Making a statment of being rude?

Crossmen 92....down ending. song before the ending was...well...lol...a traditional closer. did the down ending possibly hurt GE after it was added?

Cadets 02...Boogie Woggie before the closer.....could that hurt for a temporary ending?

there is no rule that says the ending has to be huge, and lately, many corps have had songs before the closer that end huge..........so no, it may not hurt GE.

what could hurt GE is a closer that is god awfully dirty ( spelled correctly just for you) with people running into each other, lack of volume due to stamina issues, and maybe even people not knowing the music well.

nothaving a huge ending isnt going to hurt GE at all if you truly understand the caption.

GE= react to what you see. and, if a show early on ends leaving a judge confused, odds are, they wont be scoring a 19.

See my post again. I mentioned the SCV-style down ending. Just like Xmen 92. BD 94 had an ending. Phantom 2001 had an ending. SCV 2000 had an ending. Madison 97 had an ending. I didn't say the ending had to be huge, it just had to be an ENDING! Not "this is all we have done, so we're going to leave now". And, yes, sometimes the incomplete show might conclude with a moment which just HAPPENS to end with a "clap now!" moment. But certainly not always.

If a judge is confused, you bet they shouldn't get 19. But should they even get 15?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if a show is obviously not to your liking then you shouldn't have to sit through it. I didn't watch Cavies in finals in 02

But one can always hope to be edified by seeing a winning show one more time. You never know when a show will "click" with you. I've sure had that experience a few times, to my surprise.

See my post again. I mentioned the SCV-style down ending. Just like Xmen 92. BD 94 had an ending. Phantom 2001 had an ending. SCV 2000 had an ending. Madison 97 had an ending. I didn't say the ending had to be huge, it just had to be an ENDING! Not "this is all we have done, so we're going to leave now". And, yes, sometimes the incomplete show might conclude with a moment which just HAPPENS to end with a "clap now!" moment. But certainly not always.

If a judge is confused, you bet they shouldn't get 19. But should they even get 15?

YOU CANT JUDGE WHAT ISN'T THERE!

that's the key. you judge GE on what you see and how you react to it within the criteria of the sheet. if you dont know what's coming, you can not penalize a corps for it, you can only judge what is there...and if you look, GE scores do usually start lower, then grow as the season goes on.

if i were called by DCI to judge next week, and i was on GE.....i wouldnt know what's coming in an incomplete show, i could just go on what I see.

did SCV early on have the ending they did? maybe not.....and they werent judged on what wasn't there.

case in point....the band i taught last year did Russian Xmas. first show out, we didnt have the full tune out there...we closed with the initial big hit. judges stated "wow great build to that hit.....i can tell you arent done, but the way you built to that moment could make it a closer all on it's own"

many times corps wont end in the middle of a tune unless it's a conclusive phrase ending, often before a feel or tempo change...and if done well, reward it.

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

Personally I'm all for limiting the number of sets in show. And maybe even penalties for incomplete shows.

Unless a corps is undertime, how does anyone know that to assess such a penalty?

As for limiting sets...I am against limiting anything, so IMO that's a terrible idea.

Well if a show is obviously not to your liking then you shouldn't have to sit through it. I didn't watch Cavies in finals in 02

Wow, you and maybe two others??? :worthy:

YOU CANT JUDGE WHAT ISN'T THERE!

THAT'S EXACTLY MY POINT!

*caps lock off*

The problem I have is that it seems judges will give a score to an incomplete show KNOWING that it is incomplete. "OK I can tell you're not finished, this is a work in progress, can't wait to see the whole thing." They should judge the show, and every show, as if it IS complete. I mean, most people including judges can tell if a show is incomplete or not. That shouldn't matter. They should give a score based on the assumption that the show is complete, even though they're well aware that it's not. Otherwise, they're being lenient towards some corps but not others.

If a corps decided to have their guard just march their closer without spinning equipment at all, wouldn't that hurt visual (and maybe music a little) G.E.? I'm not talking about an early show, I'm talking about any other show, like July or August. Don't you think that would hurt them significantly? What if a corps decided to stand still for the lst 1:30 of their show. I don't mean in June, I mean that's how they DESIGNED the show, and they did that in August. Don't you think that should hurt their score? Why are they being cut a break in June that they wouldn't get in any other month?

Unless a corps is undertime, how does anyone know that to assess such a penalty?

As for limiting sets...I am against limiting anything, so IMO that's a terrible idea.

I agree with Mike for a change.

How do you penalize something that isn't there?