judges' comments on TAPE

89 members have voted

1. 1. When will judges' TAPES be replaced by something more technologically advanced?

• 1-5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11-20 years
    • 21 or more years
    • never

I've judged using tapes for years and have never had any problems nor have I heard complaints about quality, etc.

If the sole purpose for changing to a new medium is to be up to date with the latest technological toy with no significant improvements to ease of use, cost or quality, then I see no reason to change.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've judged using tapes for years and have never had any problems nor have I heard complaints about quality, etc.

If the sole purpose for changing to a new medium is to be up to date with the latest technological toy with no significant improvements to ease of use, cost or quality, then I see no reason to change.

I've judged for many, many, many years and I have had this happen all too often. Perhaps the quality of tapes were less than superior.

one question:

since most judges own their own recorders, and they can be bought for $30 or less, will the judges be on the hook for this new stuff?

for a circuit like DCI that runs up to 4/5 shows a night, supplying this for each show to run cant be cheap either

Why all the hate on digital?

In the long run, it is actually more cost effective to go digital since there aren't any cassette tapes to buy. First, some are saying that there would be controversy over what format to use. Solution: just use plain old mp3. I challenge ANYONE to name on mainstream platform, OS, portable audio player, etc. that won't support the format. Second, some people are complaining about the cost. Digital recorders that output via usb can be had relatively cheaply at any walmart. It would be nothing to have all of the judges' comments quickly transfered to a DCI official's laptop right after the show and then the content be distributed by whatever means neccessary to the corps' staff. Heck, the files could even be emailed. Most all corps now use computers widely within their administration, and I wouldn't be surprised if several even get their internet access on the road using EVDO or HSDPA. And if that isn't viable for a corps, just quickly burn it to cd or transfer it to someone's ipod or other mp3 device. Ipods and the like are far more common now than tape or even cd players; why not embrace it?

Edited by lbjazz

maybe the cost on a grand scale...factoring in purchasing ipods etc hasnt gotten cheap enough yet?

not everyone owns an ipod and not everyone takes laptops and burners etc on tour with them

maybe the cost on a grand scale...factoring in purchasing ipods etc hasnt gotten cheap enough yet?

not everyone owns an ipod and not everyone takes laptops and burners etc on tour with them

absolutely not ipods....please dont tell me their marketing campaign has made you believe that this is a quality product? generic brands far outweigh the ipod in quality and service.

i dont know enough about them except i rpiced them for my wife and they aint cheap

I've judged for many, many, many years and I have had this happen all too often. Perhaps the quality of tapes were less than superior.

The quality of the tapes to matter. Getting those Dollar Store 3 packs will not be anywhere close then paying a few extra pennies for a decent cassette.

Nobody's hating digital. It's just not a needed. It's overkill. Look, judges still use paper and pencil to give scores, why not just elimate that and have them type thier comments on laptops during the show. :blush:

Edited by sburstall

In the long run, it is actually more cost effective to go digital since there aren't any cassette tapes to buy. First, some are saying that there would be controversy over what format to use. Solution: just use plain old mp3. I challenge ANYONE to name on mainstream platform, OS, portable audio player, etc. that won't support the format. Second, some people are complaining about the cost. Digital recorders that output via usb can be had relatively cheaply at any walmart. It would be nothing to have all of the judges' comments quickly transfered to a DCI official's laptop right after the show and then the content be distributed by whatever means neccessary to the corps' staff. Heck, the files could even be emailed. Most all corps now use computers widely within their administration, and I wouldn't be surprised if several even get their internet access on the road using EVDO or HSDPA. And if that isn't viable for a corps, just quickly burn it to cd or transfer it to someone's ipod or other mp3 device. Ipods and the like are far more common now than tape or even cd players; why not embrace it?

EXACTLY my point! The recorders we used at our championship were all bought by our circuit @ approximately $25.00 a piece. That is actually less than what I paid for my Sony cassette recorder. Not to mention that the digital recorder was waaaaay less in weight and dimension. Sure digital recorders that use a san disc are more expensive. One of the ideas for next year was to have a set of recorders to swap out when the judge has finished with that unit. Runners are used to going around and collecting tapes. His job would be to collect recorders instead and hand out another one. The recorders collected would be downloaded by a group with desktops and burn the info to a hard drive and a CD. Another idea was to purchase in bulk digital recorders that have san disc. Instead of handing over the recorder, the disc would be given to the runner.

Our circuit has set up links on their website for instructors use only by using a password. From what I understand, when we go full digital next year, judges comments can be linked directly to that website. Instructors can only listen to their group/groups comments.

I think it's great that we are moving forward with the digital age. I have faith in our circuit that things will work out next season. :blush:

I don't hate or fear the digital age. I have an iPod (with third-party software thankyouverymuch) and love it.

I know that someday that the marching activities (corps, band, indoor) will make the switch, and I honestly look forward to that date. But for now, I just wonder HOW it can be done in a way that all the staffs can easily access it and listen to it before critique. If each show presents the option of CD or download to a portable device, or other options, then cool! Bring it on! But one single option right now will exclude a lot of people, no matter what that option is. A DVD will likely do groups no good AT the show site. I can see it being extremely useful after the show to disect it. The thought of listening to the judges comments while watching the performance (like the DCI DVD's) is great. But again, that's not an easy option to do quickly before critique.

The digital age will reach the marching activities someday, but until then it will be interesting to wonder how it will.