Completely INCOMPREHENSIBLE Review of Walnut, Ca Show

Jester

...Guard...I'm sorry, I just don't remember you much...

Actually, Jester had NO guard. I mean, zero, zilch, nada. It was sad to see because I ran into most of their guard members in the bathroom at a show a couple of years ago and they were the nicest girls you'd ever want to meet. One of them even happily loaned me a mirror that I could lay flat to put in my contact lenses. Perhaps it was only a temporary, one-show absence due to, I don't know, maybe the Color Guard bus broke down, or there was a wardrobe malfunction, or I don't know. Does anybody know? :blink:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan,

Great review, as usual. I wish mine were as colorful as yours.

You make me look forward to these corps.

Question ?? Do you remember any of the silk colors or styles BD us using this year ??

~G~

G,

BD has a beautiful purple silk that they use near the beginning of the show. It made me go WOW when I saw it.

The horse head, the fish bone thingy.

"Esperanza

I think that Esperanza, who hails from an area of EXTREME musical talent, needs something to give their region a kick in the ### and get more kids out. There appeared to be holes galore in the hornline, and I was really sad to see that. Esperanza has a LOT to offer to the youth of the San Diego area--wish more people would realize that. Their show, Chakra (which reminds me--was marketed REALLY well--cool preseason video), was interesting although I must say without my notes I'm not sure there's much else to say. STRONG guard as usual, but everything seemed smaller and more subdued this year than in years past. I hope for the best for Esperanza and for their future--and I think if I had my notes I could be a little more "comprehensive" with my review."

Walking the parking lot after the shows, I'm hearing they have ~ 10 holes filled with new kids. It'll be interesting to see how that works out visually and musically in the next week!

And Ryan's right - where are all those San Diego kids who should be out onthe field?

More then 10, I have 2 friends who just went down to SD to fill there line.... I heard they will have about 16 more horns.

Actually, Jester had NO guard. I mean, zero, zilch, nada. It was sad to see because I ran into most of their guard members in the bathroom at a show a couple of years ago and they were the nicest girls you'd ever want to meet. One of them even happily loaned me a mirror that I could lay flat to put in my contact lenses. Perhaps it was only a temporary, one-show absence due to, I don't know, maybe the Color Guard bus broke down, or there was a wardrobe malfunction, or I don't know. Does anybody know? :blink:

in mesa they had one flag girl and a trumpet player who did rifle for part of the show. it's possible she was injured or sick

Ryan!

It was great meeting you at Mt. San Antonio. I was one of the two Texas guys that came out West and hung out with Alan Irons. Great job on the review and the whole event as well. It was an absolutely amazing weekend, one that I will remember for the rest of my life!

And Ryan's right - where are all those San Diego kids who should be out onthe field?

I'm an educator, and have so far found this to be true. You can almost never blame kids for things of certain natures, participation being one of them. I'm in full agreement that a corps based in talent and money-laden San Diego in its 7th year should have full membership. Where are those kids? They're in Santa Clara, Concord, Diamond Bar, Sacramento, and other corps across the country. I don't personally know the people running the corps, but this problem should be addressed by them and only them. Personally, I think they're failing to address the needs of the kids. Pacific Crest thrives on its weekend schedule, SCV and BD stand on their tradition and excellence, Mandarins have pride and loyalty built from years of success in div. 3. Esperanza has to compete with all of this while not really offering anything unique of it's own, other than as a training ground for the said corps.

That's just my opinon, though!

So that this isn't completely off topic, I'll say that I only saw a PC, and SCV at this show. I wanted to see Vanguard in warm up, and it was my only chance, because I was busy with Miss Amana. I only have a couple observations. Mostly about PC, I am too biased to give a fair review of SCV, and I pay too much attention to where my kid is.

Pacific Crest-I like the show, I think it has a lot of potential. It's not as stiff as they have put out in the past, and I like that. The kids looked like they had a great time with it too. I love their fat sound. But, I don't think that they sustain it like they could. The sound tends to fall off. I hated most of the guard uniforms, they look like something from a high school play. There is a soloist, and her outfit is a little different, it had nice lines, and no poofy sleeves. I am not crazy about the black pants either, to me, too much black on the field is really boring, the teal doesn't stand out enough to give it any flash, and with the guard outfits being what they were, the color scheme was just blah to me.

Santa Clara Vanguard-I, of course love Vanguard's show. I'm a little biased, I know. I love the music, and I am not a big fan of original music. I love the jazz sections. The drill is awesome too! Sometimes, there's too many things to look at. You have to see this show multiple times to get the best handle on what's going on. It's not all there yet. I can't wait to see it when it's all done.

To address why Esperanza isn't a bigger corps, and hopefully I won't ramble.

In my opinion, Esperanza should have waited to go Div 1. They were at the top of their game in Div 2, and people were really starting to take notice. We went there because of their winning season, AND their great reputation for treating the kids well, but that only goes so far. They had 125 or so percussion show up the year after they won Div. 2. And, had more horns show up than they ever had before. Since then their numbers have dropped. Now, I know I don't know everything about what it takes to put a corps on the field, or what benefits there are to going Div. 1, but it seems to me, if they had stayed in Div. 2 for another year or 2, they could have built their numbers up to full strength before making the jump. They would still have kids making the jump from E to the top corps, like my son did, but they would be replacing them faster because they weren't not in the bottom bracket. Winning isn't everything, but winning in Div. 2 is a heck of a lot more fun than 20 or 21st in Div. 1. And Academy isn't that far away.

It's a great corps, with awesome instructors, and I really wish them the best and hope to see them do well in the future. They gave my son a great first experience in corps, and he and I will never forget it.

Blue Devils

Horns were strong--but NOT QUITE as strong (yet) as I seem to remember. I don't mean not TECHNICALLY strong. I'm talking DECIBLES.

yah i'd have to agree with you. i mean they started off the show great. and they seemed to build it up to the end, but when they got near the end, it seemed like they couldn't go any further. I like their show, but im looking for more out of them still. So, for now SCV has my vote of favorite shows out of them 2.