Early Season Impressions (APD's)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Chuck on Phantom's show, they are in for trouble. From a less technical standpoint, the GE is lacking. I really want to like this show, just having a hard time finding moments that will allow me to get excited. Anyone else having this problem?

Not really...I find myself listening to this APD more than any of the others...it's stuck in my head quite a bit too. Yeah there are a few design issues, I will say that...it's nothing that can't be fixed or rewritten. Incredibly excited about seeing this show tonight. :worthy:

Edited by Hrothgar15

I find that I'm having a hard time getting into it as of yet. I'm guessing that will get better as they continue to tweak the show.

I agree with Chuck about the Phantom show (excellent review and analysis by the way). I do like Phantom's show, and my feeling is that with the right tweaks and re-writes, they could have one heck of a show come late July. That horn line is awesome, and the overall power, sound, and musical thrills the show delivers is already good, just not quite top 3 good. But it is a show to keep an eye on.

Jonathan

From Southwind's website:

"Southwind will be exploring various levels of duality such as: white vs. black, brass vs. percussion, classical vs. contemporary, side vs. side, front vs. back, and flags vs. weapons, to name a few."

With that said. . .

I didn't look this up until after I listened to the show.

First things first: This show sounds like it was programmed by people who are used to programming 8 minute shows, and then had to fill it up at the end. This is not an insult, but an observation. They ran out of melody a long time ago, and the creativity of alternating snippetts of material and calling it "duality" pretty much maxed out in the opener. To recall it at the end is the part where the show's level of interest really trailed off (even though this was the most agressively performed section of the show).

If it was me? I'd make the closer their opener. . .

It sounds as though the designers knew the drums would be strong and programmed accordingly?

Strengths: The drum line is pretty good -- not good enough to be in the spotlight as much as they are (yet), but pretty good. The writing is obvious, with no "duality" that I can point to and say "good interplay from this section to that". Pit is under-utilized in general. It could really be enhanced by more exposure of the woods and warmer sounds. Currently it is brittle. . . dry -- perhaps they'll be adding sustained metallic or cymbal voices later?

Brass line sounds young. There is almost no middle-voice presence aside from the lick from Holsinger's "King's Go Off To War", and the quality of sound is fairly thin. Dynamics are "p" or "ff" right now. Not much inbetween. Some talent in the tubas and lead trumepts, though range and faster articulations suffer in quality often. There was a moment of nice exposure technically in the opener. . . but the scale-wise motion and predictable nature of the lick made it more a reflection of what someone thinks is one of the required "hoops" to jump through for the sheets, rather than having musical relation to the music that comes before and after. . . which is one of the true arts of arranging. . . making things sound like they belonged there all along even when they're not from the original.

Pacing is going to be the major challenge, even after most of the performance and training issues are taken care of.

Too much similarity in the opener and closer.

Drums featured in same way each time.

Variety of voicings in both the brass and percussion arrangements is lacking.

Limited range and key exposures.

"Claire de Lune" starts well, but the lushness and whole-tone quality we expect from Debussy is lacking. It's as though someone had a cool idea, then couldn't finish it with the same passion.

I heard very little audience response -- and this is a programming issue. All the original source material is perfectly fine in terms of legitimate musical worth! But the way they've been cut apart, reattached and paced. . . 10 lbs in a 5 pound bag.

There is little freshness in this show. Not much to get excited about, unless you really enjoy hearing a drumline jam on some relatively simple riffs at the same volume for a long time.

Of course, the effort of the performers is appreciated, and I'm sure they'll have a wonderful experience on the road -- as all corps do.

Prediction: Kids will outperform an easy book soon.

Prediction: Scores will flatline in 3rd week of July.

Prediction: 18th place at 1/4 Finals

Chuck Naffier

Dear Chuck,

As a designer for the Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps, I am sorry to hear that your lack of interest in our show is found here. I find it disturbing that you were very critical of our show and I hope that after an additional hearing, your views will change.

