Interesting development in the Amp world

it sounds like "Help us please !! We dont know what we are doing and havent the slightest idea how to fix it" ...great, so good everything was thought of before passing the rule(s).

Get the message, ditch the un-natural sound and electrics. drum corps wasnt meant for this, neither was the football field.

~G~

Hoppy says:

"If this was a normal environment, people would take hours to set up what we have to set up in minutes."

Does this say to you that amps don't belong in this kind of activity? Does to me....

MikeD will appear in this thread in 3-2-1......

I couldn't agree with both of you more!!!

Harvey

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Hopkins writes:

“For the sake of the performers, the audience, and the potential of this program, we need an authority. Can you assist?”. This is my opinion and don’t mean to offend: I find it very unfortunate that it all comes down to the need of a professional, or at least a qualified, sound technician to realize the potential of your own program.

Edited by ContraJohn

Mr. Hopkins writes:

“For the sake of the performers, the audience, and the potential of this program, we need an authority. Can you assist?”. This is my opinion and don’t mean to offend: I find it very unfortunate that it all comes down to the need of a professional, or at least a qualified, sound technician to realize the potential of your own program.

w/Stp:

Wow, last few posts remind me of one of the big reasons I'm against amps. I marched a few years in the small Sr circuit (RCA) and lot of corps had small numbers and small amounts of $$$ to spend. Instead of looking for outside experts or more stuff to buy they tried to put on the best show they could with the resources they had. Unbalanced horn lines, large amount of rookies, etc, etc be ####ed they still put an entertaining show on the field.

Jeff,

All of you are making great points and I completely agree that the best policy is to learn how to use it before you compete and entertain with it. But I don't think everyone in DCI is at fault here. There are corps who really know how to use the technology, and while not perfect, they did approach the situation from the standpoint you speak of.

The Canton Bluecoats actually hired a guy from Los Angeles, a sound technician who loves drum corps and has been involved in some amazing projects out there, to come in a consult and work our sound board. He has been a blessing for us, and while some may say it isn't perfect, I do feel the sound between brass, battery, and pit is very good with Blue.

For my ears, most corps that amp their pit tend to be on the high side, and the brass is becoming somewhat lost in the mix. The recording today are becoming too pit heavy in the mix. I am hoping this gets fixed, but I can say that the Bluecoats did not take this whole issue of amplification, or voice which they used last year, lightly.

Jonathan

oh i know they didnt, tho it still makes Larry cringe:P

but the problem is that THE man who pushed for it is ####### it up royally. and really, even hiring a guy from LA doesnt guarantee 100% success every show.

say it's finals and Blue's system craps out.....and...the judges actually do something about it and Blue drops a spot or 2.

was he worth it?