Out of the Big 5 who will be the first to switch back to Gs?

There is no Big 5. Where is this coming from? There is a big 3. Period.

I know it was just a comment, and it's cool. I am merely stating my opinion, which I believe to be based on the past 10 or so years of competition.

Well, up until last year it was more or less a "Big 4" from 1998-2004. Phantom snuck in there in '03, but those years you could pretty much count on BD, Cadets, Cavaliers and SCV finishing in the top 4.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Madison

2. Troopers

3. PR

4. Nobody else would.

The financial aspect cannot be overemphasized.

The top corps get a new set of horns every other year at no cost to them. Every Bb vs. G argument misses the point. Sound doesn't matter(much), kids being able to switch easier doesn't matter(much)...at least not in the face of the overwhelming financial difference between the two.

The same corps might also switch to 15 inch snares with plastic heads. First we have to find a set of drums, then buy heads (do they even make them?) and rig harnesses to carry them. The won't be free floaters, so the old technology would have to do. Then convince the jugdes the sound is what the fans really want.

Not exactly the same thing, but kinda. Why bother.

why would they spend all the money on new horns that started going out of style over a decade ago? i mean thats like saying which corps will go back to doing shows marched completely in high step

Actually, I'd like to see at least more high step in everybody's show.

As to G brass, since they were produced for a specialized market, which is rapidly evaporating, I'd expect the tooling to be gone in a few years. I think that was the main reason that DCA opened up to multi-key a couple of years ago. The Troopers were probably the last corps to buy new Gs.

The same corps might also switch to 15 inch snares with plastic heads. First we have to find a set of drums, then buy heads (do they even make them?) and rig harnesses to carry them. The won't be free floaters, so the old technology would have to do. Then convince the jugdes the sound is what the fans really want.

Not exactly the same thing, but kinda. Why bother.

works for Sky's alumni

Actually, I'd like to see at least more high step in everybody's show.

As to G brass, since they were produced for a specialized market, which is rapidly evaporating, I'd expect the tooling to be gone in a few years. I think that was the main reason that DCA opened up to multi-key a couple of years ago. The Troopers were probably the last corps to buy new Gs.

i would say that there is nothing more bad### than a corps nailing a high step section while wailing. i would say one of the masters of this is madison

No way, now how. Just doesn't make sense from a financial or instructional standpoint.

Plus now we are seeing a rapid turnover and development of Bb/F marching brass based on drum corps use. The G horns will be fondly remembered, but they are as doomed as valve-rotors. Most of what folks want from G horns has more to do with the approach to playing and not the key of the horns anyhow.