Walnut, CA

I got back a little while ago from the Corps at the Crest show in Walnut. Good turnout for the show; pretty full from 15 to 15. The crowd was responsive and seemed to enjoy the evening. I was close to the 20 on the left side, way up high. This is my first time writing a review, so go easy on me.

Corps (In Performance Order)

Hawthorne Gold: (47.35) Had a large hornline, but no volume worth speaking of. Their performance was very short, they must have more in the works. I don't remember much of the music, it didn't make much of an impression on me. Lots of issues with marching and technique.

Jester: (36.85) 6 or 7 horns, two snares, 1 tenor, NO drum major! I give these kids credit for going out there, but there's only so much you can do with those numbers especially when trying to tackle some fairly ambitious music. There is some individual talent, one mello player in particular had some good solos. Honestly this tiny corps seemed to have almost as much volume as Hawthorne Gold who had far greater numbers. I don't know how Jester keeps making the effort and travelling each year. I just hope the kids are having a good experience.

Mystikal: (48.95) "Breaking Free: Deconstructing Utopia" is their concept. The music is what you'd expect from such a title. It just didn't do anything for me. They seemed to "show off" the drumline a lot, although there was a lot of dirt. Gold and Mystikal are blurred together in my mind; neither stood out for me. I wish I could remember more specifics. Yes, they have a lot to work on, but I hope they keep at it, and maybe try some less esoteric shows in the future.

Impulse: (60.10) They have a smaller hornline this year. The show is music from the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie. I haven't seen it, so I didn't recognize anything. Impulse seems to have lost everything that made it Impulse. All the goofiness and light-heartedness is gone, and the show sounded dark and serious. They seem to be having an identity crisis. I'd like to see them have fun out there and once again channel some of the spirit of the Velvet Knights.

Academy: (75.40) One of the highlights of the evening for me. The corps is big and they have VOLUME and the crowd was digging it. The music is fun and energetic and played well. The drill is nothing spectacular, but it does the job and marching technique was generally good. I was impressed and entertained. I don't think even the Spartans or East Coast jazz will be able to keep the div. 2 title from these guys. I hope they move up to div. 1 soon.

Esperanza: (61.75) I was not very impressed by their performance in general, and the music left me flat. They seem smaller than in previous years. I really can't remember much more about them.

Mandarins: (64.40) I didn't like the new uniform, they should've stuck to the old one and retained their unique look. Another show I could not get into musically, but they get decent volume out of a less than full size hornline. There were some players who stuck out of the sound in a big way. There was a lot of dirt in the drill, but it's still early in the season.

Blue Knights: (69.15) It's good to see them out in California again. Lots of body movement in this show, even more than last year. The music is by Barber, and is aggressive and discordant. My favorite part was an accelerando by the pit while the hornline and guard all run into a swirling whirlpool-like form; very effective and the crowd liked it. They have what it takes to make finals, but competition seems tough in the top 12 this year, so you never know.

Pacific Crest: (64.05) They went on after Blue Knights because it was their home show. Their show this year is a complete 180 from last year. Gone is the usual dark theme, and in its place is an upbeat production based on music from the City of Angels. You can tell they are having fun out there. There are some entertaining sections, while some parts are a bit dull. If they can even the pacing out, I think it will be much more effective. I definitely think they should've been above the Mandarins.

SCV: (75.90) From the second they start moving, they do not stop until the end of the show. Fast paced and exciting, this was my favorite div. 1 show of the evening. The drill was frantic and intense and the music was interesting and fit the theme. I think the spread between SCV and BD was far too big.

Blue Devils: (79.45) I have to say I was disappointed. Sure at the big Godfather hit, I got chills, but that was the only thing I recognized until it recurred in the closer. Most of the show didn't stand out much to me. Sure they march and plaly well, they are BD. It's definitely better than last year, but not what I was expecting based on all the hype.

After BD, onto the field came the Kingsman Alumni Corps! I didn't know this was coming until they announced it after intermission. They were a large group and played a warmup chorale, the march from folk song suite, a drum solo and when johnny comes marching home. They are planning on a full marching and playing performance (with 300 members!) at semifinals in 2007 in Pasadena. It was cool to see their first performance, and totally unexpected for me.

Well, my hats off to those who write show reviews; it's a lot harder than it looks! I apologize for my bad memory, it was my first show of the season and it was a lot to take in. I know there will be much better reviews coming in from this show soon; hopefully this will tie you over until then.

Much appreciated. Just one question on Pacific Crest. Same uniforms as last year (black top w/ white pants) or are they different? I heard somewhere that they were being changed this year... but I don't know.

Apparently you missed that other "old guy" corps? :)

Much appreciated. Just one question on Pacific Crest. Same uniforms as last year (black top w/ white pants) or are they different? I heard somewhere that they were being changed this year... but I don't know.

Black pants this year, but same everything else.

At least our score got annnounced last night.

Hey you guys have improved a lot over last year ... especially the drum line. Keep it coming.

New unis are pretty cool as well.

As for the rest, a few quick, random, notes:

Blue Devils: Every once in a while BD comes out with a corps that you can just tell is going to be a juggernaut. I think this year is one of 'em. "The Godfather" is my favorite film off all time, and the corps shows it "much respect." I really appreciated the sense of humor as well. "Luca Brasi sleeps with the Fish" was hysterical, as was the reference to Mr. Woltz and his pet Khartoum. I think I'll brave the 101 Wednesday night and go out to Newbury Park to catch this show again.

Vanguard: Say what you will about the corps' performance over the past few seasons, when you watched them you knew you were watching the Santa Clara Vanguard. Not so true this year. While the hornline has definitely improved, as has the marching, they seem to lose their SCV branding with this "Moto Perpetuo" show ... It seems more like a MOR Cadets-type vehicle. The guard is a train wreck.

Pacific Crest: Someone asked about the unis ... Black on Black with a teal glitter cummerbund. Nice show, nice corps.

Mandarins: Talk about losing your branding ... Mandarins threw theirs out the window. This corps has been a favorite of mine for the past few years, but the wholesale changes make it really hard to relate to them. The new uniforms are hideous (are they really <b>trying</b> to look like Fever?) A bit part of Mandarins appeal for me is that their identity wasn't the standard top-12 wannabe look (bib pants, high-waisted jacket and baldric ... The Cesario special.) Now that's what you've got, and in Orange to boot. The corps was pretty good, but there wasn't anything about the look or show that woul identify them as the Mandarins.

The Academy: What a corps! What a show! Their hornline is powerful and have one of the best sounds on the field. When these guys get on top, you get the feeling that they are going to stay there for a long time.

Jester: Little tiny corps ... Big honkin' work ethic. They do a lot with very little, and have improved a lot since last year. Their show, while ambitious, wasn't over their heads this year. I appreciated them.

Blue Knights: Cool show ... Nice Visual program. I loved the flag designs. I would've scored 'em higher.

Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni: Blew me away. This alumni corps is going to be up their with the 27th Lancers experience at Foxboro years ago ... Almost makes me want to go to the Rose Bowl next year. Almost.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Well thank you very much for your review!

For a first timer, it is great!

I have a question: Is no one going to do a review on the show in San Diego?

I know it's the exact line-up as last night, but I would still like to hear what other people's opinions are of these fine corps.

Hope to see more SoCal reviews up soon!

if Pacific Crest went black pants....what about the drum majors? or does the entire corps now look the same?

The guard is wearing all manner of pastels, with the corps in black for balance.