Out of the Big 5 who will be the first to switch back to Gs?

I think the majority of corps fans wouldn't care/notice the difference. Remember, not everyone marched or followed the activity in the G era...Not every corps fan sits on DCP and debates this stuff...And if a corps DID make the switch back, I bet the sound wouldn't be DRASTICALLY different because of the approach used...It would sound like Bb teaching and arrangements on a different keyed insturment.

Not that I wouldn't LOVE to hear Phantom go back to G's...

But at least the King horns are better than if they were playing on Yamahas. The sound is closer, I think...of course, not quite the same.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, a modern G line would not sound all that different and most folks wouldn't know the difference. It is tough to say because there are no G lines in the upper ranks where they could be best compared. So that leaves a burning question; If a G line takes a modern approach and doesn't sound all that different from a Bb line, what exactly is the benifit of returning to G? Other then making a few 'in the know' fans happy there just doesn't seem to be much upside. You have a very limited resale market. Bbs can be resold to the vast sea of marching bands. Starting a new corps would require a sizable purchase of an entire hornline from an extremely limited group of manufacturers, two to be exact. Now you can scrounge from the same said sea of sources. The current Bb horns are more developed and arguably better built, though that is opening a can of worms.

The one thing that the G horns did was set the activity apart from the rest of the marching world. That was both good and bad when you think about it. In my mind we lost alot of the 'bugle' uniqueness when we went to three valves. Some would say it was when we went to two upright valves. I own a two valve King mello in G and sometimes I pull it out and give it a try. It is fun and brings back memories, but compared to the fat dark F mello I play now there is no way I would prefer to play the former over the latter.

I think the crux of the Bb vs. G arguement is really about deciding what style of play is going to define what is 'Drum and Bugle Corps'. Will it be loud, powerful, and fun? Sometimes even on the edge of control. Or will it be a highly controlled brass choir which dazzles with it's artistry and skillful performance? Each side will have it's fans, and it's detractors.

Edited by mchromik

sorry, but you dont think the corps that decides to turn the amps off and switch back to Gs is going to have the best crowd appeal? you dont think if lets say madison did this people would be out of their seats for 9 out of 11 minutes? i beg to differ.

Disagree. The music and visual and guard work plus the performance makes for the appeal, not the horn key or amp/no amp.

IMO

I still recall a few years ago, playing a great recording of '74 Muchachos for a bunch of drum corps corps "newbies." The best part was that they all wanted to hear it....over, and over, and over again. For the most part, all they could say, was, "WOW!."

So, there are people who are participating in the activity NOW, who can and do appreciate the old style on the old instruments.

I think anyone who says, "Once it's old, it's no good anymore..." just is not seeing the whole picture. B)

It often gets discouraging to see these arguments as a "new generation" marching member. I don't know how many of you realize this.

When I am marching with the other young adults I want to be the best I can make myself and my corp. My generation is constantly reminded that what we do is "not real drum corp because it's not in G" or that we "should go back to doing things the old way".

The people that say this don't seem to believe that those changes were made...because that's how drum corp evolved. Maybe those changes are what makes US , as the new generation of performers feel like we are putting out a good product.

I have never thought, or been around anyone that has said "wow, this is great, but it would be even better if we played it on outdated and almost logistically impossible to obtain equipment...and while we're at it... “Let’s use a technique that we don't already use because we found one that works better for us!” (An exaggeration I know...but it gets the point across)

Sometimes we just want to feel like drum corp is our own now.

We look up to, respect, and thoroughly enjoy the "old way". Not because we want to do Things exactly that way now...but because we respect and appreciate what was done with the innovations of past generations.

We may listen to the old recording and...Yes the sound is wonderful...watching it, the technique works and fits. We may love it. That doesn't mean we want to go do things that way. Maybe we just want our hard work to go towards our own take on things. Maybe we want to be that awesome, but the new way.

As for the approach, it may be different...but that is only because the teaching/writing generation learned some things from their teachers and then created their own variations.

As to what corp would make the switch...I’d say none. Why? Because we don't want to BE you...we want to be Like you in our way. It’s not appealing to the membership, it’s not responsible, and it’s not logical.

Lets face it…drum corp is a self-interested activity. If you march, you march to make yourself better, and make your corp better. You march to add your story to the drum corp chronicles. Yes, pleasing the fans is…wonderful. Pleasing Alumni and the generation before you…awesome. But for everyone I know at least…pleasing yourself through your innovation of the activity and having your own experience is what matters. So switching to a foreign horn or drum head or forcing the pit to march…though it may help ease some of your worries as the more…matured generations of drum corp, it will not bring back your experiences and may very well prove detrimental to the current generation and the ones still to come.

Long live drum corp. And long live innovation.

:blush: