Woodwinds or no woodwinds?

Woodwinds or no woodwinds  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI ever incorporate woodwinds?

• No, never, not any time for any reason
    • Well, maybe for solos only
    • Yes, bring them on in, let's be like everyone else

and, um...the crowd didnt think they were all cool

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not rewrite history here, Mike. The changes of the past seven years were not a "natural progression" - they were driven by commercial influences outside of the drum corps activity.

Sure they were a natural progression. Just about every change made in brass and percussion instrumentation has been towards band instrumentation, even those of the past 7 years.

Changes like any-key brass and amps, however, were not part of this "natural progression". They were, however, very desirable to the instrument manufacturers, opening up new markets for their products, and new marketing vehicles. In retrospect, perhaps even pit percussion falls into this category. Not only did the manufacturers discover a whole activity of corps ready to become customers, they also found the touring groups to be valuable endorsers. Having the Blue Devils using your equipment was as clear a marketing ploy 30 years ago as it is today.

So it is irrelevant to your "argument'.

I have seen pictures from magazines of the 50's where corps were used by companies to advertise their products. So what?

Mike, if you believe that the "natural progression" is for the drum corps activity to allow the manufacturers to steer the course of change, then you should see motorcycles in DCI's future. After all, Yamaha makes motorcycles. And unlike woodwinds, motorcycles have already been used in a drum corps field program (Chieftains). Apparently, the activity has demonstrated greater interest in motorcycles than woodwinds, so that should be the "natural progression". B)

When you have no real argument, bring up silly items like this.

Mike

Sure they were a natural progression. Just about every change made in brass and percussion instrumentation has been towards band instrumentation, even those of the past 7 years.

So it is irrelevant to your "argument'.

I have seen pictures from magazines of the 50's where corps were used by companies to advertise their products. So what?

When you have no real argument, bring up silly items like this.

Mike

I believe he is making light of the fact that you haven't had an argument or legitimate answer regarding this topic, other than more of the same. However, it can be said that many of these posts lay down excellent arguments as to why this shouldn't and won't happen.

I believe he is making light of the fact that you haven't had an argument or legitimate answer regarding this topic, other than more of the same. However, it can be said that many of these posts lay down excellent arguments as to why this shouldn't and won't happen.

Sorry, I have not seen one 'excellent' argument against them. Not one.

of course not Mike, only because you want to take an acitivity and morph into one that already exists.

that's not evolution.

but again, when hockey uses a basketball, i am sure you will call it evolutionary too

Mike,

I think you're missing a point. You're the one who is proposing to change the status quo. As such, it's really up to you to explain why your proposal would be an improvement. All I've seen so far is that destroying drum corps would give some band kids more love.

I also don't agree about the inherent destiny thing. Yes, there has been a movement from rope drums to slingerland double-tension to free floaters. And straight G bugles have become Bb bugles (I'll defer to brass players who know a lot more than me, like Duke Terrari who has distinguished between Bb bugles and trumpets) and glockenspeils have become marimbas, but that doesn't translate into bassoons.

I think you're missing a point. You're the one who is proposing to change the status quo. As such, it's really up to you to explain why your proposal would be an improvement. All I've seen so far is that destroying drum corps would give some band kids more love.

First off...I do not think such a change will happen any time soon, if at all. I think we will see electronics, but I'm not sure we'll see WW...any time in the near future, anyway. It's just MHO that they would be a good addition.

I am supporting such a move if and when the BOD decides it is in the best interest of drum corps, DCI-version, to make such a change. I think that if enough of the BOD thinks it a good idea to pass it, then I would support suich a change.

I do think it provides a wider opportunity for more musicians to march at a DCI Div I level corps, esp as I would like to see it in an 'anything goes' division with no limit on size. There is no curfrent 'world class' maching/music ensemble the equal of a current div I corps for a WW player today.

I think that if WW were legal for div III it might help save some corps that are having number issues...if they have 10 brass but could field 10 or 20 WW...so much the better, IMO.

I also like the sound...and to hear an ensemble such as the Cadets, BD, or other div I corps perform complete with WW would be great.

I also don't agree about the inherent destiny thing. Yes, there has been a movement from rope drums to slingerland double-tension to free floaters. And straight G bugles have become Bb bugles (I'll defer to brass players who know a lot more than me, like Duke Terrari who has distinguished between Bb bugles and trumpets) and glockenspeils have become marimbas, but that doesn't translate into bassoons.

My take is that nearly all of the instrument changes over time have been towards 'real' band instruments, both brass and percussion. Adding WW just completes what was begun 50 years ago.

Duke and I go waaaay back judging together...the late 70's through the 90's...he is a great guy...and I also know he would HATE what I support. :)

First off...I do not think such a change will happen any time soon, if at all. I think we will see electronics, but I'm not sure we'll see WW...any time in the near future, anyway. It's just MHO that they would be a good addition.

I am supporting such a move if and when the BOD decides it is in the best interest of drum corps, DCI-version, to make such a change. I think that if enough of the BOD thinks it a good idea to pass it, then I would support suich a change.

I do think it provides a wider opportunity for more musicians to march at a DCI Div I level corps, esp as I would like to see it in an 'anything goes' division with no limit on size. There is no curfrent 'world class' maching/music ensemble the equal of a current div I corps for a WW player today.

I think that if WW were legal for div III it might help save some corps that are having number issues...if they have 10 brass but could field 10 or 20 WW...so much the better, IMO.

I also like the sound...and to hear an ensemble such as the Cadets, BD, or other div I corps perform complete with WW would be great.

My take is that nearly all of the instrument changes over time have been towards 'real' band instruments, both brass and percussion. Adding WW just completes what was begun 50 years ago.

Duke and I go waaaay back judging together...the late 70's through the 90's...he is a great guy...and I also know he would HATE what I support. :)

"The "BOD's" Death Sentance":

The approval of the "Woodwinds & Reeds" etc will be the official death of the "Activity". A once great activity handed over to the Marching Band crowd.

Sad.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

He sounds like a great guy, really smart too! :P

He sounds like a great guy, really smart too! :P

I believe there are pics of him in a sop trio with the Cabs alum someplace around here.

He is a great guy...his lovely wife was DM of the Bon bons in the day. :P