An irrefutable statement regarding the woodwind debate

Kusankusho,

You will be much happier if you just put MikeD on your ignore list, like I did. I mean, if you know you will never agree on things, then why frustrate yourself by reading his posts? (I suspect he probably has me on his ignore list as well, and if he doesn't, he probably should) :P I respect MikeD's opinions, and he has every right to them, but I will NEVER agree with him on the topic of woodwinds or amplification in drumcorps, so...ignored.. (no offense, Mike, if you can see this) :D

I need to be careful with this post, because what I'm going to say could really sound bad/mean.

In my opinion, you shouldn't ignore someone just because they have a differing view from you. Being (literally) ignorant of someone's views doesn't really say "respect" to me.

I've had people on my ignore list in the past, but none right now. I didn't ignore people if they held differing opinions from me. I only ignored them if they gave those opinions and proceeded to trash anyone that disagrees with him (the big, gray area called the CE Forum comes to mind right now). Mike Davis and I agree on few issues, in both drum corps and the world. But he debates his topics respectfully, isn't condescending, and does not attack people with a differing opinion. Were I to meet Mike Davis in person, I'd likely buy him a beer. Of course, I'd probably pour that one on his head for being wrong about everything, then buy him a second to drink. :P

Yeah, Mike makes me want to rip my hair out sometimes, too. But, in my opinion, he's not "worthy" of being ignored.

Edited by Tank

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Were I to meet Mike Davis in person, I'd likely buy him a beer. Of course, I'd probably pour that one on his head for being wrong about everything, then buy him a second to drink. :P

Ah yes, a nice beer shampoo!

Yeah, Mike makes me want to rip my hair out sometimes, too. But, in my opinion, he's not "worthy" of being ignored.

May it remain that way.

BTW...A corps with WW added still contains brass, percussion, and guard.

Just to note, that's now what he meant when he made that statement. He was referring to how he liked ensembles that used music written for a orchestral-style ensemble (with missing groups such as woodwinds, strings, etc.) but were played on just brass and percussion, involving much reworking. When you start adding back instruments that have/had parts in the score, then you lose hearing the brass players play parts that they normally wouldn't. He just wants to hear what all a group of just brass and percussion players are capable of. The more instrumentation you add back, the less you have of this particular challenge, which in my mind, is only present in DCI/DCA, so once you remove it, it's gone.

But, in my opinion, he's not "worthy" of being ignored.

May it remain that way.

Huh? :lol: What did you say? :lol: Who are you again??? :grrr: Edited by DrumCorpsFan27