Star

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dang guys... i dont think there was any harm in him/her starting a tread to ask about star... it was innoccent enough and this prooved to be an educational experience for me. I think its a compliment to the corps that so many people are still interrested.

I never said that they bought their way in, I had just heard that they bought a corps that was folding...that doesn't mean the members. That could mean that they bought the equip and other items as such in order for the corps to perform. I know that the Manadrains bought Stars buses and such.

Nope....Star had brand new everything...that's what Bill's money bought them....that and the ability to PAY staff for their services. I believe they DID get members and staff from corps that had either folded (Pride of Cincinnatt was one of them, I think) or were on their last legs (Bridgemen == DeLucia).

Cook himself always regretted the "best corps monay can buy" comment he made...I think he knew the moment it crossed his lips that it would come back to haunt...and it did for all 9 years of their DCI tenure...plus a decade + since....all unwarranted, and demeaning to one #### of a corps that worked just as hardf -- perhaps harder in many ways -- as any corps out there.

I guess all of this has been covered before but all of you 'seasoned' vets must remember that there are always young members here who have not heard these stories. No harm repeating a bit. Maybe we should re-tell some of these stories in more places then the historical section. The kids today should learn of folks like Jim Jones, Gail Royer, George Zingali ect. They should have at least an understanding into the the VFW and Foreign Legion years and the founding of DCI. Maybe an explaination of the Tic system and how we grew to the judging system of today. In short, what's wrong with a little info?

It amazes me to this day the stories I hear about my corps. Despite Mr.Cooks excellent recollections, there remains a huge cloud of mystery over the Star years. It is usually a source of great conversation when drum corps people learn that I was one of the founding members of the corps. They usually relate to me all sorts of tales they heard about how we bought 'this' and the members where paid 'that'. I tell them the real tales and they seem somewhat sad to learn that it really was a bunch of IN bandos with a few good instructors. I am just happy they still remember us. :)

Yes, the Pride of Cincinnati contributed some of the final members to Star after our tour was cancelled after the State of OH shut down our bingo. Star sent a bus to Cincy to pick us up. If I remember correctly maybe 10 or so of us Pride folks marched Star that year, with a similar group going to Suncoast and even a few folks in 27th.

Yes, the Pride of Cincinnati contributed some of the final members to Star after our tour was cancelled after the State of OH shut down our bingo. Star sent a bus to Cincy to pick us up. If I remember correctly maybe 10 or so of us Pride folks marched Star that year, with a similar group going to Suncoast and even a few folks in 27th.

Yep, I remember I got close with a bunch of Pride alumni that came to 27 (some in the mellophone line with me,) after they folded. When Memphis folded, a bunch of us went to 27 as well, and I know some of our people were from Bloomington and went on to march Star...some ended up good friends of mine from Indiana. Hey Michael, do you know Maggie (she marched baritone with us) I think she marched with you.

OH and just and fyi for anyone who reads the history Bill Cook provides, he stated that our corps (27th Lancers) folded in 1985, which was not true it was 1986 and that was the year they helped us get to finals in Madison, I think he had his years mixed up...I don't know why so many get that bit of our history wrong, maybe because we fell out of finals in 1985..but anyway...I have tried to contact someone to ask them to change that but oh well...

Edited by Lancerlady

Ummm, guys.... why is everyone jumping all over AZEuph. If you go back and read his posts, it is fairly obvious that his intention was to ask about Star's history. And for that, you guys are jumping all over him. He never ONCE said anything negative about the orginization.

I understand Star has recieved a lot of crap in recent years, but those of us who truely understand the orginization and appreciate everything that Star has contributed to the activity, we know these alligations are false. You can't please everyone, and you have to let the naysers go.

You and I know the real history and the true contribtions, what other people say can't be controlled. And along those lines, jumping all over someone that is simply asking a question about the true upbringing of Star makes the orginization look that much worse.

If you want to share the true history behind Star of Indiana, than make it a positive. You are the ambassadors of the Star legacy, and its your job to provide a positive insight into one of the truely great youth arts orginizations that has ever graced this country. By using these forums to snap at someone with good intentions, you make yourself and Star look that much more guilty of the false rumors that are being spread by a few angry fans.

If you want to jump all over someone for starting a harmless thread, do it in a private message.

In my opinion, not cool

Edited by Newseditor44

dang guys... i dont think there was any harm in him/her starting a tread to ask about star... it was innoccent enough and this prooved to be an educational experience for me. I think its a compliment to the corps that so many people are still interrested.

Agreed and good point.

I guess all of this has been covered before but all of you 'seasoned' vets must remember that there are always young members here who have not heard these stories. No harm repeating a bit. In short, what's wrong with a little info?

Agreed and good point.

Ummm, guys.... why is everyone jumping all over AZEuph. If you go back and read his posts, it is fairly obvious that his intention was to ask about Star's history. And for that, you guys are jumping all over him. He never ONCE said anything negative about the orginization.

If you want to jump all over someone for starting a harmless thread, do it in a private message.

In my opinion, not cool

Yeah, I never sensed Azeuph was trying to start something. However, Azeuph, from personal experience on DCP, sometimes it just doesn't matter. I've written very positive threads and, on occasion, someone will bite my head off for something that just wasn't there in the post, totally unjustified, as if there were some made up subliminal message they mysteriously conjured up in their minds. It's AMAZING!! Either people take your thread negatively without any help from you, or they just SEEM to enjoy conflict. I don't know. All I can say is, you're not alone in being criticized without any justification. That's just the way it is. :laugh: :sshh:

Edited by HISop

And if you don't see Star bashiong, you're not reading the right threads...at least 75% of threads that focus on Star in ANY way turn into a slamfest fairly quick...and always on the same issues...i.e.Bill Cook and his $$$....and no amount of confirmation of how MANY times Cook bailed out other corps because it was the right thing to do will ever convince some people that Star didn't raid other corps for members and staff or buy their way into finals...sheesh.

I disagree. Maybe I've not been reading the right threads, but it seems like the attitude towards Star here on DCP is overwhelmingly positive. And negative opinions usually seem to be borne more out of ignorance than dislike. What you say may have been true years ago, but I think that most intelligent corps fans have seen the light. I sure didn't see any "Star-bashing" on this thread, anyhow ... just an innocent question.

I still don't see why a person should have to do "research" when it's just as easy to come to this discussion group and ask a question. I think it's a better use of DCP than umpteen zillion prediction threads or asking "what's your favorite ..." (even though I've participated in, and even started, some of those threads). People want to learn, and some people may not be aware of every single corps-related resource that's on the web. I wouldn't have known about Mr. Cook's reminiscences if I hadn't been pointed towards them by someone here on DCP a couple years back.

Glad to know I'm "all knowing." Another line for my resume.

Maybe I've not been reading the right threads, but it seems like the attitude towards Star here on DCP is overwhelmingly positive. I sure didn't see any "Star-bashing" on this thread, anyhow ... just an innocent question.

I was going to post a similar comment. I don't read DCP every day, nor do I have 4,000 post, but all the posts I've read concerning Star have been positive. Most people state things like "I wish Star would come back," "Star was ahead if its time," "Do you think Star will every come back?" etc. I guess I'm showing my ignorance, but before this thread, I never knew there was any question about Star's integrity. I choose not to believe rumors and assume Star was just an all too short lived great drum and bugle corps.

Edited by HISop