My major gripe with the Madison Scouts 2006 show

My major gripe with this show is that...there's nothing going on! It just seems...dead, especially in the opener. Nothing to pull the audience in. Think of openers like '95, '96, '97, and '99...just one fully developed musical idea and melodic phrase after another. Everything flowed so perfectly. Everything WENT somewhere. It's as if each note and chord was hand-picked and placed perfectly.

The arrangement of Gabriel's Oboe...what was that? I enjoyed the solo work but what was with the pit part? In 2003 my band used this as our ballad, arranged by Jay Bocook. Here's a recording from an early-season football game to give you guys a better idea of what this piece is supposed to sound like and what the Scouts could be doing with it...and aren't:

Gabriel's Oboe

The closer was pretty much dead too. I think Phantom Regiment in '93 and Blue Devils in '99 pretty much did all that could be done with that...piece (sorry, don't know the name). Why not go for something original?

(Oh, and you for all of you pushing for woodwinds in DCI, did you notice how "un-drum-corps-like" that clip was? Do you REALLY want those sounds in drum corps? I know I sure don't...heck, I was responsible for some of those sounds in that clip and I still would NEVER want to hear them in drum corps.)

from that recording i think somebody needs to head out to a rehearsal with a dictionary and show them what intonation means becuase that was pretty much awful as far as being intune...liked the writing though actually.

from that recording i think somebody needs to head out to a rehearsal with a dictionary and show them what intonation means becuase that was pretty much awful as far as being intune...liked the writing though actually.

Mind you that recording was taken after about seven full (as in three-hour) rehearsals...and it's a high school band.

I have absolutely no worries whatsoever that the Lassiter HS band knows the meaning of the word "intonation". One of those rare things I'd stake my life on, actually. :lol:

Hahaha...I thought you were talking about the Scouts' ADP and I was like, "Oh my God, that was way harsh!" hehehe.

Mind you that recording was taken after about seven full (as in three-hour) rehearsals...and it's a high school band.

wow, that's a lot of time rehearsing.. 21 hours or so... man, here in texas we can only reherase eight hours a week.

The arrangement of Gabriel's Oboe...what was that? I enjoyed the solo work but what was with the pit part? In 2003 my band used this as our ballad, arranged by Jay Bocook. Here's a recording from an early-season football game to give you guys a better idea of what this piece is supposed to sound like and what the Scouts could be doing with it...and aren't:

ummmm...I found the arrangements quite similar...considering I've only listened to the APD twice and your band once...and am relatively unfamiliar with the piece altogether...but I fail to see what you're on about here. Holler at Sal tho and see if you can run your band out to practice soon so they can "show the Scouts how it's done, yo"....kind of a "You Got Served", drum corps style. :P

(Oh, and you for all of you pushing for woodwinds in DCI, did you notice how "un-drum-corps-like" that clip was? Do you REALLY want those sounds in drum corps? I know I sure don't...heck, I was responsible for some of those sounds in that clip and I still would NEVER want to hear them in drum corps.)

I really am at a loss for what you're talking about altogether...how do these two equate? are you saying the arrangement is un-drum-corps-like? or that they sound like woodwinds? sorry...very confused here... :lol:

Hahaha...I thought you were talking about the Scouts' ADP and I was like, "Oh my God, that was way harsh!" hehehe.

I thought YUCK! what the HECK!

Oh, a high school..... I Got Punked!

Edited by Cop

I really like the intro and the piece after that, but right when the ballad starts it loses all sense of Primal Forces, how is the closer(phantom 93 one) in any way have to do with warriors and primal stuff? is it like the primal tribe is partying or something?