DCA Finals 11th/12th place corps recordings

Larry, you misread what I wrote.

What I meant was, Sky scored lower in FINALS than Carolina Gold's score was in PRELIMS.

apples to oranges. different day, different panel

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1977 had "DCA West" for 11th and 12th. Both MBI and Chicago Connection made the album and that just had people buzzing about all that Senior Corps "way out there". :blush:

79 too

Let me clarify a tad...

Yes, I'd much rather be in the Finals show than sitting on the sidelines watching. The "what a crock" part comes in the sense that none of us knew we were being judged for that exhibition. So I know for a fact that at least a few of us left control and quality go just a bit in a great big loud and aggressively passionate final performance of our show. Which we probably wouldn't have done had we known we'd be getting scored for it. Then we likely wouldn't have dropped in score from prelims to finals. And furthermore... yes, I believe 11th and 12th should be part of finals. Period.

Ask him about his 2002 experience Chris.

2002 was a giant bag of suck for me. What about it?

So yeah... not complaining about being able to perform. Just kinda ticked about the whole situation regarding the performance. Everybody cool with me now?

Hey Goalieguy,

I just went and checked my records and MBI are on BOTH the 1986 and 1987 albums....1986 corps is on Vol #3 and 1987 is on Vol #1...

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

Freind of SlyCooley1

PADCHOF

John G

:blush:

My apologies for not clarifying..'87 & '90 were years MBI was 11th after Prelims ( and don't ask ME why!)

We just missed in '85 (our first year back since '79), and '86 was the first year we made the Top 10, as well as '89..'90 was the last year MBI missed Top 10.

I always thought it was cool that you never heard the guns on those 11th / 12th place shows since they weren't judged. Ask Fran Haring about the crowd in Allentown in '90 after we finished, and he tried to introduce the judging panel for Finals...That's still one of MY favorite DCA moments!! :P

Pat

Let me clarify a tad...

Yes, I'd much rather be in the Finals show than sitting on the sidelines watching. The "what a crock" part comes in the sense that none of us knew we were being judged for that exhibition. So I know for a fact that at least a few of us left control and quality go just a bit in a great big loud and aggressively passionate final performance of our show. Which we probably wouldn't have done had we known we'd be getting scored for it. Then we likely wouldn't have dropped in score from prelims to finals. And furthermore... yes, I believe 11th and 12th should be part of finals. Period.

Your director didn't tell you that you were being judged?!?!? HOW COULD HE NOT KNOW THAT!?!!

That seems to me like a pretty important thing to LEAVE OUT of conversation with the entire drum corps!!!!

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but holy CRAP!!

Edited by bumo27

Yeah well... so it is. I'm just telling you, I know we'd have played more... let's just say "musically" if we had known that. Personally, my goal that night was to break stuff from over playing. We we're trying to be loud and emotional and entertaining. (IE - the Skyliners) - Just kidding! - And I know at least alot of us didn't know there would be a score attached to that performance. Still I think doing an exhibition like that is totally lame. If you we're there to compete Saturday, and they felt you should appear Sunday, then you should be COMPETING Sunday. Furthermore, if you're going to JUDGE the #### thing, it might as well count, don't you think?!

I know the Hurcs felt that way that night...

Hey John, how are ya?? Do you have any recordings from Steel City from 92 - 93???

Hey Goalieguy,

I just went and checked my records and MBI are on BOTH the 1986 and 1987 albums....1986 corps is on Vol #3 and 1987 is on Vol #1...

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

Freind of SlyCooley1

PADCHOF

John G

Your director didn't tell you that you were being judged?!?!? HOW COULD HE NOT KNOW THAT!?!!

That seems to me like a pretty important thing to LEAVE OUT of conversation with the entire drum corps!!!!

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but holy CRAP!!

i remember that ..... i was happy to be playing on finals nite .... but .... NO ONE told us it was going to be a judged exhibition ..... i didnt find out til after the fact