July 4

June 30th - Exhibition in New Jersey

July 1st - Competition in Dover, NJ

July 2nd - Vacation in Ocean City, NJ

July 3rd - Vacation in Atlantic City, NJ

July 4th - Parades and an exhibition in NJ.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A word to the wise from a man who's marched Dundalk, Towson, Catonsville and Havre De Grace:

Dundalk is a long parade, if you are a drummer, you will hate this parade. 3.5 miles, but it is like 99.9999% flat, so no real issues with elevations.

Towson is a modest Up one hill, down another hill parade. However, the two hills are huge, and the level ground you have is short lived.

Catonsville: A hill to begin, but then straight and flat for the rest of the way. I seem to remember no turns, just straight.

Havre De Grace: Fun parade, some turns.... nothing too strenuous as I seem to remember.

Overall distances: Dundalk, 3.5 miles, Towson: I believe 1.5-2 miles could be wrong, Catonsville: 2.5 miles, Havre De Gace: 2.5 miles.

Have fun and be safe.

A word to the wise from a man who's marched Dundalk, Towson, Catonsville and Havre De Grace:

Dundalk is a long parade, if you are a drummer, you will hate this parade. 3.5 miles, but it is like 99.9999% flat, so no real issues with elevations.

Towson is a modest Up one hill, down another hill parade. However, the two hills are huge, and the level ground you have is short lived.

Catonsville: A hill to begin, but then straight and flat for the rest of the way. I seem to remember no turns, just straight.

Havre De Grace: Fun parade, some turns.... nothing too strenuous as I seem to remember.

Overall distances: Dundalk, 3.5 miles, Towson: I believe 1.5-2 miles could be wrong, Catonsville: 2.5 miles, Havre De Gace: 2.5 miles.

Have fun and be safe.

Scott,

Thanks for posting this information, I've passed it along to the corps.

July 4th - Huntington Beach

The Largest 4th of July Parade on the west of the Rockies

Sitting in a pool waiting for the steaks to finish.... ^0^

Lancers usual Fourth of July tour

Sunday July 2nd - Havre de Grace, MD

Tuesday July 4th - Dundalk and Towson.

Last year Heat Wave made the Maryland swing now it's CGs turn. :worthy: Archer Epler and Yankee Rebels are usually in those parades also. Hope our corps get a chance to stop and talk. :)

*sigh* Havre de Grace will be tough. Last year our long time DM Posey Pfaff went down with a fatal heart attack during the parade. Corps has had black ribbons on our equipment ever since. Don't know what will be worse, marching past the area where Posey went down or taking the ribbons off afterwards.

I remember hearing about The Lancer's Drum Major after the parade last year. It made us all very sad and still does. I worry about some of our less healthy and older members marching in these parades. No one wants to "let the corps down" but really, your safety is much more important. Parading sounds like fun and looks easy but in the heat, playing a bugle or drum or carrying a flag really takes a toll on the body. It gets harder for us every year and difficult to put a respectable number on the street for the sponsors.

The Yankee Rebels and Archer Epler are once again at Havre De Grace and we usually share some food and beverage at the American Legion afterwards. It's good to get together with Archie and it would be nice if the Lancers could come back also. :laugh:

There are usually 1 or 2 competition corps in the parade also. Not sure who this year. Skyliners were there a few years back.

I remember hearing about The Lancer's Drum Major after the parade last year. It made us all very sad and still does. I worry about some of our less healthy and older members marching in these parades. No one wants to "let the corps down" but really, your safety is much more important. Parading sounds like fun and looks easy but in the heat, playing a bugle or drum or carrying a flag really takes a toll on the body. It gets harder for us every year and difficult to put a respectable number on the street for the sponsors.

The Yankee Rebels and Archer Epler are once again at Havre De Grace and we usually share some food and beverage at the American Legion afterwards. It's good to get together with Archie and it would be nice if the Lancers could come back also. :ph34r:

Thanks Robbie, my wife gives me the "pay attention to your body" talk a lot more since Posie passed. And I learned to call her on the cell phone after hot gigs to let her know that everythig is OK. One good thing about Alumni corps is no one gives you any crap if you step out of line for a while. They're more concerned about your health.

This is my third year of parading with the Hanover gang and doubt if we'll be able to meet up with other corps after the parades. After Havre de Grace we catch our breath, change and grab some food at the greasy carnival food stands.... errrr partake of the "unique" food at the stands. Then we catch the bus back. The other day we do Dundalk and Towson "only". Then we hit the hot dogs, ice cream and soda/beer and the Towson AL.

Last year I had the chance to talk to some Archie members before Havre de Grace. Hope I get to talk to member sof other corps this year also.