Bluecoats 2006 - Something Incredible

I was able to enjoy some time down in Belle Vernon, PA this past weekend watching the Canton Bluecoats work on their show and put in some new visuals. For those of you who have not seen the Bluecoats, or perhaps have not heard some clips, their show is titled "Connexus," and it features music of Pat Metheny, Don Ellis, Benoit Jutras, and Ennio Morricone. This may very well be the most ambitious show to date that the corps has worked on, and the level of demand and artistry is really amazing. The word at the camp is that the horns are ahead of last year, and I would agree with that. This music is very demanding, utilizes the trademark toe-tapping moments that the corps is known for, and it featues a number of soloists. The percussion section looks to be very strong once again, and I was amazed by their drill. Could be the most demanding drill that we have seen for them, or for the entire corps. Looks like there will be 40 in the guard, the horns are fully loaded and ready to bring some serious power to a stadium near you, and the percussion section will again be fantastic (I think 10 snares, 5 tenors, and 5 basses).

As always, the Bluecoats are entertaining, and that passion they have for showmanship, which we have seen in most of their shows over the decades, will once again be present. I was thrilled with what I saw this past weekend. Both music and drill were very entertaining and are already showing signs of excellence. Obviously, they are not clean yet (who is?), and some of the new moves that were being inserted into the show were just incredible.

For those of you who live in the Northeastern Ohio region, or even those of you who live in western PA, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, and West Virginia, and don't mind the drive, the Bluecoats will give a short performance this Wednesday back in Canton, OH (well actually in Massillon). This concert is called Blue Debut and is sort of a send-off concert for area fans to come and see the corps before they hit the road. The show will include section performances at first, with some demonstrations, and then will feature the full show and a short stand still after the full run through. The show starts at 7:30 PM. I think cost is $5, and it will be held at Paul Brown Stadium in Massillon, OH. Massillon is the town just 5 miles or so to the west of Canton off Route 30 or 172. Hope many of you can attend.

The Bluecoats will not dissapoint this summer.

Jonathan Willis

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that the Blue Debut is and always has been free since it was started back in the early 90's. they used to have performances by a local big band as well as other groups.

It was nice talking with you Jonathan. Brad's mom made a great lunch. The dinner at KFC was a blast (and I am glad we agreed about things like the 88 season and whatnot).

It was cold and you left a little early. The corps did a full run through around 9:40...very good. You going to the Blue Debut on Wednesday or to Ted's castle tomorrow?

Fun times,

Elmo Blatch

Is there going to be any changes on the uniforms? :)

Inquiring minds want to know...to my knowledge, there are no plans to alter the uniform this year.

Well, I might be wrong....does placing a medal around members necks on August 12th, count as a uniform change?

:P

Elmo Blatch

It was nice talking with you Jonathan. Brad's mom made a great lunch. The dinner at KFC was a blast (and I am glad we agreed about things like the 88 season and whatnot).

Fun times,

Elmo Blatch

I'm curious to know what about the 88 season you agreed on.

youre getting ahead of yourself

They award metals to the entire Top 12 so, unless the corps does a downward spiral along the lines of the '64 Phillies, I'd say this would be a safe prediction.

Alright...yet another corps I can't wait to see this year - maybe I'm just excited for drum corps season to be here at all.