Phantom horn switch

This one is for music majors or anyone who might know. For the Ballad the Phantom sop line puts their horns down and picks up euphs. Then after the ballad they pick up their sops again and are playing some serious licks and notes. Wouldn't that completely mess up your ambasure(sp)? Going from a small bore mouth piece to a large bore then back to a small bore again.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They play Baris not Euphs.

It's much easier for a trumpet or horn player to go to bigger mouthpiece and horn then the other way.

It takes good training (which they get at Phantom) and some getting use to, and I won't say it's easy, but it's not as difficult as it may seem.

Remember in bands and orchestras many players switch sizes of instruments all the time:

flute/piccolo

oboe/English horn

bassoon/contra bassoon

trumpet/piccolo trumpet

etc.

This one is for music majors or anyone who might know. For the Ballad the Phantom sop line puts their horns down and picks up euphs. Then after the ballad they pick up their sops again and are playing some serious licks and notes. Wouldn't that completely mess up your ambasure(sp)? Going from a small bore mouth piece to a large bore then back to a small bore again.

*embouchure

playing baritone actually helps focus the trumpet sound... so this is actually a useful trumpet tip in phantom's show...

I can't wait to see this, i bet it's going to be awesome!!!!

I remember last year, one of the marching bands during one of their numbers had a bunch of woodwind players pick up low brass instruments hidden behind a black screen on the field and others go into the pit and play percussion instruments, for a louder effect, as well as about 15-20 other woodwind players picked up flags also hidden behind the screen. This gave the whole show more of a corps feel that came across cool without being cheesy. Since while the woodwinds did a fairly simple routine of flag, the regular guard did some rifle work that was pretty good for a high school guard.

I imagine this section of Phantom's show will be one of my most enjoyable moments of the seaon!!!

I did all of the mouthpiece excercises for 2001 Crossmen on a bari mouthpiece, just to keep my focus in check and "stay big." If I were them, I'd love every minute on those things!!!!!

Can't wait to hear it next Monday!

I did all of the mouthpiece excercises for 2001 Crossmen on a bari mouthpiece, just to keep my focus in check and "stay big." If I were them, I'd love every minute on those things!!!!!

Can't wait to hear it next Monday!

You going to the show in Chesapeake too?