No Cadets APD

i have a question... if any other corps would have had mistakes that night, like too many wrong notes, or imperfect blend and/or balance, or just a total musical collapse, do you think the apd would have still been released? it really is a serious question.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after this apparent crash and burn why is DCI fighting so hard to preserve the inffalible cadet's myth? fans want to see new faces on top (ie clamor on the boards to see bluecoats top cadets) but it seems like the powers that be are protecting their top seeds.

Not a good idea. If you've been reading these boards at all for the past two years, you probably know that I'm a supporter of amps. I enjoy their use, when done effectively. I would be the last one to decry amps as the downfall of the activity.

However, Hopkins is backing himself into a corner with this decision. The reviews I've read point to major amplification malfunctions, I am assuming that that's the reason the APD was not included. They are the only corps without an APD, and they made this choice because "on-field performance issues". Yet this is a contest that the Cadets won. If these issues are so severe that you don't even want the public to hear them, what business did the Cadets have winning the contest??

I've always defended amps, but this decision states very clearly that Hopkins believes amp malfunction has led to a worse product, at least for that night. If he feels that way, as the major proponent of adding amps in the first place, it would seem to signal to us the public that we should feel the same. If he's confident in the decision to use amped vocals, then display them proudly, don't hide. Otherwise, this feels like an admission that his vision is failing him.

i have a question... if any other corps would have had mistakes that night, like too many wrong notes, or imperfect blend and/or balance, or just a total musical collapse, do you think the apd would have still been released? it really is a serious question.

My thought exactly. The precedent that's now set is that if a corps doesn't perform well for an APD performance, they can just call DCI and tell them not to release that recording.

DCI is probably of the opinion that the amplification problems that night were so severe that they'd be ripping off their customers (us) by distributing a terrible product. I have a hard time believing, however, that the recording is absolutely unlistenable. It's probably more that DCI is aware of the firestorm that would ensue from a recording loaded with amp issues. <**>

Not a good idea. If you've been reading these boards at all for the past two years, you probably know that I'm a supporter of amps. I enjoy their use, when done effectively. I would be the last one to decry amps as the downfall of the activity.

However, Hopkins is backing himself into a corner with this decision. The reviews I've read point to major amplification malfunctions, I am assuming that that's the reason the APD was not included. They are the only corps without an APD, and they made this choice because "on-field performance issues". Yet this is a contest that the Cadets won. If these issues are so severe that you don't even want the public to hear them, what business did the Cadets have winning the contest??

I've always defended amps, but this decision states very clearly that Hopkins believes amp malfunction has led to a worse product, at least for that night. If he feels that way, as the major proponent of adding amps in the first place, it would seem to signal to us the public that we should feel the same. If he's confident in the decision to use amped vocals, then display them proudly, don't hide. Otherwise, this feels like an admission that his vision is failing him.

It's also a poor decision in terms of the revenue it would generate, IMO.

Come in Matt, can I get you a cup of tea ? ?A beer perhaps ?? B)

~G~

I guess I don't understand. I have 4 APDs from the Toledo show....none of them are perfect, not even Cavies. But they release those, and I think Bluecoats had an amp short that night.

On a side note....why is it only the Cadets that have these "major" amp issues. I've seen 5 Division I corps the past two nights in a row. They all came out, plugged in, had a sound guy, unplugged. None of them had a problem, even though I still find them pointless and a waste of time and resources. But still.....do the Cadets use the same equipment as everyone else??? :lol:

It's also a poor decision in terms of the revenue it would generate, IMO.

I would assume that corps are using their APD revenue to help cover fuel costs?? :lol: