Do vets ever not make the cut?

I went to college w/ a member of the 1986 Star of Indiana. She told me that since many hundreds more auditioned that second year, they dumped many of the 1985 members (who were directly responsible for being the ONLY first-year corps ever to make finals!) for that "win at all costs" crap. They may have marched better (Zingali/Sylvester were on the full-time payroll), but moving up only two spots was hardly worth slapping all those hardworking kids in the face.

Isn't it the responsibility of the staff to field the most talented group possible. To take someone who is clearly less talented because they were in your group the previous year is poor management.

Also, when you're starting at the ground floor you need to set the climate for your group. And they choose to create the climate where the most talented kids wanted to go. This is directly responsible for them winning in their 7th year of competition. If the people in charge decided to take less talented members they would have started to bleed talent, then the talented kids wouldn't have bothered to audition. Then they would have been out of Finals in '91 instead of winning.

If those members wanted to make it for the second year they should have played better.

You know, no one cuts you slack after you get of school. When you interview for a job they take the person they think will do the best job, not the one who has been around for a year and has given them good service.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to college w/ a member of the 1986 Star of Indiana. She told me that since many hundreds more auditioned that second year, they dumped many of the 1985 members (who were directly responsible for being the ONLY first-year corps ever to make finals!) for that "win at all costs" crap. They may have marched better (Zingali/Sylvester were on the full-time payroll), but moving up only two spots was hardly worth slapping all those hardworking kids in the face.

I can totally understand what you are saying and how it would feel to be a member from Star that year that got cute the next, but this is Drum Corps. When you get to top of Div I it's small things that make or break the champion. If you want to be a corps that is the best you can only take the best, I've been cute by people better then me and I have taken other peoples spots. Not everyone that trys-out for SCV, Phantom, BD, Cadets, and even some Div II corps will get a spot, and the sad thing is some of those kids will only be fans. This is the nature of our activity and what our activity is all about..... being the best.

Back on topic:

I've heard that in '04, that the tuba section leader for Phantom Regiment was cute because he didn't make the grade. These kinds of things happen all the time. People (rookies and vets) are being cute now from corps and it only a few days before move-in and a few weeks before tour.

Edited by DClifer06

rut-roh- "Don't get cut with us." b**bs

I can totally understand what you are saying and how it would feel to be a member from Star that year that got cute the next, but this is Drum Corps. When you get to top of Div I it's small things that make or break the champion. If you want to be a corps that is the best you can only take the best, I've been cute by people better then me and I have taken other peoples spots. Not everyone that trys-out for SCV, Phantom, BD, Cadets, and even some Div II corps will get a spot, and the sad thing is some of those kids will only be fans. This is the nature of our activity and what our activity is all about..... being the best.

Back on topic:

I've heard that in '04, that the tuba section leader for Phantom Regiment was cute because he didn't make the grade. These kinds of things happen all the time. People (rookies and vets) are being cute now from corps and it only a few days before move-in and a few weeks before tour.

"This Is 'Drum Corps'":

And you know what: It's SAD. The days of "We take care of our own" and "Gratitude" are long gone. The "Nature of the Activity": "Be the best?"

I think not. It's WIN AT ALL COSTS.

Elphaba

"This Is 'Drum Corps'":

And you know what: It's SAD. The days of "We take care of our own" and "Gratitude" are long gone. The "Nature of the Activity": "Be the best?"

Here's another thing that's SAD: When vets take their position in the corps for granted. When they decide they don't need to attend rehearsals on time (or at all, until the spring). When they are lax in paying their fees. When they come to rehearsals and don't have their music memorized and are otherwise not prepared. When they strut around as if they are the best thing since sliced bread and don't continue to work as hard as everyone else.

It happened in my day, it happened before my day, and it still happens today. If a vet knows their stuff, is up to date with all their corps responsibilities, and continues to demonstrate their ability to work hard all the time, 99 times out of a hundred, they will have nothing to worry about.

Gimme a break. This ain't Little League.

It ain't MLB either. This is not a business where the performers are paid professionals. They're volunteers.

Isn't it the responsibility of the staff to field the most talented group possible. To take someone who is clearly less talented because they were in your group the previous year is poor management.

The most talented group possible? Not necessarily. The group that will have the most potential for success? I think so. You have to take abilities into account, certainly, but you must take experience into account as well! A hotshot young auditioning trumpet player may seem like someone you've gotta have, but he is inexperienced compared to a 2nd or 3rd year vet, someone who's been there and done that, worked his butt off in during the 95 degree days, with little floor time, and shown poise during tough times. And he'll be able to do it again, and in doing so would be a leader by example. Rookies will be able to learn from him, and benefit from him being around.

Look, I'm not saying that vets shouldn't be held accountable. They should. They need to continue keeping their chops up and keep improving. And they definately need to have attitudes that are good for the corps. But experience, leadership qualities, and loyalty should not be ignored at all.

I've heard that in '04, that the tuba section leader for Phantom Regiment was cute because he didn't make the grade.

This is a complete falsehood. Tuba section leaders are NEVER EVER EVER CUTE.

"This Is 'Drum Corps'":

Elphaba

Wrong..once again you make the my day vs today generalizations..like a broken record. <**>

Bottom line..if you are a member, do your job. I have seen plenty of less then talented kids stick around beacause the are hard workers and have great attitudes., as well as slackers that have been shown the door.

This IS drumcorps. A demanding activity with high expectations. Tow your weight and you are in the family.

If you want to get huggy-feely, try softball :sshh:

My experience has been that the vets who get cut are the vets who deserve to get cut- people who didn't fit in well with the group socially, got themselves into more than they could handle, had trouble, etc . . . or the people who didnt' pick up their horns between august and december.

It doesn't always happen, though. This year, no one got cut . . . I guess everyone got their #### together!