Bluecoats 2006 - Something Incredible

not to beat a horse thats been dead since page 2, but....

... same could be said about BAC going into their 01 season and Glassmen of the late 90s and early 2000's.

Thank you for proving my point!

Boy oh boy, it's a good thing you put us in our place! We all appreciate the dose of reality. :sshh: :lol:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concerning the topic. For what it's worth, I spoke with someone who attended the Blue Debut.

She is not really a Bluecoat fan. Her comment was "their show is certainly moving up a notch design wise from anything they've done in the past."

WHAAAAAAAAAT???? You mean the Bluecoats are GOOD? Has the underworld frozen over? ^0^

i'll see them thursday :) looking forward to it

I'm just looking forward to watching the corps enjoy their season. Who knows what will happen with placements. Alwys a crapshoot. I just know the corps is happy with their progress and enjoying performing the show.

Animal House....close, but "no cigar". The movie with the quote is from about the same time period. Here's a clue: The quote "what's the #### Germans got to do with it" came from

"an officer of the law".

Smokey And The Bandit

What I want to know is, why now? What have the Bluecoats done over the past couple of years that has worked vs. 20 years ago? I remember in 1987 when they beat Phantom at the first show. In 1988 they beat Phantom, Star, and Cavies at the first show. In 1989 they hit 8th place. I remember thinking this is the next corps to breat in to the top 5....welll that hasn't happened until 2005. It seemed like they had all the opportunities back then to become the next powerhouse, but nothing happened. It's interesting to see them come so far in such a short time 2001-2005, after years of being in the top 12. I think it's great, but I still hope Madison mops the floor with them at finals. Man, their rivalry reminds me of us and Phantom when I marched. You loved their product, respected them, but man it sucked to lose to them. I still hate when the Bluecoats beat Madison....why couldn't it be Phantom they beat instead? Still love Phantom, but the only corps I never minded beating Madison was SCV - because they are THE BOMB!!!! :P

Edited by gellio

Personally, I hate the Supercorps thing. I absolutely hate the fact that every year with 95% certainty we know who the top 3 will be. In the past 15 years there have only been two corps who have a chance to challenge one of those corps for a top 3 spot. It has been my dream for a long time to see a new face in the top 4 (and hopefully higher) The fact that it is the corps that made me wanna march drum corps, my (now, second) favorite corps is a total bonus.

BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE!!!!

And look at the bright side. At least nobody's bashing Bluecoats for a uni change. :D

P.s. What's up with that sash though, I mean come on... :ph34r:

What I want to know is, why now? What have the Bluecoats done over the past couple of years that has worked vs. 20 years ago? I remember in 1987 when they beat Phantom at the first show. In 1988 they beat Phantom, Star, and Cavies at the first show. In 1989 they hit 8th place. I remember thinking this is the next corps to breat in to the top 5....welll that hasn't happened until 2005. It seemed like they had all the opportunities back then to become the next powerhouse, but nothing happened. It's interesting to see them come so far in such a short time 2001-2005, after years of being in the top 12. I think it's great, but I still hope Madison mops the floor with them at finals. Man, their rivalry reminds me of us and Phantom when I marched. You loved their product, respected them, but man it sucked to lose to them. I still hate when the Bluecoats beat Madison....why couldn't it be Phantom they beat instead? Still love Phantom, but the only corps I never minded beating Madison was SCV - because they are THE BOMB!!!! :P

Unfortunately there was a lot of staff changes in the early 90's that didn't help the corps development. I think the reason for their sudden upsurge is the stability of staff and since naming a full time corps director who can focus 100% of his time to moving the corps in the right direction.

I'm just looking forward to watching the corps enjoy their season. Who knows what will happen with placements. Alwys a crapshoot. I just know the corps is happy with their progress and enjoying performing the show.

Smokey And The Bandit

Close, but the Smokey and the Bandit quote is:

Sheriff Branford: The fact that you are a sheriff is not germane to the situation.

Buford T. Justice: The god #### Germans got nothin' to do with it!

Every corps has their fallback. Cavies have GE and visual, BD has Brass and guard, Cadets have percussion and guard, Phantom has Brass.

Wait wait wait... in order for a caption to be what you have termed a 'fall back,' wouldn't that require that they win it once in a while, or at least that it consistently overperforms other captions? I can understand the connection between The Cavaliers and GE & Visual; certainly the connection between The Cadets and percussion is self explanatory (and with the exception of last year SCV was led forward by this caption as well); and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that BD's guard and hornline are consistently very successful. But when was the last time Phantom won brass at a major regional? (other than a few freak occurences). Their brass placements are nearly always consistent with the placement of the corps as a whole. I'd hardly agree that brass is a 'fall back' for the Phantom Regiment. That is, if this whole 'fall back' scenario is a legitimate way to view placement anyway, which it is not. Very rarely do individual captions place consistently higher (or lower) than others so much that they could be called a 'fall back', recent exceptions to this fact include the Carolina Crown color guard, SCV percussion (save 2005), and the pre-millenium inferiority of The Cavaliers brass section. For the most part, caption placements are very near the corps placement, especially at the top, and I don't think the data shows AT ALL that Phantom Regiment has been able to, in recent years, 'fall back' on their brass performance scores.

...sorry about the digression

...continue with the intended topic

[edited for typos]

Edited by horn_star