The maroon and gold gorilla in the room

Since I've been reading DCP over the last 5 years - although I almost never post - one thing has become clear:

Whichever showreceives the most extreme statements both pro and con, and whichever show gets the most discussion, goes on to win gold.

A few years ago, the gorilla was green and white. Not this or last season.

I've seen one show called on this forum "the best June show in 30 years" and "mind-blowing", as well as "terrible" and "a waste." I've seen threads discussing this show regularly exceed 10, even 20 pages. No other show this or last year has come anywhere close to this kind of extremity of opinion or lovehate obsession.

Hmm.

Seems like we've got another year of pushing the envelope on our hands. As they said in the 80s: Zag!

It's impossible to ignore art, whoever's doing it.

The more extreme statements, the more obsessed threads, the more reason to believe a corps is doing the right thing: helping to carry drum corps kicking and screaming into the future.

All part of the design. A great sign for another phenomenal, record-breaking season.

So go ahead. Try some more. Feed your head.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen threads discussing this show regularly exceed 10, even 20 pages.

Actually, I think it's been relatively quiet when it comes to the Cadets in 2006. I know their 2005 show certainly had discussion like what you mentioned, but it feels like people got most of the discussion out of their system back then. I've seen more discussion on Machine and Faust, and now that 'Coats are doing so well they've been dominating the boards.

I don't think we can compare the 06 Cadets to the 05... I don't mean in terms of ability or anything, but I mean in show design... to me, personally, the show felt like more of the same (I was at the B'ham, AL show)... it's one thing to do a great and innovative show one year, which would be 05, but if you don't raise the bar in some way (honestly, we've heard singing and narration before... they only difference was the focus was more on those in this show, thus again in my opinion detracting from the talented hornline/percussion) the next year, 06, then you don't push the envelope the way you did before. The Cadets don't have that WOW factor laurel to rest on that they had last year... the show just isn't different enough from last years... so all their hopes and dreams will rely on what utterly gave them all the caption points last season: their unfailing ability to perfect precision. If they can do that, they probably do have a realistic shot at winning again. However, at this stage which I know is early, I don't see them pulling the same kind of move and sending the same shockwaves through the drum corps world that they did last season.

I've always thought it more Borg-ish than Gorilla like.