$$$Help Save Drum Corps$$$

Rather than turn over a check to a corps that can then be used in whatever way is seen fit, I participate in sponsorship programs. For the last several years I've sponsored 3-4 kids to march. Most corps have such programs whereby contributors help defray the cost of membership fees, tour fees, etc. In this way, I know my money is being used to directly support the kids.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people know I am not a fan of the way DCI and drum corps in general is heading. That being said, I also know you cannot turn back the clock. In my day when corps were for the most part local groups and corporations were more likely to be locally based it was easier to get a local company to be a sponsor.

No one can predict what will happen to fuel costs. I like the idea of a fuel card and think that is the route I will take with the corps I support.

Rather than turn over a check to a corps that can then be used in whatever way is seen fit, I participate in sponsorship programs. For the last several years I've sponsored 3-4 kids to march. Most corps have such programs whereby contributors help defray the cost of membership fees, tour fees, etc. In this way, I know my money is being used to directly support the kids.

A great idea. But just keep in mind (discussed in another thread earlier this year), contributions like this are not tax deductible.

Here's an idea for those of you like me who don't have a lot of discretionary income to toss around as donations -- consider contacting the local beverage distributor who sells gatorade or other sports drinks in your area or the area your favorite corps is in.. call them up and ask them what it takes to get an in-kind donation.. speak to a local rep about it (they usually have monthly product allowances for things like this) and try to get some powdered sports drinks to your favorite corps.. likewise with other non-perishables or when a corps is in town, ask your local grocer for in-kind donations of produce or non-perishable stock coming close to expiration -- they can't sell it even though nothing's wrong with it.. and a corps will often be able to use it before the expiration hits anyway.. and I have yet to see a corps turn away a donation like this. Last year in May, somebody showed up to Blue Stars camp with BOXES of fresh lemons.. that day, we used them in EVERYTHING.. they went in the water we boiled chicken in, they went in the water we served.. we used them for cleaning.. basically, they got used.. so don't think a cook staff doesn't have a use for something. They'll find one..

With a little creativity, a little time and a little ingenuity, you can make a big impact -- even if you don't have a lot of money or time to spare. Use the skills you have.

Stef

I recently recieved a plea from my alma matter requesting donations. The literature suggested that it costs between $5K-$6k per member to put the corps on the road for the summer, so raising tour fees to that level would not work. They need other sources of income to make up the difference between the budget and tour fees.

When I ask myself how much I paid for my summers on the road....I GOT A BARGAIN! It kills me that some of my fellow alumni don't think they owe the corps anything. I get told "I paid my tour fees" or "I didn't have a tech for three weeks one summer...boo hoo". Many other alums do donate time and money.

I think we should all look on drumcorps and realize that we got bargins to be a part of a tour. As fans we also get a good bargain at shows. I don't want people to be forced to support corps, but we should all be helping according to our means. If you can volunteer one camp then great, skip a night out or a luxury item and donate a few bucks to the corps thats great too. Heck, just skip the case of beer for the parking lot buy a tee shirt!

I love the other suggestions too. Make a few phone calls or write some letters for donations, you will be suprised how corporate America responds. Don't forget the thank you letters so they remember you next year! I can't tell you how many times I got something for my corps just by asking.

It isn’t going to work. I’m not going to feel guilty because my contribution “only” consists of buying tickets. Plus a souvenir or CD.

I joined drum corps because I enjoyed it. I loved what I did. When the effort became greater than the enjoyment, I retired.

I never signed a lifetime contract to support my corps, any other corps, or the activity. Part of what my corps is today, and part of what drum corps is today came from my sweat. It was a fair deal.

It’s time for corps leaders to grow up. I’ve been involved with non-profit organizations for nearly forty years. I know that any organization with any hope of surviving had better understand basic budgeting. If it costs $5000 to put a member on the field, that corps had better realize $5000 in revenue for that member. If they didn’t learn last year, they will hopefully learn this year – fuel is expensive and outside the control of the corps. A fuel contingency should be included in the budget and not spent on new guard equipment or more amps.

Stop whining. Stop begging for my money. Control your costs. Balance your budget.

Last year Memphis Sound put out an email and posted it on their website regarding a gas fund. Since I feel like a part of this organization/family due to my Memphis Blues ties, I donated last year and intend to do so again this year. The way they handled it was brillant. They not only said thank you but let you know you knew where your money was going to. They posted on the website the people who donated in particular to the gas fund.

Maybe other corps should take a cue from this so those who want to donate to specific areas will feel more comfortable knowing their donation is going where the corps says it's going.

I also chose to sponsor a kid to march and it just so happens he too marches division 2. So my money is going for division 2 corps this year. :)

I can understand why some would feel "concerned" about knowing where the money is going too, I had a similar experience while helping another corps a few years ago get donations. So it does happen, they say it's going towards something but then it doesn't.

Edited by Lancerlady

Then don't.

Presume when requests are posted and corps send out fund raising letters that you were mistakenly included and they weren't really addressing you.

Feel free to throw any solicitations away unread.

Feel free to skip over posts on message boards that talk about helping junior corps meet their financial needs.

Seriously. No one is trying to make anyone feel guilty -- no one can, in fact, "make" you feel anything you don't agree to in the first place..

However, I believe an emotional appeal for support for all the things alumni got and are getting from drum corps holds as much validity here and in this activity as your personal opinions about and reasonings for not wanting to contribute beyond your ticket and a souvenir or two.

Enjoy the season!

Stef

P.S.

Do you feel the same way about the Red Cross? Catholic Charities? The United Way? The Humane Society? These are all non-profit organizations who also "beg" for money.. shouldn't they just "grow up," "balance their budgets" and stop begging for your money, too?

Edited by ScribeToo

If you feel that you support corps by buying souvies or tickets, then that's cool.

If you feel you support them by volunteering, that's good, too.

If you feel you support them by giving big out-of-pocket donations, or donating to their fuel funds, that's great as well.

The important thing to remember is that this isn't a pissing contest about who gives the most, or does the most.

Every bit...from everywhere...helps.