quick question... not meant to stir the pot.

FYI, Madison didnt make finals in 72 either. it was their 2nd non finalist year

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uhhh... it has been all I can do to force myself to stay out of this thread and not bore you all to death with my theories and BS about

when I marched and why I don't like some of the stuff now and why I LOVE some of the stuff now yadda yadda yadda...

a few here have done a great job explaining far better than I could without me adding my well known smart alecky remarks, because I

don't care what anyone thinks of me. I get to participate here, and that's the way it is.

But this post is just dumb. Oh please not a bando guy... do tell us all... enlighten us with your superior knowledge... just where might

we find intelligent conversation about drum corps?? I mean, where is that super-secretive utopian place where all of you "enlightened"

know-it-alls go to have intelligent, meaningful conversations about corps...where no one expresses opinions...and all the OLD people

do not participate??? Please tell us of that super-secretive site, where you gotta have the secret "I'm a doof" handshake to get in and

everyone in there agree's on everything because it's all so intelligent...

:worthy:

yeah...sarcasm intended. But intentionally put...

Flamethrowers off.

Chill out dude. To illustrate my point, check out some of the more recent threads that only end up bickering between users over pointless things. The first one that comes to mind is "madison's new show."

FYI, Madison didnt make finals in 72 either. it was their 2nd non finalist year

yes, thank you for that correction. as i said in the post, i'm not historically up on it as well as i should be. oh well, someday i'll learn. :worthy:

Just to add my .02, I marched in a very small corps in the late 70's early 80's and dreamed of marching with one of the "big guys". Well, as things happened I ended up joining the military and put in 20 years and never returned to corps. It's a descision that I will have to live with, but one I had to make.

My advice is this, as has been stated may times, MARCH, and have a good time. Don't worry about what anyone says about corps today, personally, I don't care for the amps, but I still like to watch a great show. If I hadn't marched in a corps, I would not have the great friends I have today. We were never over 50 members, but we were a tight hard working fun having group.

72 was the first year of DCI..are you referring to VFW's?

nope they placed either 13th or 14th. thats why all those years SCV was the only corps to make finals every year...Madison missed the first dance. in 73 then they powered in and began building the 74-76 juggernauts

nope they placed either 13th or 14th. thats why all those years SCV was the only corps to make finals every year...Madison missed the first dance. in 73 then they powered in and began building the 74-76 juggernauts

I totally misread this...

Madison didnt make finals in 72 either. it was their 2nd non finalist year

I thought you somehow meant 72 was somehow their second non-finalist year.

Sorry...

There are far LESS corps nationwide, and just a handful of "championship" level corps that everyone knows - Cavaliers, Cadets, Scouts, Phantom, BD, SCV, Bluecoats, Boston, Xmen at the junior level, so there's less of a "community" feel to most corps since there are so few competitive ones left these days.

This loss of community is what I feel the most. Well stated. I dont intend to be one of the ones bashing todays activity, and I hope I dont ever come across as that, but I do think that as corps have folded and the activity has changed it is only natural for some people to miss the old days or the old corps or the way things used to be.

Connor:

This is my take, from someone who drifted away from Drum Corps when guard started to look more like Swan Lake and less like 27th Lancers.

One of the unique things about drum corps was the SOUND. In-your-face brass, outstanding percussion and bad-*** guard defined what drum corps was.

Now, it's all about gimmicks: costumes, tarps, props, and jazz running to the spot. Lots of emoting from the guard, which is pretty worthless from the top of the stands.

Never, never, EVER have I bashed the kids. I agree with RobH: the kids are handed the show with the instructions, "learn this". The kids do what the staff tells them.

I have issues with the governing bodies of drum corps and the drum corps organization itself...the activity is migrating toward the realm of marching band...something it should never be. Drum corps is drum corps...marching band is marching band. They can (and do) co-exist and should be kept as separate entities.

Because I do not like what drum corps is currently doing, I choose not to spend my money. However, I will go this year, as my newphew starts high school marching band and I do want to expose him to drum corps. I showed him shows from 1980 Bridgemen and 27th Lancers and 1987 Cadets...he liked what he saw. I did tell him that he'd see something completely different nowadays, but perhaps that would help fuel his love of music and marching. I will do what I can to help cultivate that interest.

When (and if) you decide to march in a drum corps, I wish you well. Judging from the brothers and sisters who came before you, you'll have a grand time.

Sally

Edited by SBrancheau

I know it's human nature, and I dont disagree with that.

What I do disagree with is hurting people's feelings because people decide since amps are present, the show automatically sucks. It's not a matter of age, it's just ridiculous. It'd be a lot more pracitcal, and a lot more "Friendly" to just say "Well, I think I liked what they did, but I just dont like amps," instead of "They suck, because they use amps."

get it?

~>conner

I don't think anyone is out to hurt a marching member's feelings. We all know the work, dedication and determination it takes to be out there. What upsets me are those in charge of the direction of drum corps. That is where I feel my negativity. I think those in charge use the fact that we won't take it out on marching members to push through agendas that wouldn't fly otherwise. With children and young adults involved, there will always be an audience cheering. I believe that audience could be a lot larger than it is today, had some changes been different. But I will never lose the respect I have for the kids who bust their butts all year. I never have.