Where was your highest finish at DCA Championships?

Where was your highest finish at DCA Championships?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Where was your highest finish at DCA Championships?

• Open Class Champion
    • Second or Third
    • Fourth or Fifth
    • Sixth, Seventh, or Eighth
    • Ninth or Tenth
    • Eleventh or Twelvth
    • Open Class outside Top 12
    • Class A Champion
    • Class A Finalist
    • Class A Non-finalist
    • Never marched a DCA corps
    • Marched a DCI Div. 1 Corps
    • Marched a DCI Div. 2/3 Corps
    • Never marched in a Drum Corps

This is very similar to a thread posted in the DCI sections. Just an attempt to get a feel for what kind of breakdown of participants we have on these forums.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooops! Hey can someone make that 11th OR 12th instead of 11th OF 12th?

Thanks!

I probably could have clicked a lot of categories lol, but I clicked Open class champion in 2001 and 2002 :)

12th in 94? with Capitol Brass, Albany, NY

Although we never were able to get the numbers past about 50 members, we were all very proud to take this purely grass roots organization on a steady rise, competitively, and to the high 70's in DCA competition in '93 and '94, (I think I have the years right).

We took a corps from very humble beginnings, and in the last 2 years, operated with a first class staff, show, DCA schedule, equipment and transportation. And a drum line and small guard that were very competitive with (and occasionally placed ahead of) DCA member corps.

All this during an era when senior competitive corps, un-like the boom today, were having more trouble staying afloat. There was no RCA circuit, and , in fact few other small corps to compete against (I remember the Cheiftains, Governaires, Vangaurd still being around in those last couple of years)

We were doing "A" class senior corps before there was a such a designation, and we competed against the big boys every week on the DCA circuit.

I probably could have clicked a lot of categories lol, but I clicked Open class champion in 2001 and 2002 :)

Well that's the idea. Highest place you EVER finished.

12th in 94? with Capitol Brass, Albany, NY

Although we never were able to get the numbers past about 50 members, we were all very proud to take this purely grass roots organization on a steady rise, competitively, and to the high 70's in DCA competition in '93 and '94, (I think I have the years right).

We took a corps from very humble beginnings, and in the last 2 years, operated with a first class staff, show, DCA schedule, equipment and transportation. And a drum line and small guard that were very competitive with (and occasionally placed ahead of) DCA member corps.

All this during an era when senior competitive corps, un-like the boom today, were having more trouble staying afloat. There was no RCA circuit, and , in fact few other small corps to compete against (I remember the Cheiftains, Governaires, Vangaurd still being around in those last couple of years)

We were doing "A" class senior corps before there was a such a designation, and we competed against the big boys every week on the DCA circuit.

Been there. I marched with the Chieftains when I first got started in DCA. When Class A started up, it was like "Woah!" Cool! A place for us! I guess that's why I still pull for underdogs and why Class A means so much to me.

Been there. I marched with the Chieftains when I first got started in DCA. When Class A started up, it was like "Woah!" Cool! A place for us! I guess that's why I still pull for underdogs and why Class A means so much to me.

as you were with the Cheiftains then, I guess we sharded the same competition field quite a few times from '91-'94. We competed against each other almost every week for a few years.

I was the Capitol Brass Director back then. Your corps and ours were all alone doing "A' class in those days (unofficially)

Edited by brassomaniac

Oh now that's not entirely true. Though not all the other small corps competed week to week, there were a few more.

Les Dynamiques (one of our closest competitors)

The Grey Knights (one of my all-time favorites)

Soundwave

Grenadiers (they weren't that big and were in that end of the pack)

Sunrisers (while they were having an off-year)

Chicago Vanguard

Steel City (towards the end of their time in DCA)

Sound of Long Island

####, even the Bucs were there for a little before they got their act back together!

If you go back before 1991, I don't know. I was just a little kid then. I started out in the honor guard (not like some people's children, though - I was not some cute little kid stuck in a mini-uniform as a "mascot" - I was an actual member carrying a rifle in the actual guard proper.) Anyways... as I was doing that, I learned from other members of the corps. I learned how to read treble clef music and how to play soprano from some of the leads we had, and my family tought me how to read and play percussion. These days I can play just about anything you put in front of me, and that's a cool feeling. In my, now 15 year career, I have floated from the honor guard to the pit, to the drumline, to the hornline, back to the pit, back to the drumline, and back to the hornline again! Gives you different perspectives on the activity sometimes...

Oh now that's not entirely true. Though not all the other small corps competed week to week, there were a few more.

I was referring specifically to end of my career with cap brass, when few small corps were left participating in DCA. And I guess that it was '93, not '94.

I think that all of those corps were gone by then, and none of them participated by DCA prelims in 93.

We certainly competed against a lot of small corps from 85-92; Vangaurd, Steel City, Sound of Long Island, Grey Knights, Keystoners, Excalibur, Kingsmen, Hamilton Knights. CMCC Warriors, and more. I'm not discounting their contributions. My point was just that by the '93, it seems that only the Cheiftains and Cap Brass were left on the field, along with a few mid-western corps that didn't come out east that year. That left us to compete each week against the DCA member corps.