DCA Finals 11th/12th place corps recordings

Instead of hijacking another thread anymore thought I'd start a new one. Back in the Day :P of record albums (them flat black thingies with a hole in the middle) 12 corps would be recorded for DCA every year. Seemed like every few years DCA would change how recording the 11th and 12th place corps would be done. I'm trying to fill in the blanks and this is what I know for sure (IOW - I was there at the time and my memory still works :sshh: )

1974 - 11th and 12th place corps competed. Hanover and Emmaus scored in the mid 40s and think that was the last time 12 corps competed at Finals.

1976 - 11th (Westshoremen) and 12th (Guelph) did a stand still in front of the mics before the gates opened for Finals.

1985 - 11th and 12th (Westshoremen) did a pre Finals exhibition.

Any blanks filled would greatly appreciated for historys sake.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back to the 80,s, as far back as i can remember, everyone performed a pre show exhibition before the fans

Sky did the "judged exhibition" in 2003.

What a crock.

all concerns about placement aside, this is about discussing whether you performed before fans, or like Shore in 76, you just played to the mics

:huh:

I know the first 3 years I went to DCA with MBI, we did an unjudged exhibition at Finals to fill out the records. 77,78,79. I think that trend continued until they started doing CD's..

I still know that MBI was on the records in '87 and '90, the years we finished 11th, and we always did the entire show. Anyone verify when that practice ended? Must have been just recently.

Pat

Thanks all, especially Pat since I was too busy for some reason :P to see the beginning of Finals in the late 70s. Will have to check my album/tape collection to see what was going on in the way of recording. One of the late 90s DCA was never released...

Will probably have to give a yell out for any Boys of 76 or Guelph to find out about 1975 as I just can't remember #### about the start of Finals. Guess the monsoon at the end drowned my memories. :sshh:

Sky did the "judged exhibition" in 2003.

What a crock.

Hey, I don't remember, but why does it show Carolina Gold with a higher score than you, and they're in 13th and you were in 12th?

12 80.763 New York Skyliners

13 81.063 Carolina Gold

and you're complaining? Those are the rules, Sayre.

Hey, I don't remember, but why does it show Carolina Gold with a higher score than you, and they're in 13th and you were in 12th?

12 80.763 New York Skyliners

13 81.063 Carolina Gold

and you're complaining? Those are the rules, Sayre.

From the DCA website:

Prelims

12 Skyliners 81.300

13 Carolina Gold 81.063

Finals

EX Skyliners 80.763

That would be why.

So let's see, Sky got a lower score than Carolina Gold got in PRELIMS, and Sayre is complaining that he actually had the HONOR of performing for the finals crowd?

GIMME A BREAAAAAAK.