First, have you analyzed Debussy's "Clair de Lune"? I would love to get your thoughts on the "whole-tone quality we expect from Debussy." If you listen to the parts chosen for our arrangement, you will notice that the majority of the composition centers around an alternation between Db and F minor. Once again, I would love to gain some of your insights on the "whole-tone quality we expect from Debussy" and how it relates to "Clair de Lune."

Secondly, you mention that the "Pit is under-utilized in general." As the arranger for the front ensemble, I find this comment extremely confusing. For almost two minutes, the pit carries the show with its arrangement of "Clair de Lune." I would like to hear exact points in which they are "under-utilized." This is a very general statement without any supporting information.

Lastly, your comment, "It [i am assuming this is referring to the front ensemble] could really be enhanced by more exposure of the woods and warmer sounds. Currently it is brittle. . . dry -- perhaps they'll be adding sustained metallic or cymbal voices later?" is vague. If you listen to the opening and closing productions, there are distinct conversations from metals to woods, from side one to side two and a diversity of instruments exploring a metal vs. wood idea (cajones, thundersheets, djembe, riq). During the second production (Clair de Lune), there are plenty of opportunties to focus on the conversation from warm wood sounds to sustained metallic voices.

Chuck, I am not writing to argue your personal, subjective opinions, rather I am trying to assist you so that your next viewing of the Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps will be a more pleasing performance. If you feel the need to post comments on any shows this summer (performed by any Drum and Bugle Corps), I would hope that they would have something beneficial to offer the performers and instructors instead of negating their work.

Eric Willie,

Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps

Edited by EricWillie

I love the review and agree with most of it, but I dont know how I feel completely reviewing off the APD's having not seen anything visually yet. Some things make more sense with the full visual, especially with the Glassmen. I think their show would make a lot more sense, especially the 3rd movement stuff with a full picture of what's going on. But all in all, great review.

I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it! Thunder Stealer!!! Anyway the Glassmen have a great show musically until that darn 3rd part! I was eating every minute of it until the part 3. What a let down. I felt like I had been transported to the zoo. It was awful and I wanted them off the field. Well I guess my feelings weren’t that strong or negative, but I hope they rewrite that part completely to fit in with the show. The show is dark, powerful, and full of passion. Let’s keep it like that.

If only they were as polished as they were a few years back.

Dear Chuck,

As a designer for the Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps, I am sorry to hear that your lack of interest in our show is found here. I find it disturbing that you were very critical of our show and I hope that after an additional hearing, your views will change.

First, have you analyzed Debussy's "Clair de Lune"? I would love to get your thoughts on the "whole-tone quality we expect from Debussy." If you listen to the parts chosen for our arrangement, you will notice that the majority of the composition centers around an alternation between Db and F minor. Once again, I would love to gain some of your insights on the "whole-tone quality we expect from Debussy" and how it relates to "Clair de Lune."

Secondly, you mention that the "Pit is under-utilized in general." As the arranger for the front ensemble, I find this comment extremely confusing. For almost two minutes, the pit carries the show with its arrangement of "Clair de Lune." I would like to hear exact points in which they are "under-utilized." This is a very general statement without any supporting information.

Lastly, your comment, "It [i am assuming this is referring to the front ensemble] could really be enhanced by more exposure of the woods and warmer sounds. Currently it is brittle. . . dry -- perhaps they'll be adding sustained metallic or cymbal voices later?" is vague. If you listen to the opening and closing productions, there are distinct conversations from metals to woods, from side one to side two and a diversity of instruments exploring a metal vs. wood idea (cajones, thundersheets, djembe, riq). During the second production (Clair de Lune), there are plenty of opportunties to focus on the conversation from warm wood sounds to sustained metallic voices.

Chuck, I am not writing to argue your personal, subjective opinions, rather I am trying to assist you so that your next viewing of the Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps will be a more pleasing performance. If you feel the need to post comments on any shows this summer (performed by any Drum and Bugle Corps), I would hope that they would have something beneficial to offer the performers and instructors instead of negating their work.

Eric Willie,

Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps

I thought Southwinds show was great tonight. The first Corps that took it up a step. Great job Eric.