Woodwinds or no woodwinds?

Woodwinds or no woodwinds  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI ever incorporate woodwinds?

• No, never, not any time for any reason
    • Well, maybe for solos only
    • Yes, bring them on in, let's be like everyone else

Oh, btw, for all you age-outs and such, that say it's for the performers, not the fans, I'm in the current generation of DCI, I have 8 years to march, including this season, and I HATE the idea of turning corps into marching band. I think that if you turn corps into band, you'll see a drop not only in show attendance, but also in corps membership as well. I, for one, am marching corps for the experience of brass, drums, the power of corps, being able to blast FFF or even FFFF in some rare cases without getting yelled at because we have to blend with woodwinds. And as many other people have said, I have nothing against WWs in general, just corps.

And then, you have to buy the instruments as well, and they arent exactly cheap, and neither is brass, but, as I said earlier, brass horns can hold up better to the stress of a corps summer than woodwinds ever will. I don't think the low brass would appreciate it either when the flutes start complaining about how heavy their horns are. And you can't get that same kind of a bad-###, get-the-####-outta-my-way look when holding a flute or a clarinet, or with a sax hangin off your neck. It's just a stupid idea. I personally love woodwinds in genres they belong in, which ISN'T DCI. Maybe a seperate division would be ok, but I dont think it'd be very popular.

Sorry about the long post, just kinda got on a bit of a roll.

Edited by PioSop06

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said before, half our baritone line at Cap Reg were actually Clarinet players. We had a trumpet who had never touched the instrument either.

Bottom line: Woodwind players still manage to get in corps.

I've always wondered something Mike: Why do you want to homogenize all musical ensembles? Make them all the same that is.

Music History is full of wonderful ensembles that diversified the landscape...and you seem to want to just mesh everything together so that it all looks and sounds the same?

I think that would be a terrible tragedy for music in general.

DCI, the great melting pot of music! :sshh: :lol:

I've always wondered something Mike: Why do you want to homogenize all musical ensembles? Make them all the same that is.

Music History is full of wonderful ensembles that diversified the landscape...and you seem to want to just mesh everything together so that it all looks and sounds the same?

I think that would be a terrible tragedy for music in general.

Where do I say that?

First...I prefer a separate division for those that want to add whatever they want to add.

Second...I speak specifically of drum corps...not pipe bands, fife and drum groups, Mummer's bands, orcehstras, concert bands, etc....IMO drum corps has been moving this way for half a century, and I see no reason to stop now.

Just MHO.

Mike

Mummer's bands

Every time I hear the phrase Mummer's band, I keep picturing a company front with every member wrapped head to toe in toilet paper. :lol:

I just wanted to say that I voted in this poll when it first started, and haven't really followed it since. I've participated in the argument before, and didn''t really feel like there was going to be anything new discussed.

However...

I'm THRILLED to see 90% against woodwinds in drum corps! ^OO^

IMO drum corps has been moving this way for half a century, and I see no reason to stop now.

Mike

I've seen this comment from you many times and it's never been challenged. Who supported WW 50 years ago? The moderator of the Holy Name Cadets? Bill Kemmerer? Don Warren? I defy you to find a supporter of WW from the activity's leaders from 1956. Or 1966. Or 1976.........1986..............1996. Did Mahon, Dorritie, Shaw, Tuthill support it? Has any Cadet director before George supported it? What about Royer? Seawright?

Fact is that this has been an isolated fantasy that has had few supporters through the years. There is no manifest destiny for woodwinds in drum corps. Just the occasional thoughts of people looking for the next place to imprint their considerable egos.

"if it aint broke, dont fix it"

hmmmm...i can imagine this said about timbales appearing on the field circa mid 60's, timpani being staged, played by one person instead of 4 or 5, a-symmetrical drill, progressive symphonic music, playing buzz rolls, the deletion of the "tick" system, 11:30 minute shows, the formation of dci, that corporate corps winning everything...etc, etc. etc

hey, i love the sound of brass in the dci arena, its unique...but lets not go overboard and diss on other musical instruments...im sure many of you are still sold that your 35mm cameras, typewriters and turntables are still the only way to go.

well, the turntable works best when i throw an old album on :P

Lucy? Who's Lucy!? :lol: :P

well it's a either a typo, or i gave you a new pet nickname...you choose :P