Old vs. Young

Has this been problem for a while? I've been on since about September but really it was these past couple of weeks that I noticed people were attacking generations more. Maybe peoples tempers are short because we're so close to the season!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe peoples tempers are short because we're so close to the season!!

Always the case.

Once the shows start, and people start with opinions and reviews, it will get worse.

Much, much worse.

It's a kind of cyclical thing...the amps debate will come back, Amy Hernandez will inspire a whole new round of Cadets threads, and the merry-go-round will continue. :)

While I agree that there is often a divide between old/young and that those on both sides of the argument often fail to respect the other, I do think it's important to point out that those of us who have been around for a while have a perspective on the activity that a younger person simply does not yet possess. Yet, with increasing regularity, our opinions and ideas are dismissed and our longevity made to be a liability rather than an asset.

The advent of the electronic age, DVDs, the internet and related technologies has made drum corps -- past and present -- available to any and all. Suddenly, 14 year olds are self-proclaimed experts on SCV's finals performance from 1973 and are miraculously able to evaluate, critique, and offer "informed" opinions about shows and corps that existed years before they were born. Yes, the ready availibility of archival material has given young people a glancing familiarity with corps and performances of the past, but what it hasn't given them is the perspective of time and place. It's one thing to hear a muffled recording of Blue Rock or to see a grainy video of Madison at the CYO Nationals in 1970. It's quite another to have been there.

While I agree that there is often a divide between old/young and that those on both sides of the argument often fail to respect the other, I do think it's important to point out that those of us who have been around for a while have a perspective on the activity that a younger person simply does not yet possess. Yet, with increasing regularity, our opinions and ideas are dismissed and our longevity made to be a liability rather than an asset.

The advent of the electronic age, DVDs, the internet and related technologies has made drum corps -- past and present -- available to any and all. Suddenly, 14 year olds are self-proclaimed experts on SCV's finals performance from 1973 and are miraculously able to evaluate, critique, and offer "informed" opinions about shows and corps that existed years before they were born. Yes, the ready availibility of archival material has given young people a glancing familiarity with corps and performances of the past, but what it hasn't given them is the perspective of time and place. It's one thing to hear a muffled recording of Blue Rock or to see a grainy video of Madison at the CYO Nationals in 1970. It's quite another to have been there.

But I also think that helps the young learn. Just imagine if any marchers from the last 5 years had never seen SCV 89, Cadets 84, Star 93!! In a way they teaches us young'ns the history in which we learn. Kinda like history class, it is to boring to read a book on the revolutionary war...instead we can pop in The Patriot, starring Mel Gibson!! Rather than picturing what it might look like you get a more realistic look at what they wore, talked like, lived......Same goes with corps I think. Seeing those older shows allows us to realize just how much this activity has change, but then it allows for us to see all of traditions that exist today!! Sure we might not have been there to hear it live, but a video is probably better than hearing somebody who was there talking about the music or drill. But then to add on top of the film, you come here to hear about the emotions from the performs and the crowd and the loudest of it.

I agree that the availibility of shows and performances via modern technology has allowed new generations to become familiar with the past and, as such, is a wonderful educational tool. However, DVDs, videos and recordings don't tell the whole story -- they cannot convey the intangible elements of the activity nor can they fully capture the essence of the parameters of time and place. Those of us who lived the past have a perspective that someone watching a video doesn't.

I am something of a WWII buff. I can read every book that has been written about the fighting in the Pacific theater; I can watch documentary films on the topic; collect memorabilia; memorize facts and figures, etc., and, in so doing, gain an appreciable second-hand knowledge of the period. However, my grandfather, who fought in the island campaigns, has actual first-hand experience and, therefore, a perspective that all my reading and research will never provide. When it comes to knowing "what it was really like" I must defer to him.

Yes, many of us have been around a while and we often yearn for a return to that which is more familiar to us -- to that which is comfortable. And sometimes we probably defend "our time" rather vehemently. However, I think many of us are simply reacting to the dismissive attitudes of some of our younger DCP friends who, because they've watched a few Legacy DVDs, think they know all there is to know about the past. That assumption is unrealistic and, I think, rather presumtive. I will gladly defer to a current marching member regarding today's styles, techniques and other technical matters because I haven't been on the field or performed in a few years. My knowledge is limited and not exactly up to date. However, I would like some of that same respect and the acknowledgement from the younger generation that former drum corps participants have a unique viewpoint on the activity...one born of experience over time.

The Patriot was very historically inaccurate, FYI. :)

I do agree with you, though. I can't judge how good a performance was by seeing a grainy film with bad sound. I'm definitely not proclaiming to be an expert by any means, especially since I haven't even marched yet. However, my opinion from what I've seen, I prefer the shows from the 80's to the present. I see the major divide in past and contemporary shows as being the presence of the pit on the field or on the sidelines. It gives the shows a different timbre to have a full pit, and I think it simply sounds better.

I have a huge amount of respect for the shows from the 70's and earlier, and I do enjoy them. However, given the choice, I would choose a show from the late 80's-present due to the complexity of the drill and music. Plus, I'm a huge fan of minimallist music.

I'm 16, and am leaving on June 4th to march my first drum corps summer. I would love to carry on the legacy that has been built up for half a century before me, and experience what so many other marchers, past and present, rave about.

I wasn't using The Patriot for it's historical accuracutency (?) but rather to get the feel of what it looked like. You studied WWII and talked to your grandfather, but if you talked to your grandfather and then watch movies you wouldn't get the same effect. It would be better to know about the topic and then hear the minor details. I personally like to use DCP to watch old shows and then hear what others have to say about it. Usually I'll read a topic on a show, watch the show, and then reread the topic to get the full effect.

That is because, IMO, all too often those opinions are made up primarily of griping about this, that, and the other thing the old timers do not like about modern drum corps. Take a corps from 1945 and compare it to a corps from 1975...about as alien as a 2005 corps looks to a 1975 corps vet....IMO.

Also IMO...and of course..that IS what all of this is about..opinions...us old time members whould KNOW better, having gone through the trenches somewhat like todays members do. Having done what I did...when I did (see sig)...I am amazed at the intensity and sheer performance quality of today's marching members....and the wonderful shows created by talented designers.

Whatever era you (the royal you) came from...when you marched you were at the leading edge of marching music...and did the very best you could...just like today.

Mike, marched 64-72

The Patriot was very historically inaccurate, FYI. :)

OT--

That movie has one of the worst lines ever:

"May I sit here?"

"It's a free country...or, at least....it will be."

GAH!!!

:sshh: :rock: :rock: :drool: :drool:

I hope we don't get into another battle of "Who's Better..The Old School or New School" again like we did last year !!

It was brutal to be on here and see all the bickering.

How about we just say that, every era of drum corps is different and we all enjoyed our own time in the activitiy and leave it at that !! B)