Amplified whistle

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Percussion instruments are defined are objects that are hit to create sound. Last I checked you don't smash or hit a whistle. By definition, they should then be illegal.

so then, if I hit you and say, you were to scream, then by definition you are a percussion instrument. :music: :P

Not sure that's gonna work..... at any rate.... percussionists and secions have been using other "toys" for a loooooooong time. some examples: bird calls, shakers, whistle, siren, guiro, chime trees, etc.

so....if we use that definition, we're eliminating a lot of stuff.

just a thought.

Percussion instruments are defined are objects that are hit to create sound. Last I checked you don't smash or hit a whistle. By definition, they should then be illegal.

I would imagine that they are legal in DCI, not by your definition of "percussion", but by DCI's "rulebook" :)

I would imagine that they are legal in DCI, not by your definition of "percussion", but by DCI's "rulebook" :)

The hornline members were the only one whistling in the Cavies 04 show (pit was playing weird effects and the d-line was doing the spinning circle thing). Of course, the Cadets whistled into amps last year, but it was before they were being judged...

Here to confirm this fact. No whistling was amped in '04. Snaps however, were.

We found that the whistling projected much better when we were spread out across the field than when we were clumped together.

edit: I, however, am not able to whistle, so I marched and just tried to look pretty for the judges.

Edited by Jayzer

If something's illegal then no corps would utilize it....certainly not the Cavies

I think Jeff Fiedler has a good idea what's legal and what's not

Edited by JMS0527

If something's illegal then no corps would utilize it....certainly not the Cavies

I think Jeff Fiedler has a good idea what's legal and what's not

Quoted for truth...I'm sure they did some rulebook-digging before adding amped whistles within the first three minutes of the show. :worthy:

The hornline members were the only one whistling in the Cavies 04 show (pit was playing weird effects and the d-line was doing the spinning circle thing). Of course, the Cadets whistled into amps last year, but it was before they were being judged...

But why would you need a police whistle amplified? As far as being legal: yes, yes they are. A recent show that used them in the hornline: Madison Scouts 2005. A recent show that used them in the pit: Cadets 2003.

No that was the snapping. The whistling was just the horn members.. no amps.
Here to confirm this fact. No whistling was amped in '04. Snaps however, were.

We found that the whistling projected much better when we were spread out across the field than when we were clumped together.

edit: I, however, am not able to whistle, so I marched and just tried to look pretty for the judges.

Umm....did you see these posts? There was no amped whistling in that show whatsoever.

Tristan, are you saying that the whistling was amped?

:worthy: