Cadets Pics?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to see this show!

I can't wait to see the improvement over what I saw in Gettysburg.

That being said, your attempts to elevate what the Cadets are doing (or any drum corps, for that matter) into the realm of critic-proof art is pretty funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

I just don't get the Cadets. I just don't get them. They are like the rebellious wierd looking stepchild of DCI. I'm all for innovation, creativity and pushing the limits, but there's a difference between advancing the activity and turning it into something from Mars.

I'll give them a chance when I see the show in Madison because I really respect what the Cadets have done over the years, but I really think the Cadets need to check themselves. You know, one of those moments when you look in the mirror and say "what have I become?"

I'm nothing but intrigued by those pics. Haven't ever seen anything like it.

Do these unis spell the apocalypse of drum corps? Reading some posters on DCP, you'd think so. Can't please everyone, so don't even try. Usually the harshest critics, the ones who have snap judgments, are the ones who end up eating their words in the end. Or hot dogs. But that's irrelevant anyway. (All the so-called "informed" or "influential" critics who proclaimed this, that, or the other new thing throughout the history of art or music or dance "degenerate" or "distasteful" or "awful" or "the end of ______" end up looking like fools in hindsight. Critics are useless. Parasites mainly. They create nothing. Only pretend to, and make pretenses at being relevant.)

What matters is the art on the field, and the majority of fans who do have open minds and are curious to find out what's next.

And the unis do look very trippy, wierd, inventive, and absolutely unforgettable.

I can't wait to see this show!

Oh yes, the Cadets are untouchable because its "art".

Well, guess what folks, there IS such a think as "bad art"! No matter how much they try and tell you otherwise!

That said...I don't know WHAT to think...I'll have to see the show.

I just don't get the Cadets. I just don't get them. They are like the rebellious wierd looking stepchild of DCI. I'm all for innovation, creativity and pushing the limits, but there's a difference between advancing the activity and turning it into something from Mars.

I'll give them a chance when I see the show in Madison because I really respect what the Cadets have done over the years, but I really think the Cadets need to check themselves. You know, one of those moments when you look in the mirror and say "what have I become?"

The thing about the Cadets that people should remember is that even THEY are not immune to flying too close to the sun and crashing back to reality. In 1986, they tried something radically different for the time with 80+ horns and a drastically reduced color guard. They could afford to do that after winning three in a row. They pushed in 1983, pushed even further in 1984, went to what was probably the breaking point of "oh my god" in 1985, and then when they went too far in 1986, they paid for it. A big drop in score and placement, a show rife with design issues, performance problems which were a direct result of the change in personnel, and the activity never really went into the area the Cadets were trying to lead them.

A similar thing happened in 1991, and some would say 1999 as well. They tried some extremely daring (for the time) things in those shows. Both coming off championship seasons. S-shaped rifles, prolonged literal story telling in the ballad, large tarps covering portions of the field for no apparent reason, etc etc etc. Both seasons saw them drop in the standings, only to return the following season with something more traditional (but still different enough to keep them avant garde).

My gut tells me that while the 2006 Cadets may eventually be the greatest corps they have fielded from a performance standpoint, there could be enough inherent design issues with field clutter, transitions, integration, and focus splitting that it may end up being a situation where they bite off more than they can chew. All this remains to be seen, of course, and I wish them well. But to take a cue from the famous zig zag comment, last year the Cadets zagged when they should have zagged. It was way overdue. But sometimes they try to zag when they should have zigged. I think this will be one of those years. We'll see...

Not much safe about most of them either by the standards that were present when those shows were on the field.

1993, 1997, 1998, 2000, and 2001 are all incredibly "safe" shows and were exactly like every show on the field and every show they've done before, and those are some of their best. I saw no innovation, only great music and great drill. That's all that drum corps needs to survive. Heck, keep it exactly how it was in 1999 for 100 more years and I'll be a happy man.

Well, I love the Cadets unis and whole set up this year. its very psychadelic and reminds me of an acid trip, which is what alice in wonderland reminds me of.

and a side note, i kept looking through the pics, and the male guard unis from Phantom are something that might give small children nightmares.

They remind me of some of the uniforms (costumes is more like it) from some corps of the 80's. Remember Star of Indiana with those wigs and 1986 Skyriders show Wizard of Oz. Bridgemen also had some "out there" unis (Circus show). Nothing new. The costumes are meant to be "out there".