Toughest section of a corps to march

Which section has the most physical demand?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Which section has the most physcial demand?

• Brass
    • Battery Percussion
    • Guard
    • Front Ensemble
    • Drum Major
    • Field Judge

if the guard, percussion, and hornline all rotated sections (so the guard was playing percussion, percussion playing horns, and horns doing guard work), the show would suck. I think we can all agree about that...

the people in guard are in guard because they are good at THAT, not because they can also play bass #5. The people in the hornline are in the hornline because they can play and march, not because they can catch any kind of equipment toss at all. etc

Excellent post!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's upper body strength and in most instances that's one of the only differences between men and women. Apples and oranges!

I also doubt that 2% of tenor players in the world could do what the guard does.

Actually, its upper body, lower back, and leg strength. You have misread my post, I even bolded the important part. I am not talking about spinning and dancing and tossing, I am talking about the physical effort required for those actions only. I would put the percentage closer to 0% if I was to predict how many tenor players could do that stuff. Take skills out of the equation, and just look at physical demand. All I am saying is most tenor drummers could handle the cardiovascular demands placed on the guard, but alot of guard members would not be able to take the weight combined with the drill demands that the tenor player sees.

I used the examples I did to try to prove my point, buit really this argument is non gender specific. The fact of the matter is while a member may be completely physically capapble to perform what is asked of them in one section, they may not be able to hack it in another.

I'd love to see the snares used in the 70s being used today, with the sling and the leg rest. Now that would be impossible and funny at the same time!

All I can say to that is OUCH! (in a high, falsetto voice)

I would have to say, in order of difficulty:

1) Tenor Players: I don't PLAY Tenors, but I HAVE worn them. Yikes.

2) Euphonium Players: Takes a LOT to keep those beasts up!

3) Bass #5: close call with Euph players, 2 & 3 possibly a tie

4) Contrabass: Sure, it's heavy, but it's balanced on shoulder and we don't have to expend the same energy keeping it up like a euph player would.

I hear you there. I played Contra and everyone always thought we were the toughest, but we just pretended like we were. My hat goes off to the Euphoniums first, and then the tenors. especially those playing Pearl tenors.

when i marched...97, 98, and 99 I noticed that most of the euph players in corps like SCV and BD were short girls.

AND THEY WERE HOT in the eyes of many who saw them.....

Actually, its upper body, lower back, and leg strength. You have misread my post, I even bolded the important part. I am not talking about spinning and dancing and tossing, I am talking about the physical effort required for those actions only. I would put the percentage closer to 0% if I was to predict how many tenor players could do that stuff. Take skills out of the equation, and just look at physical demand. All I am saying is most tenor drummers could handle the cardiovascular demands placed on the guard, but alot of guard members would not be able to take the weight combined with the drill demands that the tenor player sees.

Am I reading this correctly? Take the spinning and dancing and tossing out of the equation, but leave the drums on in the other equation? You do say weight combined with drill, so then put back the spinning, dancing and tossing no?

Is that what you're saying?

Anyway Slow Adam, I hear you even with that off kilter opinion. I hear you and understand you totally. They're heavy!

Am I reading this correctly? Take the spinning and dancing and tossing out of the equation, but leave the drums on in the other equation? You do say weight combined with drill, so then put back the spinning, dancing and tossing no?

Anyway Slow Adam, I hear you even with that off kilter opinion. I hear you and understand you totally. They're heavy!

No, he's saying take the skill required to do spinning, dancing and tossing out of the equation, but keep the physical demand in. Of course a tenor player couldn't replicate what a guard girl was doing skillwise; he's just making the assertion that he thinks they would be physically able to do it if they had the skill, whereas a typical guard girl would not be able to handle the physical exertion required to march tenors.

Edited by TSRTS13

No no no. :) I mean the skill required to do those things doesnt count into it, just like I wouldn't expect the guard member to be able to play the tenors (even though I dont think they could carry them in the first place :P). I do appreciate it is hard work to do those things, no doubt.

No, he's saying take the skill required to do spinning, dancing and tossing out of the equation, but keep the physical demand in. Of course a tenor player couldn't replicate what a guard girl was doing skillwise; he's just making the assertion that he thinks they would be physically able to do it if they had the skill, whereas a typical guard girl would not be able to handle the physical exertion required to march tenors.

What he said.

I used the examples I did to try to prove my point, buit really this argument is non gender specific. The fact of the matter is while a member may be completely physically capapble to perform what is asked of them in one section, they may not be able to hack it in another.

Unfortunately you cannot seperate the spinning, dancing, and tossing out of the equation. That is part of the demand. Even if the tenor can take the weight, can they take the constant muscle movement in the entire upper body area? That along with the running, dacing spinning and tossing? Also don't you think that the colorguard uses the same upper body, lower back, and legs as well. We are not exactly running on our elbows and just using our hands you know.

Unfortunately you cannot seperate the spinning, dancing, and tossing out of the equation. That is part of the demand. Even if the tenor can take the weight, can they take the constant muscle movement in the entire upper body area? That along with the running, dacing spinning and tossing? Also don't you think that the colorguard uses the same upper body, lower back, and legs as well. We are not exactly running on our elbows and just using our hands you know.

See posts above for clarification of what I meant originally.