Help Fill in some blanks

give it to me here, the website admin will pick up updates here,...........

Gary

www.MonValleyExpress.org

Thanks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you have the drum corps history books?

best i can find on the Bonnie Scots is they were formed in the early 50's. The last year I know of for Hershey Choclatiers is 1980. The Longshoremen name changed in 52 I believe to Westshore.

Reilly was formed in 46 i believe and lasted til 67, then the 68 merger happened.

the VFW Millersburg post may be a duplicate for the Bonnies, as the Wormleysburg VFW post may be a dup for Longshoremen/Westshoremen.

The Privateers to my knowledge were junior only...many members found Westshore

this is great suff,................and yes, about half the list on past corps was gleaned from the history books,............... plus many, many, many other sources,.................as for dups, in my research, I have found that duplicates deserve listing in the many ways the corps was/is known, simply because the evolution needs to be trackable, before being considered a duplicate.................a simple example, I know a guy who marched in the AL Isreal Post 11, but never the Erie Cadets, some consider it the same corps, different years, some don't, and then there are actual arguments of who was who, when and where, so they all get a mention,.................I have actual conflicting printed data from program books, historical acounts, recordings, personal thoughts, and opinions,................................ etc,................that is why I would love to continue to build the evolutions,....................

One of the things that drives me nuts checking on early DC history is the era (40s/50s?) when corps started to be known by a name instead of a Post number and name. Real easy to know that AL Post #199 of Hawthorne is the Cabs but unless you see a corps name and Post listed together it can be a crap shoot if there is one corps or two. Thank goodness PADCHOF and www.dbcna.com have a column for sponsors.

You're missing one, the Abram K. Street Post V.F.W. corps that won the 1939 NY World's Fair contest and became Reilly after WW II. In fact, Reilly competed as the Street senior corps in 1946 before taking the F.W. Reilly name.

that is cooL!

IIRC:

Syria Shrine D&BC is still in existence. Love that DM genie!

Tyrone Guard and Gardner Guard were the same corps.

Johnstown Blue Devils were parade only, and likely a senior corps from what I can remember.

IIRC:

Syria Shrine D&BC is still in existence. Love that DM genie!

Tyrone Guard and Gardner Guard were the same corps.

Johnstown Blue Devils were parade only, and likely a senior corps from what I can remember.

Do you know how long Syria has been around, and do they have a website?

Did Tyrone change to Gardner?, or visa versa? do you have an idea on the years they existed?

Any years on Blue Devils?

Thanks!

Syria Shrine has a website, but nothing on the DBC, just the band. the Shriners do have a national association of drum corps, but no web link to it.

I remember Tyrone as both GG and Tyrone Guards, and at one point in the late 70s, hearing them announced as the "Tyrone Gardner Guards". I found this link to History of Tyrone Gardner Guards that does indicate there was a change in their name at one point.

the Blue Devils were gone by the early 70s. I've tried to get some history before but have come up empty. not too many folks in Johnstown left that remember them, and I heard most of their history was lost in the flood in 77.

Hope posting here will get an old member or two to help out.

in the pics of the corps coming down the street with two guys leading the way...is one of them John Chamberlin?

I looked over the same discussion over on 'that other board'. Since I don't post there, I'll put my additional comment here:

I'll have to disagree with John G. - #471 & 478 are NOT the same corps. While the Syria Shrine did sponsor the Thunderherd as a youth group in the 80s, the Shrine also maintained a drum and bugle marching division unit at the same time, which I still believe is marching today. Most recent recollection had them annually marching in the Ft Ligonier Days parade, which drew all of the shrine's parade/performance units.

Arabian costumes, rudimentary, most basic drumming, and piston bugles. Genie DM with a scimitar in front.