Blue Stars impact on DCI

Divisional Impact  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Based upon the success of the Blue Stars this year, do you think more Div II and Div III corps will try to attain Div I status?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Based upon the success of the Blue Stars this yea, do you think more corps that are now exstinct from Div I will make a return attempt?

• Yes
    • No

All I will say is that just because one may START a thread, that does NOT exempt them from the community guidelines.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, let's look at it this way. Blue Stars move up to division I in 2006. Troopers go inactive for 2006. My point?

It is all a matter of how the corps is operated, monies available for operations, how the corps markets themselves, recruiting, and geographic location. These are just a handful but frankly with our current economic enviroment, any corps could potentially have problems.

Blue Stars have positioned themselves at this point to move to the division I arena, while other Div. II & III corps choose to keep their numbers small. Success for Blue Stars this year could be measured in being able to field a corps at division I size this summer with minimal operational issues. Hopefully their instructional staff has extablished realistic expectations for the summer. Improve each day, and let's see where they are when the dust settles.

Troopers will regroup and God willing, they will be back next summer.

What the Blue Stars do, and if they succeed or fail, will have no bearing on other DII/III corps. Any such jump to making a bigger production is a choice made by each individual corps, and it should be based on if that corps' members and leadership will take on that extra effort.

I wish the Blue Stars luck, and I predict that they'll really make a splash in DI for years to come. They've got a history to live up to. But their move should not be something that prompts others to make the same move.

First of all, there are other corps that have folded and returned to DCI to do rather well, even top 12 status, after being out of the acitivity.

I voted no on both questions, simply becuase whether or not a corps makes a jump to Div 1 is not based on how another corps did. There are too many midigating factors involved. To say that the Blue Stars success would be an inspiration would be another thing. But their success would be based on the strength of the corps management and their "business plan". And to say that other corps would be able to use the same path that the BLue Stars have would be highly irrespnsible as well.

I answered no to both questions.

It won't have any effect on Div II/III corps wishing to move up. ECJ will try again I'm sure. Arizona Academy will try I'm sure. These things have been in the making for some time. If I remember correctly, there might have been another corps who applied last year and was denied as well, don't remember who. But yeah, I don't see any other corps attempting to go Div I. Spartans don't want to, and no one else is ready I don't think. I think a corps should spend a few years at or near the top of the heap in div II before they even consider making the jump, which is why I don't even think Blue Stars will do as well as everyone else thinks they will.

Basically the question is, how can a corps be competitive in div I without being extremely competitive in div II. I'm not talking about just Blue Stars here either. For any other corps to move up would be silly. I think every corps in div II should stay there for at least another year, except Academy, only cause I donl't know much about them. But there was a large score difference between the 1st and 2nd place corps to the 3rd and 4th place corps. and a much bigger one as you go down the line. We all saw what happened in 2002 after having Capital Regiment and Mandarins absolutely dominate division II (other than Magic because they are an exception) only to barely make semifinals. i'm not sure, but I think one of them didn't make semifinals......so yeah....we'll see.

and I highly doubt that defunct corps will come back because of the Blue Stars. I wouldn't put them on such a high pedistal like some people.

I answered no to both questions.

It won't have any effect on Div II/III corps wishing to move up. ECJ will try again I'm sure. Arizona Academy will try I'm sure. These things have been in the making for some time. If I remember correctly, there might have been another corps who applied last year and was denied as well, don't remember who. But yeah, I don't see any other corps attempting to go Div I. Spartans don't want to, and no one else is ready I don't think. I think a corps should spend a few years at or near the top of the heap in div II before they even consider making the jump, which is why I don't even think Blue Stars will do as well as everyone else thinks they will.

Basically the question is, how can a corps be competitive in div I without being extremely competitive in div II. I'm not talking about just Blue Stars here either. For any other corps to move up would be silly. I think every corps in div II should stay there for at least another year, except Academy, only cause I donl't know much about them. But there was a large score difference between the 1st and 2nd place corps to the 3rd and 4th place corps. and a much bigger one as you go down the line. We all saw what happened in 2002 after having Capital Regiment and Mandarins absolutely dominate division II (other than Magic because they are an exception) only to barely make semifinals. i'm not sure, but I think one of them didn't make semifinals......so yeah....we'll see.

In reference to your second paragraph. What about D1 corps at the bottom of the Top 24,i.e. Pioneers, Kiwanis, Troopers, etc? These corps have been struggling for years just to remain in the Top 24 yet, with the exception of the Troopers, they all continue to survive and compete as a D1 corps year after year. And as we all know, the Troopers, along with the blessing of DCI, intends to return next summer as a full D1 corps. Even though you may disagree. I seriously doubt that any of them will want to relinquish their D1 status and return as a D2 corps. Even though they could POSSIBLY score and place higher in that category. Like you said, yeah, we'll see.

so basically...the success and decisions of every other corp in DCI are dependant upon the actions of the blue stars? :ph34r:

Can one corp have this power and influence? :laugh:

don't the 2006 blue stars already have a lot to live up to?

or is this possibly just a hype trap?

good luck and fair game blue stars. B)