the morning. We spent the rest of the day playing frisbee, football and chilling out, and then performed our show and some encore music in an arc for the other corps. Then we got to eat a combined meal.

It really was a lot of fun, and, if scheduling permits, something that i think could benefit members in the future.