Slightly OT: Our National Anthem

How does this relate to drum corps....well....AtB would be a lot better in retreat than SSB + OC.

^0^

No more SSB + OC in retreat, though.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, from the history that I've read (being a history minor helps as well), borrowing a songs melody was quite a common practice in America's early days...

I think this just about sums it up...

It may have indeed been a common practice...but there are a lot of things back then that were common practice (slavery, denying of suffrage, powdered wigs) that I don't particularly care to claim as symbolic of America.

Except for those rad powdered wigs....man, I would look so cool in one.

5036.jpg

Ok, so it's not my best photoshop work, but what do you want for 2 minutes? Cut me some slack! :P

Two words:

THANK

GOD

Hmm...what's the new tune?

You know, I know I am supposed to be PC and sensitive to your feelings on matters I may not agree with, but WTF. Part of the diversity of our society is putting up with things you may not like. So at what point do you just STFU and settle down and put up with things you do not like? I don't like having to listen to whiny, self centered little s#$% who think their opinion is worth more than anyone elses, but you know what, I do, because for the love of tap dancing Buddha they have every right to do so. I'm not going to pull out the old, "Try that in another coutry", walnut, but I will leave you with this thought. Try singing it. Yes, try singing the SSB, I mean well and get back to me.

I know this will be removed, I have accepted that, but I don't care. I remember when there was a time when "Tsar" would have gotten a swift a@@ wooping for this. Isn't it nicer now? ^0^

Why not?

You know, I know I am supposed to be PC and sensitive to your feelings on matters I may not agree with, but WTF. Part of the diversity of our society is putting up with things you may not like. So at what point do you just STFU and settle down and put up with things you do not like? I don't like having to listen to whiny, self centered little s#$% who think their opinion is worth more than anyone elses, but you know what, I do, because for the love of tap dancing Buddha they have every right to do so. I'm not going to pull out the old, "Try that in another coutry", walnut, but I will leave you with this thought. Try singing it. Yes, try singing the SSB, I mean well and get back to me.

I know this will be removed, I have accepted that, but I don't care. I remember when there was a time when "Tsar" would have gotten a swift a@@ wooping for this. Isn't it nicer now? ^0^

Whoa. He doesn't like a song. That's all.

I know this will be removed, I have accepted that, but I don't care. I remember when there was a time when "Tsar" would have gotten a swift ### wooping for this. Isn't it nicer now? ^0^

There was a time when you could have tried to give me an ### whooping, but I guarantee you...I give as good as I get, and you certainly wouldn't have an easy time of it.

So let me turn things around on you, sir...at what point do YOU decide that you are mature enough to accept thatsomeone's opinion differs from YOURS? Or do we have to fall in line because our opinions differ from yours (or the mainstream)?

Try singing it. Yes, try singing the SSB, I mean well and get back to me.

This makes no sense whatsoever...it sounds like you are challenging me to sing the SSB well, because it is a difficult song to sing....

WHICH IS OF COURSE EXACTLY MY POINT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

A little reading comprehension goes a long way.

Or, to put it in language you can understand:

You know, I know I'm supposed to be PC and sensitive to your feelings on matters I may not agree with, but WTF. Part of the diversity of our society is putting up with things you may not like. So at what point do you just STFU and settle down and put up with things you do not like? I don't like having to listen to overbearing, self-centered old farts who think their opinion is worth more than anyone else's, but you know what? I do, because for the love of line-dancing Jehovah, they have every right to do so. I'm not going to pull out the old, "Try that in another coutry," walnut, but I will leave you with this thought: Try singing "America the Beautiful." Then try singing SSB. Even if you thoroughly suck at singing, I guarantee you will have a better time of it singing the former, not the latter.

And after all that, I still think that the SSB is crappy music.

Don't let it get you down.

Hugs and kisses,

The Tsar

<edited for filter circumvention. -KM>

Edited by Krista

How does this relate to drum corps....well....AtB would be a lot better in retreat than SSB + OC.

^0^

Umm... As far as I know SSB+OC has never been played during retreat...

The song that was played during retreat WAS America the Beautiful/O' Canada

Did people really think that it was SSB?

Ever been in The Military? Just curious if the majority of US Veterans would choose to lose SSB in favor of America The Beautiful.

That last part of the last line........"Land of The Free and The Home Of The Brave?"

It's a lot more than just a catch phrase welded onto the chassis of an old English drinking tune.

Not too far off topic, but would it seem right too officially replace "Scotland The Brave" as a national anthem with "Flower Of Scotland?" Both get sung and both are now part of the canon of music of Scotland. I like both and both have their respective place....interestingly enough, both are considered ample representations of Scottish pride.

"America" and "God Save The Queen?" Same tune. Many examples exist.

BTW: America The Beautiful has reference to a Creator. Wanna dump it because it mentions God and could possibly offend somebody?

Not picking any fights, just reflecting:

RON HOUSLEY

US ARMY, Ret.

Disabled American Veteran since 1968

"Land of the Free BECAUSE of The Brave"

Edited by ffernbus3

Umm... As far as I know SSB+OC has never been played during retreat...

The song that was played during retreat WAS America the Beautiful/O' Canada

Did people really think that it was SSB?

No, I was trying to tie in the original post into something having to do with drum corps, and wasn't very clear about it...

What I meant was that AtB plus OC is a better combination than SSB + OC.

Sorry for any confusion.