Out of the Big 5 who will be the first to switch back to Gs?

i would say that there is nothing more bad### than a corps nailing a high step section while wailing. i would say one of the masters of this is madison

Check out 76 Blue Devils - the contras (valve-roter mind you) are nailing the walking eighth note bass line in Channel One Suite while doing a high mark time. And there were only six of them, and (so I have been told) two were females (not that it matters), which was real unusual back then (I think, for example, SCV was all male horn/drums until late 1970s)

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No would switch back to G's intentionally ....

Get over it no one really plays in G anymore .... move on!!

The same corps might also switch to 15 inch snares with plastic heads. First we have to find a set of drums, then buy heads (do they even make them?) and rig harnesses to carry them. The won't be free floaters, so the old technology would have to do. Then convince the jugdes the sound is what the fans really want.

Not exactly the same thing, but kinda. Why bother.

I think convinceing the fans that that is what the fans want would be just as hard. I can't think of anyone in the WGI/DCI drumming community both staffs and members who would rather a line play on outdated drums more than the drums we have now. Same with horns and the original post of "crowd appeal".

Let's face it. The amount of people who actually want corps to go back to G horns and 15" drums is miniscule compared to the amount of fans who are pretty content with the instruments we have today. Dreaming and reminiscing about the past is good fun to be sure. But the assumption that most of the marching arts fan base feels the same is a pretty big stretch.

Same with horns and the original post of "crowd appeal".

Let's face it. The amount of people who actually want corps to go back to G horns and 15" drums is miniscule compared to the amount of fans who are pretty content with the instruments we have today. Dreaming and reminiscing about the past is good fun to be sure. But the assumption that most of the marching arts fan base feels the same is a pretty big stretch.

sorry, but you dont think the corps that decides to turn the amps off and switch back to Gs is going to have the best crowd appeal? you dont think if lets say madison did this people would be out of their seats for 9 out of 11 minutes? i beg to differ.

I'm thinking WAAYYYY outside of the box, but could you imagine if BD did a "Best Of" show and had a whole hornline of G bugles sitting on stands on the front sideline? All of a sudden, they march up, grab them and bust out with something like La Fiesta or One More Time Chuck Corea? LOL

Maybe the corps that has not done so well since B came to be....what year was that? If it was 01 then I'd say the corps that fallen the most might try it....I don't now......I'm just typing away here.

Check out 76 Blue Devils - the contras (valve-roter mind you) are nailing the walking eighth note bass line in Channel One Suite while doing a high mark time. And there were only six of them, and (so I have been told) two were females (not that it matters), which was real unusual back then (I think, for example, SCV was all male horn/drums until late 1970s)

Wow, is that true???? I never noticed the 2 ladies in 76 BD. But I was probably watching the guard.....

IMO, the financial burden of G horns never rested with the corps as much as the manufacturer. There was always a ready dumping ground for used horns in the financially strapped Div. II and III corps, but they were dang expensive to produce. That's why one of the best makers, King, got out of the business in 90 with the switch to chromatic bugles. They just couldn't sell enough to break even switching to the new tooling and the cost of design. So even if sombody wanted to make the switch back, in a few years there won't be any new horns available unless you want to pay a premium to have them custom made. The 2000 switch totally killed the market, and that switch was driven by the manufacturers who wanted nothing to do with bugles, but into the lucrative marching brass business.

sorry, but you dont think the corps that decides to turn the amps off and switch back to Gs is going to have the best crowd appeal? you dont think if lets say madison did this people would be out of their seats for 9 out of 11 minutes? i beg to differ.

Okay, so lets say this hypothetical 'peoples corps' switches to mylar and Gs and then gos out and plays Bartok/Barber. Oops, sorry about your theory.

When is it going to get through. Folks blame the tools when their real issues are with current programs and approach. 75' Madison would still pretty much sound like 75' Madison if they were on Bbs. Just more in tune and darker. Modern drum corps is different because it is taught and approached different. The key of the horns and amps are just sprinkles on the ice cream.

Everyone has favorite eras, programs, corps. But how long do you think the activity can continue to do the same types of programs with the same type of approach every year? Today's kids who come out of the complex programs of today will have different tastes then those of us who grew up with mylar and G horns. They will fill the stands of the future. For better of worse the activity marches on.

Edited by mchromik

And to add on to what mchromik is saying...

People from different eras just like different things. They like what they had, and tend not to like what is different. So it is far more likely that older people will like older drum corps than new people. And vice versa.

So that being said, the numbers of older fans is getting smaller every season. And the number of newer fans is constantly growing. People who havee this "the crowd wants G bugles and mylar heads" idea simply understimate how many high school band kids, current and recent members, and parents of current and recent members there are. Even here on DCP, which has a much higher ratio of older alumni and fans than than actually makes up the fan base, there is still a majority opinion that a lot of changes are good. So even out of this bastion of Legacy Fans, there is still the prevailing opinion that Bb horns, non-tic judging, grounded pit, and modern drums are great for the activity. Just look at the recent poll. Bb horns and non-tic judging stomped pretty much everything else, with ESPN in third.

Just face it. People who want drum corps to revert back to 15" drums and rotor-G horns are a very small minority. They do not make up this massive mob of fans that some wish they did. The post I was originally responding to said that we should "tell the judges that the fans want 15" drums with mylar heads". And that is simply wrong.

No, I don't. At least not for that reason. People might hype it because of it's gimmick value. And people would be out of their seats because it's Madison. But do I think that they would be hailed as the "the people's champion corps" because the crowd really hates Bb and mylar heads and is just waiting for the second coming of 1975? Absolutely not.

Edited by G-Cym