[ And of course the Caballeros Alumni corps will hopefully be holding their Fall show again at the Convention Center. I hope!

Yours in Drum Corps - Thom

thom@thewildwoodsreporter.com

www.TheWildwoodsReporter.com

Thom,

We were told by Pete Bishop that the fall show is not on the schedule and probably won't be either.

Apparently too big a loss leader for the city.

Ray

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ And of course the Caballeros Alumni corps will hopefully be holding their Fall show again at the Convention Center. I hope!

Yours in Drum Corps - Thom

thom@thewildwoodsreporter.com

www.TheWildwoodsReporter.com

Thom,

We were told by Pete Bishop that the fall show is not on the schedule and probably won't be either.

Apparently too big a loss leader for the city.

Ray

Ray, I don't know what the financial side of the show is but I do know that it is a great show. If we could only find a way to hold it earlier, sometime closer to the end of the season when there are actually people here and things to do for families.

I realize you can only schedule a show when the corps and the city are all available at the same time, but I always thought it was too close to Holloween weekend. Kids are in school, their parents have to get ready for trick or treat, plus there isn't really anything here on that weekend for anyone to do except see the show and then turn around and go home.

A lot of good people down here are working to make the Wildwoods a year-round economy. We believe this will begin to happen once a few of those giant doo wop condotels start opening, which will bring more people to the convention center more often, which will force other businesses to start staying open in order to support more and more conventions and shows, etc.

But the bottom line is that for the time being we should try to find a way to hold the show earlier in the fall. Look at the Irish Festival. That show went from a few thousand visitors in the beginning to what it is today. I heard someone actually estimate the Wildwoods had over a million visitors or more over that one weekend.

If there were a way to hold the show at Convention Hall on that Saturday, a lot of people would come for it. They could do the show on Saturday, and be free to take in the Irish Festival or Seafarers Festival during the rest of the weekend. Could you imagine the draw if we could say, "see corps on Saturday and check out the Wildwoods version of Mardi Gras on Sunday," for example.

I also think that if there were more people in town earlier in the fall, we could really hold a first-rate parade on the boardwalk to draw non drum corps visitors into the show.

For those who remember their history, that's what Barnum and Baily and the great John Philip Sousa always did. The circus always has a parade of elephants when they hit town, and Sousa always liked to parade through town and end at the concert location. He'd really make a spectacle of his entrance, play his top hits of the day, and tell the crowd right in front of the hall, "If you want to hear more, you'll have to see us inside."

It can be done. If only...

Thom B)

didnt the vfw convention used to be held in sept?? I remember going to wildwood twice in the summer, once at the beginning and again around labor day.......true?

I remember that...the two veteran conventions were sort of bookends to the season...one early and one around Labor day...I think the Saturday AFTER Labor Day, actually.

In Garfield we had a LOT of holes for the late show...as kids were off to college by that time.

Legion convention was the week after labor day/DCA.

It was great being in Sun as we weren't sponsored by any NJ post and could enjoy being on the "play something" side of the street. LOL

We would meet at a designated spot/motel and party.

All the corps were great, one their respective DM's saw us a rolloff would be called and we would give them a standing O as the played past.

Sadly, the Legions national office ruled that the state convention could not be held after the National convention. That's why the dates changed.

Legion convention was the week after labor day/DCA.

It was great being in Sun as we weren't sponsored by any NJ post and could enjoy being on the "play something" side of the street. LOL

We would meet at a designated spot/motel and party.

All the corps were great, one their respective DM's saw us a rolloff would be called and we would give them a standing O as the played past.

Sadly, the Legions national office ruled that the state convention could not be held after the National convention. That's why the dates changed.

The other advantage the Legion show had over the VFW was that the ocean was VERY warm in September....freezing in early June.

Whew, I thought I was losing my mind as I'm getting older. For me the SEpt legion show was the best. the last hurrah before starting school. We all used to get an early jump going to wildwood, would either leave thursday night or fri mording for the festivities.... and an early stop at Kelly's for a beer.......

i heard SogFest 2006 was cancelled???

smart call!!! :laugh:

<--- veteran of SogFest 2003

Edited by LegalEagle50

Ray & Tom

We are working on a few things to see if we can come up with a better time of the year to do the Alumni Show.

We hope to try to piggy back the show with another event. Unfortunately the weekend after DCA which was the week of the legion states is now bike week. It would be hard to compete with between 50,000 and 75,000 bikers.

However Lets not forget June 15, Cabs at the Beach (Shameless Plug)

Mike have you gotten your tickets yet? :wall:

Ray & Tom

We are working on a few things to see if we can come up with a better time of the year to do the Alumni Show.

We hope to try to piggy back the show with another event. Unfortunately the weekend after DCA which was the week of the legion states is now bike week. It would be hard to compete with between 50,000 and 75,000 bikers.

Mike have you gotten your tickets yet? :rolleyes:

Hey, Al - Good to see you and all the Cabs the last couple of weeks. Between the last camp and the Elks parade, you guys can now be called official residents of the Wildwoods - like me!

I'm glad to hear you're working on holding the fall show earlier in the season, It'll be a big draw earlier. And I'm sure aware of how difficult it is to compete with all the bigger events in the fall. I used to be Special Events Coordinator for the city back in the day. Try coordinating almost 200 events a year so they don't conflict with each other. It's a real art. (North Wildwood - the "parade capital of the state" - God bless 'em, has been known to have two different parades on two different streets at the same time. One on Surf and one on Atlantic. Now that's coordination).

There are a couple of new variables coming up this year that may or may not help in your decisions. As you know, the mayor is trying to get more bleachers for Maxwell Field. I believe the new 900-plus higher seats will be added to the old, smaller, bleachers to make more than 1200 or 1300 total seats, on concert side alone.

Hopefully the new bleachers will get their first use at the Jersey Surf show on July 15th. THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, DRUM CORPS IS FINALLY COMING BACK TO MAXWELL FIELD AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!!!!!! (Details to follow in another post).

Also, when the doo wop museum and bandshell is constructed at Fox Park across from the convention center, (SOON), that might be a good location for small outdoor concerts (mini-corps, or individuals, for instance).

I know there are a lot of things to consider, like competing events and location availability for example. I also know that Maxwell Field might be a little "different" for a standstill location if the hall is unavailable. But, hey, we've all done standstills on football fields, right. (Can you imagine the tailgate party we can have at Maxwell)? And besides, the weather down here in September and EARLY October is just the best. And the ocean temp is above 75 that time of year, too.

I hope things can be worked out so we can keep the Alumni show here. At least now, we'll have more options.

Thom B)

P.S. I got my ticket for the Cabs Beach Party on JUNE 17th the other day. (Date "typo" on your post)? DID EVERYONE GET THEIRS YET? Call the Mayor's office at (609) 522-2444 if not. (Preferred seats this year).

TheWildwoodsReporter.com

you changed the date of the show??? :music:

:rolleyes: