Do vets ever not make the cut?

I'm wondering if corps ever opt to cut member who has marched a previous season with the same corps. Is every season a completely clean slate as far as membership goes, or are vets from previous years pretty much ensured of a spot?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each corps is different.

At Memphis Sound, for instance, no one is guaranteed a spot - everyone (including vets) must audition.

Edited by SoonerFan04

In most corps, vets can absolutely get cut and it happens all the time.

While I'm sure most vets that have marched a year, (and have proven themselves to be capable), would pretty much have a "guarenteed" spot, I have heard of cases in which a vet was cut because of attitude problems, playing ability, etc...

I've seen it, but it's always attitude. There's that guy they tolerate late in the season, and 5 months later, he comes back. Apparently unaware of the stigma, he thinks all's well, and magically he's not on the list. There's a come-to-jesus, and then either the kid says he'll turn around, or they blow up, incredulous, and is shown the door.

Invariably (it seems) these kids are always the ones that aren't fully paid up in dues. Then they go to another corps, and that corps has to say you have to pay back the first one... and that's about when they forget about the next camp.

It's pretty rare that a kid with decent dedication survives a season, and then gets cut the next year on talent alone.

I've seen it, but it's always attitude. There's that guy they tolerate late in the season, and 5 months later, he comes back. Apparently unaware of the stigma, he thinks all's well, and magically he's not on the list. There's a come-to-jesus, and then either the kid says he'll turn around, or they blow up, incredulous, and is shown the door.

Invariably (it seems) these kids are always the ones that aren't fully paid up in dues. Then they go to another corps, and that corps has to say you have to pay back the first one... and that's about when they forget about the next camp.

It's pretty rare that a kid with decent dedication survives a season, and then gets cut the next year on talent alone.

Exactly.

The one thing that I would say differently though, is that it isn't ALWAYS attitude. Often, yes, but sometimes a member is such a personal liability (either because of their actions on the field or off), that their presence isn't beneficial to the well-being or competitive success of the drum corps. This is the case less often, though.

I went to college w/ a member of the 1986 Star of Indiana. She told me that since many hundreds more auditioned that second year, they dumped many of the 1985 members (who were directly responsible for being the ONLY first-year corps ever to make finals!) for that "win at all costs" crap. They may have marched better (Zingali/Sylvester were on the full-time payroll), but moving up only two spots was hardly worth slapping all those hardworking kids in the face.

I went to college w/ a member of the 1986 Star of Indiana. She told me that since many hundreds more auditioned that second year, they dumped many of the 1985 members (who were directly responsible for being the ONLY first-year corps ever to make finals!) for that "win at all costs" crap. They may have marched better (Zingali/Sylvester were on the full-time payroll), but moving up only two spots was hardly worth slapping all those hardworking kids in the face.

Gimme a break. This ain't Little League.