Help Fill in some blanks

Gary:

Regarding the following:

The Sabre Cadets were a one year merger (75) of the Sharpsville Blue Sabres and Sharpsburg Cadets. After '75, they were no more and did not migrate into something else.

RM - I was there

ampssuck

this entry came from a website that listed corps by state along with other additional information like years, junior or senior, etc.............is it possible that this was a corps from the AL/VFW era that preceeded Vern Acklin, and a seperate corps (the one you are referring to) was the one year merger corps?

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the Blue Devils of Johnstown, PA. I was a member of this Senior Corps from 1953 to 1955. We were sponsored by American Legion Post 294 in Johnstown. We were a parade corps and competed primarily at "Fireman's Day" parades around west-central PA. My highlight was going to the AL National convention in 1954 in Washington. It's one of those things that stay with you; marching down Pennsylvania Avenue. I was in High School at this time and the youngest member in the corps. I played both snare and b flat baritone horn, depending on what was needed that particular day. I have 3 pics of the Blue Devils I will share and wish I could locate others with more photos, or any other member of this corps. Our theme song was "When the Saints come Marching in". I later moved to Chicago and played with the "Men of Brass" (Skokie Indians). I am currently a Board member with the Pacific Crest Division I corps in Diamond Bar, CA. Bob Heffley, Los Angeles, 818.219.9286 Heffleys@Yahoo.com August 15, 2007.

thanks Bob - I still remember seeing the Blue Devils equipment truck parked somewhere around Johnstown....an old milk truck, maybe????

must be related to the "Hefley Springs" family?

And thanks for bringing this thread back to the top - I have another corps to add:

The Shamrocks from New Florence. I finally got confirmation via an old picture from the town's centennial celebration book (c 1969). Narrowed their timeline to somewhere between the 1920s to around 1942.

As of 2007 the Harrisburg Zembo Shrine Drum Corps was still "hanging in there". Talked to a member of the Zembo mounted unit at a Memorial Day parade and those were the words he used. My guess is any performing they do is within the Shriners organization only.