Marching with a brother/sister

thats why so many corps kids receive nicknames.

I marched with my two brothers for years.

It created a lifelong Bond .

CHEZ

same goes for my parents.

thety were volunteers for the corps.

they witnessed the hard work and dedication we all went through. it changed our relasionship.

I urge all to get your parents involved.

CHEZ

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they witnessed the hard work and dedication we all went through. it changed our relasionship.

CHEZ

Everyone in my family was involved except for one sister (the black sheep-lol). Me and one of my brothers, Kenny, joined at the same time. We fought all the time on the bus the first year until he found a girlfriend. As time went on, he became a 1st sop while I went to the mellophone line and we really didn't associate much as he had his frineds and I had mine. Meanwhile my sister, Krisanne, joined the Class B colorguard while my youngest brother, Keith, went to the cadet drum corps. In 1982, I marched with Krisanne but Kenny took a year off. In 83, Kenny came back and I taught both him and Krisanne. 84 is not a good year to talk about but all three of us were there. Keith came in full time in 85 and I also taught him (he was a bass drummer).

My dad (marched with St. Kevin's) drove bus and my mother (she marched with St. Patrick's colorguard in Stoneham, MA) was a volunteer. Both my parents also worked the one bingo we had as well as the Las Vegas nights the corps ran.

By the way, notice a pattern with the names. The other sister's name is Karen.

CHEZ

I agree. My parents have been involved in corps non-stop since 1963. Since retiring, they have traveled the entire tour with the corps they are with. Now, my wife and I are doing the same with our son. It really does make the family alot closer sharing the "thrills" of tour.

I didn't march in the same corps with any siblings, but my brother was in BDB when I marched.

They were on the Northwest tour with us and stayed at the same housing site one year. When they were staying at the same site, it was understood that we also had the responsibility of looking after them, since some of the kids were quite young and they had a limited support staff.

One night in Washington, I was told that a couple of kids had snuck out of the gym, so, I went to track them down. In the dark, I couldn't see too well as I was approaching them, but see this blonde girl sitting on a swing kissing some guy. When I shined my flashlight on them, I see that it is actually my 12 year old brother.

The equipment trucks for both corps ended up being unusually clean on that tour (not to mention my shoes B) ).

... and now he and his wife now live in WA, not too far from that school.

I marched with my kid sister for 2 years, 1988 Santa Clara Vanguard, and 87 SCV "B" Corps. After that, I joined the Blue Devils while she stayed in SCV and we competed against each other for 2 years.

Actually, we were much closer when in competition against one another than when we were in the same corps. The only family we got to see while on tour was each other, which always made us that much happier to see each other, and we always got a kick out of being in rival corps.

The one year our mother came to DCI Finals she had a jacket custom made with both corps logos with some sort of "SCV - BD Mom" jargon on it, was a big hit LOL

I marched with one of my brothers. Two years younger, he got me into corps in the first place. Then I taught the much younger one. Then I taught all three of my daughters (in different corps). Now the whole family is touring. I teach visual, as do the two older girls, the youngest is still in corps, and my wife (who never marched, but is a strong supporter of corps' value) is managing souveniers.

I've enjoyed it all. Sharing something that means so much with people who mean so much is great.

I love the fact that my sister and I are in the same corps. It's more fun at family gatherings when we tell a funny story from the summer cause then between the two of us we get more of the details right :P Plus, when your airmattress grows a hole, you have a guarenteed temp replacement (even if you have to share). If you have a couple things more than your bag can hold, you can throw it into your siblings bag if they have the room and then you know your stuff is going to make it back home :) Plus, we can spin together at home. It makes me look a little less crazy when both of us are out at 3am spinning on the front lawn lol.

i marched with my brother in AA in 04. He was the drum major and i was/am in the mello section. i gotta say if you march with a sibling, you better hope they arent a major. since we carpooled for obvious reasons. i had to be the first one there and the last to go home everyday! ..not fun. luckily, it being our first year out as a corps, our 'everydays' werent exactly everday, it was more 4 days on 3 days off. but still, it SUCKED having to be there soo long! benefits though, it was fun. we stayed out of eachothers hair so we wouldnt get sick of eachother, ie different bus, away from eachother in the gyms, etc. totally recommend it though!! esp if its right up both of your allies. good experience!

I'm an only child, but...

Every year I have marched so far, there has been atleast 1 set of twins in the corps. My first year, both sisters were in colorguard. My 2nd year, both brothers were on baritone. This year, I believe one is on euph. while the other is still on bari. Causes a little confusion on the field...especially for visual staff. B)

I marched with my older Sister for 4 years. She rode in bus 1 and I rode in bus 3. We pretty much ignored each other most the time and hung with our own friends, but we still knew that we could go to each other when we needed to and I knew that since I was her kid sister, she was keeping an eye on me. All in all, I'm glad we marched together and can still share the memories of those years (no matter how faded they get).

Here's a picture my Mom had from my rookie year at American Legion 1970. I'm "M" and Sis is "C".

Re1970ALSCV.jpg