Favorite Battery Arrangers

Jim Casella - I believe no other arranger has done a better job integrating the battery with the rest of the corps. If you can think of another, please share, I'd looove to give a listen.

adding to that and I know he's not Battery but I think Ancona writing/arrangments and Casella battery books really meld together awesomely...just really complimentary to the other.

Edited by Zeke

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the past....all#1's no particular order and I know I'm probably not remembering all that should be on the list....jerry shelmer...bill mcgrath jr....doug klienhans....bobby thompson....richard mecurrio...john flowers....collin campbell....les parks...mitch markovich...john pratt...larry mccormick...eric periloux,,,etc....all great, just different!!!!

Edited by zarblap

adding to that and I know he's not Battery but I think Ancona writing/arrangments and Casella battery books really meld together awesomely...just really complimentary to the other.

I whole-heartedly agree. It's probably why the shows they collaborated on at Santa Clara are among my favorite of all time. Uh oh, you know what that means? Maybe I'll soon become a Cavalier-nut :blink:

From a brass guys perspective.

1. Cassella- It's musical and it grooves

2. Thom Hannum - Listening to his lines is like listening to good jazz. It's understated and brillant.

3. Yoda- Some of that late 80's SCV stuff... oh my.

4. Tom Float - Can I have more flams?

5. Mark Thurston - I love the 90-94 X-men lines.

WOW! Not too bad for a brass guy. I'd acutally put Ralph at #1 even though Jim is probably the more musical of the two.

I'm gonna have to say Macintosh & Hardimon

because both were under HANNUM!!!

from the past....all#1's no particular order and I know I'm probably not remembering all that should be on the list....jerry shelmer...bill mcgrath jr....doug klienhans....bobby thompson....richard mecurrio...john flowers....collin campbell....les parks...mitch markovich...john pratt,,etc....all great, just different!!!!

You left out Frank Arsenault........ :(

farsenault.jpg

You left out Frank Arsenault........ :(

farsenault.jpg

Thanks I know I missed some that should have been mentioned..when drum corps was the real deal. play the hardest parts the best and you win,wish drum corps still had that mind set, they have the talent....

Paul Rennick

Murray Gusseck

Jim Casella