judges' comments on TAPE

89 members have voted

1. 1. When will judges' TAPES be replaced by something more technologically advanced?

• 1-5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11-20 years
    • 21 or more years
    • never

Has anyone else ever wondered how much longer corps staff members are going to have to carry around TAPE players for the sole purpose of listening to judges' tapes? Pretty much nobody has tape players with them for listening to music anymore. Not many vehicles come equipped with tape players anymore either. How far away are we from having them on mini-CD's, or .wav's or mp3's? Maybe use little memory cards or something? I dunno, cassette tapes are so antiquated. Or is this a tradition that DCI will just want to hang on to? :P

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard of some local circuits using digital recordings on CD for winterguards and percussion ensembles, but I personally haven't seen it.

There's quite a lot of potential to give ensembles better analysis with pretty standard technology now. For instance, how cool would it be to get a DVD with a high cam view and the ability to listen to the judges audio synced to it? With a laptop with a DVD burner, a video camera, and a few cheap digital voice recorders, you could do that with relative ease, especially in the indoor circuits.

god forbid DCI does something high-tech.

~>conner

I can assure you all that one marching band "association" will be trial using a new digital system to put all judges tapes on to one CD using a combination of FM transmitter and some kind of multitrack recorder dealy bob. Wish I could give more info but if it's successful, which it will be, you can expect judging to take a fundamental leap up a few rungs on the old tech ladder.

I too have wondered the same thing. It might be very nice to get judges comments on something similar to a mini disc recorder. They are small and compact, and the judge can actually use a headset microphone; so they never have to hold the tape recorder up to their face (this is good for the visual judges). We would also get cleaner tapes of the performance back, and not that nasty sounding cling clang clonk sound that often gets on judges tapes...Grrr. I hate listening to judges tapes when you can hardly hear or make use of what is being said.

I dont see why they cant just use digital recordings...

my guess is when it is cost effective to do so